Ares Games

Thread: Buying a ballon?

Question Buying a ballon?

Howdy all. Since it doesn’t look like Ares will be re-releasing balloons anytime soon what are people’s suggestions for aftermarket ones? Not only Shapeways companies but other manufacturers as well. Also, suggestions on stands. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Shapeways has a few to pick from and AIM (HERE) make a great German sausage for $18. Find the Shapeways 'HERE'.

For the ones I've made I use a magnetic extending tool (HERE) and cut a base out of plexiglass.
    How I do the base 'HERE'.

AIM looks the best value for money, bases from the Aerodrome store $11
    https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com...-flight-stands

"He is wise who watches"

Red Eagle miniatures has a two-part foam balloon. I've not seen one in person, have one on the way. Shipping from UK somewhat pricey.
    here

Thanks guys.

How are the AIM models as far as clean up work prior to painting?

Chris, I'd love to here the report on the Red Eagle mini.

Keep the suggestions coming.

I must admit I am a total fan of the balloons on Shapeways! For the quality of the final product I don't think you can go wrong. They are way more detailed and rugged, first time you drop the heavy cast one or have to balance it from falling over on the table you will have a pain and life long worry. Both types from Shapeways are well detailed and so easy to paint and base. The initial price is well worth the final product. All will need painting and mounting so the real question is the cost and investment in finishing. The elves and I would offer our painting and mounting services to any and all who would like a balloon of their own, PM us for details. Balloons add so much to the game I can't imagine life without at least 2. Talk to me, I mean us! We can help!

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Thanks guys.

How are the AIM models as far as clean up work prior to painting?

Keep the suggestions coming.
    Joe, will let you know my impressions when I receive the Red Eagle one. The shapeways ones would be very good I imagine. The price was great on the AIM drachen but I had to wait a couple months. There are "problems with the mold" so I wasn't sure if I was getting 2 or 3. I was happy with the result, although I filled the gaps in places at the join with Vallejo plastic putty in some spots near the back edge, esp on one of them. Some of the horizontal ridge is a bit rough with voids but doesn't really bother me. The fins are a bit wavy on a couple but doesn't really bug me either, but those fins are fragile so that's a consideration. My stuff is stored in Games Plus foam so I imagine things will be ok.

I had searched the store for balloon bases but didn't find them so bought some plexiglass and cut my own. Will mount them with magnet tool -- a stainless steel washer and another half of one are glued into the opening as shown to give a bit of nose-up tilt (the level ones are just drying). Here's some in-progress pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200813_120620.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	291195

Name:	IMG_20200813_120806.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	291196

Name:	IMG_20200813_135721.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	291197

Name:	IMG_20200813_140006.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	291198
    Last edited by malachi; 08-13-2020 at 12:55.

I make observation balloons from LEGO elements, see here.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

The lego balloon is brilliantly cool idea

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I make observation balloons from LEGO elements, see here.
    Thats great. Easily configurable!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    AIM looks the best value for money, bases from the Aerodrome store $11
    https://www.aerodromeaccessories.com...-flight-stands
    Wow, no joke! I just looked up the ones on Shapeways and those suckers are expensive! HERE.

I rather like the caquot balloon, so looks like a REM unless there is another company that produces them.

EDIT: while shipping on the REM is the cost of the balloon it looks like it will take less prep work (ie, de-fuzzing) than the SW’s stuff. Maybe AIM after all. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 08-13-2020 at 14:07.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Hello guys...there are some 3D files for free for the game that you can print out in you closest 3D printing service or in your personal printer. Those files includes planes, bases, and ballons as well.
    Check this out: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...elevant&page=2
    Last edited by Vicbarrera2; 08-13-2020 at 15:30.

Awesome! Thanks.

Well Joe, I just so happen to be working on a group of seven balloons. I have two AIM Drachens, two Shapeways Drachens, and three Shapeways Caquots.

The AIM balloons are very thick, sturdy and heavier than the Shapeways balloons. The AIM balloons look rough, but with a sharp razor and some sandpaper, you can have them cleaned up in about ten minutes each. The finish is smooth and ready for primer. They are also less than half the price. I personally prefer these to the Shapeways.

The Shapeways are very, very thin. When glued together, it is very challenging to hide the seam. I worked it with Perfect Plastic Putty, wet toothpicks and sandpaper for hours. I personally was not successful with this and it remains obvious after lots of effort. I am sure more skilled modelers can do it easily. It’s just tough if you’re a rookie like me. The surface of Shapeways models are highly porous and not ready for paint. Make sure you read up on the different methods of prepping the surface. I use the Clipper “tack coat” method, but use clear gloss instead of white primer. It works very well, but is time consuming. With all that said, AIM does not make a Caquot model, so of you want one, they’re the only game in town.

I would recommend getting a couple AIM Drachens, and a couple Shapeways Caquots. I’d get two of each so you can screw one up, and then make a good one, just like me :-)

As far as mounting, I just ran a short sheet rock screw into the existing hole on the Shapeways Caquot, and hand drilled a hole in the AIM Drachens with a pin vise and ran a screw in. Then I attach them to a magnet stand just like Peter describes above. Very easy and firm. I’ll post pictures of the mounting below. You’ll probably be able to see the work in process on the Shapeways seam. The AIMs were just primed this morning and I’ll probably paint them up in the next week or two.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. This one is freash on my plate!

Pictures for above post;

Name:	CA81FDCE-6436-4478-B990-5D467C57DEC4.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	291204

Name:	B6B65682-4598-4E1C-93BF-D41968159181.jpg 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	291205

Name:	F789A298-ACA5-41C6-A110-68144A3C351A.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	291206

Wow, nice job Dave. Your comments on Shapeways is one of the reasons I’ve stayed away from them so far. Between you and Chris it seems like AIM may be the way to go.

If my son still has access to the 3D printer at college I’ll have to try one of those Caquot files to print. (The same guy has a Zep model in progress!)
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 08-14-2020 at 03:58.

Peter, do you think these could be made to work well with the AIM Drachens? I’ve got them for my Caquots, but they do look nicer than the AIM basket.

I think they'll work. I can check....I'll be back.

I can also make the Parseval-Siegsfeld "Drachen" basket available as a separate product, like I did with the Caquot version, if there is any interest.

It seems like once you hit a certain size, the Shapeways prices go up a lot (and I'm disregarding any designer markup). For instance, a Handley-Page V/1500 costs about double what a O/400 costs, even though the wingspan is only 26% bigger. It's been a few years since Shapeways made their pricing algorithms transparent, though, so it's hard to say why.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    It seems like once you hit a certain size, the Shapeways prices go up a lot (and I'm disregarding any designer markup). For instance, a Handley-Page V/1500 costs about double what a O/400 costs, even though the wingspan is only 26% bigger.
    Volume increases as a cube of the linear dimension, and 1.26 cubed is 2. That may explain it.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Volume increases as a cube of the linear dimension, and 1.26 cubed is 2. That may explain it.
    This is true (especially for the fuselage), but things like wings go up more with the square of the size, since the thickness is kept the same. I think they must also have some kind table in play like "base price if X cm in size:$5.00; Y cm, $7.50; Z cm, $10".

It would be nice to do the balloons as one-piece (plus basket), but Shapeways would charge for the full enclosed volume, since they cannot fit an other models in that space when they are printing a batch. Way back in 2014, one-piece balloons were pretty cheap.

I’d get a couple of this’d baskets if they were available.

I feel dumb -- I forgot I already made the Parseval-Siegfeld "Drachen" basket a while back: http://shpws.me/QR9U, to go with its Caquot cousin: http://shpws.me/MG1h.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post

I've got an unstarted Red Eagle balloon around here somewhere - I'll post a picture and report if I can find it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I feel dumb -- I forgot I already made the Parseval-Siegfeld "Drachen" basket a while back: http://shpws.me/QR9U, to go with its Caquot cousin: http://shpws.me/MG1h.
    I'm glad you mentioned this as I had missed it. Its now on the Shapeways Accessories spreadsheet.

Great balloon shots

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

My Red Eagle Miniatures balloon and other goodies arrived at long last today so here is the promised update.

Gary has had a bit of a problem with the casting supplier so during the pandemic has taken the balloon production only in-house from his kitchen table. He's been trying a new process, a resin skim coat over the expanded foam body in order to reduce surface voids. Mine has a couple of small areas to fill but I'm very happy with it overall. It arrived as a single piece so no longer need to glue two foam halves together. It's not as spherical in shape as a Nexus caquot and lacks panel lines on the fins but looks great to me. It comes with a metal basket and frame that you easily bend to shape and attach. There is no rigging but I have plenty of stuff to try for that. I'm not sure yet if they'll be ramped up in production and available but I've emailed to ask.

I also got some winch trucks, AA trucks, etc. They're a bit large in scale but look great.

Comparison with Nexus balloon

Name:	PXL_20201203_224805690.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	295122

Name:	PXL_20201203_224053842.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	295123

Name:	PXL_20201203_224158832.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	295124

Name:	PXL_20201203_224216042.jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	295125

Name:	PXL_20201203_224311963.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	295126

Name:	PXL_20201203_224607478.jpg 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	295127

Fittingly this also arrived today and has excellent pics

Name:	PXL_20201203_223951516.jpg 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	295128
    Last edited by malachi; 12-05-2020 at 13:41.

Gary at Red Eagle Miniatures confirms the new balloons are available to order. This may be especially appealing to UK customers I'm not a paid sponsor, just thought I'd share the news of a good option for caquot balloons

Red Eagle Miniatures - balloons

They are also developing a balloon stand:

Name:	BM1 on stand 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	295133

Name:	BM1 on stand 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	295134

Ooooh, funky!

Might have to get a couple.

Thanks for the "heads up".
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Looks like a well-done alternative source. thanks for the heads-up.

Similar Missions

1. To the Bar, I'm Buying!
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 05:10
  2. Film of ballon operations in the Great War
    By The G Dog in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 16:33
  3. An little bit of Ballon busting!! (Calgary group)
    By Skyguy001 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 06:38
  4. Dinky A Model Barriage Ballon: an old toy.
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 14:12