Ares Games

Thread: Which bases for Farman F.40 and MF.11 Shorthorn?

Default Which bases for Farman F.40 and MF.11 Shorthorn?

What is the recommended base for the Farman F.40, and the Maurice-Farman MF.11 Shorthorn?

I noticed that the WWI Unofficial Aircraft List doesn't have a column for which base to use like the WWII Unofficial Aircraft List does, instead it does have notes for bases on some aircraft. If someone could add that extra column of information for the WWI aircraft, it would be very helpful.

Comparisons of the lengths and wingspans with those of two-seaters already in the game should give you a good idea about which bases to use. My judgement is that a standard sized two-seater base would be appropriate in both cases but they may need special gun arc markings.

Cards in the Wiki of Linen for the Farman F.40 are small bomber sized, i.e. Gotha G V or Caproni bombers.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

The cards from "Flight of the Giants" have the Farman F.40 on small bomber bases, with a management card also, despite there being only 2 crew and a single engine.

However, since then at least one plane card has appeared in the standard fighter size, with a radically different firing arc.

I'll try to find the pictures and post them here when I get home after Work
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This info about basing models in the FAQ from Andrea may help some:

Basing Models:
    These are the pertinent points from Andrea:
    "Wingspan is what determines the base size of planes (number of engines is not a factor).
    The huge planes with wingspans of 29 metres and upwards (Staaken, Felixstowe, HP O/400, etc) have the biggest base (8cm x 11cm approx).
    The big planes with wingspans of 22.2 to 24 metres (Caproni Ca.3, Gotha G.V, Friedrichshafen G.III, etc) have the medium size base (6.8cm x 8.8cm, exactly twice the width of a 'normal' fighter card).
    Planes with a smaller wingspan up to an undefined maximum, a bit larger than the 14.36m span Bregeut 14 (including the 14.55m FE2 and the 15.24m AEG N.I) use the 'normal' fighter base. The exact maximum has not been defined".
    Furthermore Andrea mentions the potential of a fourth base size (one and a half 'normal' cards wide) for those planes with a wingspan of approximately 17-18m (such as the Farman F.40 and the Caudron G.4), but since this base size was declined by Ares it's likely that such planes will have to go down to the 'normal' fighter size base or up to the medium (Gotha etc) size base, although which is not yet decided upon.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-bomber-stats
    So you could go either way on the basing with the F.40; maybe the standard tandem base for the MF.11.
    If you're buying a custom base from Herr Oberst maybe Keith would make you the 'one and a half 'normal' cards wide' base Andrea mentions. I'd certainly ask him if I had types like that.

Don't see a Farman F.40 in the FotG content list Tim ?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Don't see a Farman F.40 in the FotG content list Tim ?
    Weird - I've got the cards!

Can't check now - still doing the worky-thing.

Found the fighter base card in my "Entente Revised" Album.............

Name:  Farman-F40.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  113.6 KB

I've got some F.40 bases from Keith, and they are the small bomber type.
    The Voisin 3 bases he does are the fighter size, though.

Farman shorthorn - small bomber
    Farman F40 - small bomber
    Voisin 3 - 2 seater
    Voisin 8 - small bomber

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Found the fighter base card in my "Entente Revised" Album.............
    I've got some F.40 bases from Keith, and they are the small bomber type.
    The Voisin 3 bases he does are the fighter size, though.

Wingspan of the Voisin 3 is smaller than the AEG N.I Andrea mentioned so the standard tandem/scout base would be right for that.
    I think the 'one and a half 'normal' cards wide' base would look good on the table. Shame Ares didn't take it up.
    Enjoy the worky thing ...

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks to everybody for the quick responses. The cards that I had printed out to use are the same ones Zoe posted. The small bomber bases for both seemed appropriate for the size of the models too. Just wanted to get opinions from the experts since there were no notes about bases for them in the Unofficial Aircraft List. Greatly appreciate the input!

Similar Missions

1. Official Farman MF11 - Shorthorn - Painting Thread
    By mikeemagnus in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2022, 12:40
  2. MF Shorthorn Card
    By guthroth in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2015, 07:18