Ares Games

Thread: The Germans have sunk the Victory!

Default The Germans have sunk the Victory!

Before anyone points out that this should have been posted on the ... ahem ...... Sails forum .... just think. It could be used in a mission where the Luftwaffle sinks Britain's most treasured relic from their days of glory couldn't it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damage Markers.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	291202

A big thank you to Wayne (BigglesDownunder) for making such a great model for me.

Probably a mission Tim would approve of !

"He is wise who watches"

Tim could then wear his Flying Helmut to play a Sails game.

Ooh not sure my brain can accept the cross pollination...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Ooh not sure my brain can accept the cross pollination...
    What Chris, you're not looking for another hybrid?

There is of course a historical precedent. Victory was damaged by a bomb that fell into her dry dock during a raid by the Luftwaffe in 1941. I have a copy of the damage report in my office archive somewhere

You should read about the Battle of Falkland Islands in 1914. A French sailboat cruised right between the German and British naval forces without being hit by gunfire.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    You should read about the Battle of Falkland Islands in 1914. A French sailboat cruised right between the German and British naval forces without being hit by gunfire.
    Luck favored the terminally stupid that time!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

German Stukas DID sink an old hulked 74, IIRC...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

On 24 September 1940 a German air-raid severely damaged the former 74 gun third rate HMS Wellesley in the Thames and she subsequently sank, gaining the distinction of being the last British ship of the line to be sunk by enemy action and the only one to have been sunk by an air-raid. She was launched in 1815.

She was raised in 1948 and beached at Tilbury, where she was broken up. Some of her timbers found a home in the rebuilding of the Royal Courts of Justice in London, while her figurehead now resides just inside the main gates of Chatham Dockyard.

(By Danny Robinson, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9267798)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Wellesley_(1815)

"He is wise who watches"

That’s a fantastic story Dave, thank you.... wonder if Tim was flying the plane?

Well Tim does like flying a German Plane so could well have been!
    Last edited by Rebel; 08-18-2020 at 15:50. Reason: Grammar

Destroying H.M.S. Victory would have been a propaganda coup but somehow I think that it would have made the British more determined to win.

Defending a gin, oups, I wanted to say a tea werehouse would be also motivating

Just reflecting on how to sink the Victory in a dry dock.
    Also that we had better get in a fresh supply of Dried Frog Pills before Tim sees that photo of a ship with sails contaminating the august institution which is the Wings site.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just reflecting on how to sink the Victory in a dry dock...

"They'd just blow the bloody doors off..."

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just reflecting on how to sink the Victory in a dry dock.
    Also that we had better get in a fresh supply of Dried Frog Pills before Tim sees that photo of a ship with sails contaminating the august institution which is the Wings site.
    Kyte.
    Alas, too late........................

FAR too late.................................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Oh Bursar!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ooops, lol.. wondered what that sound was, realised it was the grinding of Tim's teeth...

Similar Missions

1. Fact or Fiction (Sunk by a toilet)
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2015, 03:03
  2. Cool pictures of sunk WW II Supply ship
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 05:33
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 09:09