Ares Games

Thread: Prevention in the event of death?

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Default Prevention in the event of death?

Hi together,

I dont know if the term is right in english, but the topic is about the case that something happens oneself and what actions you have taken that others especially your spouse knows what you Wings of Glory Collection is worth.

E.g. I have over 150 Planes right know....if I just count each with 10,00 Euro (what seems to be the least what to get)....it would be 1.500,- Euro in minimum.

If something would happen to me my wife would not know what the planes are worth.....and perhaps give them to the kids for playing or in the worst case throw them away.

But even if she would know what the collection is worth...it would be hart for ther to know what eacht plane is.

In the forum I have seen that some offer there help in the case a relative needs help with selling a collection.

My plan right know is to make a list with all the planes and the circa amount of the prices it got each on ebay the last time.

Do you habe something similiar?

Nice point. I will immediately start teaching my wife the individual values. And one LOT price as she will inevitably forget the individual ones The list is a very good idea though!

Telling the wife the real value of your collection could, of course, be the cause of a premature demise...
    I will get round to doing a list with images one day.

"He is wise who watches"

Definitely letting the wife know the value of the collected air forces would be the cause of an immediate premature death.

If I have no one knowledgeable about the values of my collections to take care of dispensing them for her I'll have to teach her the ropes of ebay. Making a list as Dave suggests is a good idea but dangerous. She may stumble upon it and we know what will then happen.

It's a really good idea, estate planning, even if it's only for something like your WoG collection, should never be neglected.

I maintain a google doc, adapted from a member here, and has been helpful in keeping track of my 199 planes. I suppose I should share that out to a couple family members

I can be helped immensely if you have columns for "actual price paid" and "Last Observed Replacement Cost."

"Honey, I paid ten bucks for it back in 2015 but they're selling for a hundred on eBay now" kinda thing. The other thing I'd do would be set up a "Postmortem Divestiture Instructions" doc with referral to several members here who can give trustworthy advice and help get a fair value.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Telling the wife the real value of your collection could, of course, be the cause of a premature demise...
    I thought the exact same thing just before I opened this thread!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A bit of a dark subject but one that is worth thinking about. This is my opinion for what it is worth.

I do not mean to be a party pooper but if you kept it in the family I would imagine your collection would probably end up in the trash in the event of your death. I too have thought about leaving my 150 plus planes to my grandsons but I doubt they have the level of interest to continue playing, and their father would never have the patience to gradually sell them on ebay. They would be looked on as junk vying for storage space.

The best course of action I am thinking would be to leave them to a fellow enthusiast and he could either use them or pass them onto one of the gaming clubs in the area.

If it is the money you are thinking of, it would probably be best to sell them yourself and maybe keep a small number for continued play if you wanted to. That way there would be some cash for the family.

Purely my opinion. Hope it helps.

Something that I started doing between with my father (now 77) and myself is to note important things in our Password manager on our computers. We use 1Password (highly recommended) and put all of our online account information (financial, important dates and locations of things, etc.) in it. All the information is encrypted and we keep it locally on our PCs, not in the cloud. Then we exchange the password for individual 1Password accounts..

We then know to open that up first in the event one of us passes on. The not so obvious part is, you can create secure notes. It has things like - My collection of Wings planes is actually valuable - sell them on eBay. Or, the combination to my gun safe is... My social security login is... My bank account login is ... My retirement funds can be accessed this way... I've got a safety deposit box with this bank... and I rent a storage unit at this location and the access code is....

All you have to know is one password and you then have the keys to the kingdom

I will have to think about what is the best way to act in my circumstances.

Best way is to invest in gold, instead of plastic planes...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Best way is to invest in gold, instead of plastic planes...
    Done both!

Not nearly enough of one, and far too much of the other......

I have a colour coded Excel spreadsheet with all the planes listed. Similarly for all my figures which are photographed and itemised. I like to be organised. Not only would it be useful in the event of me going down in flames but it is useful for the house insurance where my wargames stuff much outweighs the value of anything else.....!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

QUOTE=Flying Helmut;535552]Done both!

Not nearly enough of one, and far too much of the other......[/QUOTE]

Me too, Not the all known kruger, nur the China panda is m choise..and i have an eye in the Dragon rectangle collectio ....
    And there is my Hero Quest with all Expansions
    ....and my Magic Card collection

...I think the best way to handle this is as most of you Said ist to make some Kind of emergemcy folder also with Important Things about House, insurancses, bank Accounts etc...and a list of toys

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

Do you all keep the original boxes? I store my planes separately but store the boxes. Not sure if original boxes will matter for selling, but there would be a major task to put it all back together.

I kept all mine.

I find them useful for "re-packaging" boxless planes I acquire from buying job lots, so I can then sell the spare planes on as "boxed".

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
    ...I think the best way to handle this is as most of you Said ist to make some Kind of emergemcy folder also with Important Things about House, insurancses, bank Accounts etc...and a list of toys
    Add to that a list of trusted friends in the communities for each of your collections with how to get a hold of them and instructions of "Call these guys, tell them what's happened, they'll know what to do."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Do you all keep the original boxes?...
    Kept all mine Derrick, having the box cannot harm and probably enhances the chance of a sale.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Something that I started doing between with my father (now 77) and myself is to note important things in our Password manager on our computers. We use 1Password (highly recommended) and put all of our online account information (financial, important dates and locations of things, etc.) in it. All the information is encrypted and we keep it locally on our PCs, not in the cloud.

Jeff, be careful using windows encryption. If that computer barfs itself, even with back ups of the files, there is a good possibility the data will be inaccessible when a new computer accesses the info. You can get the data back but it is a pain in the butt.

My wife it aware of my collection of games and their costs. So between Star Wars: Armada, Star Wars: X-Wing and Wings of Glory I'm reasonably sure she has an idea of what they are worth. However actually sitting down and adding everything up is another thing. We've chuckled about it but are not sure if we really want to know.

Yet who, and how, to find someone to appreciate them, buy them or both might be something she has not thought about. I know someone what would have appreciated my X-Wing collection, but I haven't spoken to him much since getting out of X-Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    My wife it aware of my collection of games and their costs. So between Star Wars: Armada, Star Wars: X-Wing and Wings of Glory I'm reasonably sure she has an idea of what they are worth. However actually sitting down and adding everything up is another thing. We've chuckled about it but are not sure if we really want to know.

Yet who, and how, to find someone to appreciate them, buy them or both might be something she has not thought about. I know someone what would have appreciated my X-Wing collection, but I haven't spoken to him much since getting out of X-Wing.
    Hence my suggestion of haing arrangements with friends in the community, contact info and an instruction about "call these guys and they'll help you get best value possible."

Similar Missions

1. The Death of the Red Baron
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 08:56
  2. WGF Damage & Death
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 11:40
  3. Death of a Crailsheim E.II
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4