Ares Games

Thread: DONCASTER 2020... Important Announcement

Default DONCASTER 2020... Important Announcement

I have spoken at length with the organising committee regarding this year’s annual Doncaster gathering. I have also spoken at length to the venue and been in touch with our meal location etc.

Now we could possibly work something out regarding the venue given the current government restrictions regarding gatherings, social distancing, however, after much soul searching We have taken the very difficult decision to cancel this year’s event. We have arrived at this decision primarily because of the health situation and the possible risk to some of our good friends. In addition we decided we needed to be fair to all potential attendees, especially our good friends from abroad. We do not know how things will pan out over the coming weeks, and do not want to be in a situation where we are forced to cancel at a later date when flights have been paid for, travel arrangements made etc. There does seem to be an increase in infections of late and we believe that this is the safest and most sensible option.

I appreciate that this will be a big disappointment to all who were planning on attending, especially after such a bad year, but I hope that you all understand why we have had to make this tough call.

I would like to personally apologise for the inconvenience this will cause and I sincerely hope that this does not leave anyone out of pocket.

We will have to make sure that next years event is bigger, brighter and better and that we can have a record number of friends old and new attending.

Thank you...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

That's a shame, but well done for making such a tough decision.

If it's any consolation the Air Show at Duxford is still on that weekend

lol, for now.... but it is an outdoor event
    Last edited by Hedeby; 07-29-2020 at 12:07.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Doesn't affect me but a wise, if tough, decision to make Chris and crew.

"He is wise who watches"

I would like to endorse the decision made by Chris and the team, and also thank them for all the hard work put in that has now been nullified. Also the extra burden placed upon them in the time taken up with discussing our options before having to make the call. Chris our Wingco has had the job of coordinating the discussions both on line and at the sharp end with the Hotel and Museum at a time when he was very busy with other important matters, and therefore, has my special vote of thanks.
    To all the rest of you chaps, thank you for being so patient whilst all these backroom manoeuvres were taking place. I am only sorry that the outcome was so disappointing. Looking on the bright side we will make up for it in spades next year.
    Rob. Air vice Marshal Retired. (And thank goodness for that!)
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Big disappointment but very understandable and tough decision. My thanks to all on the committee for all the "behind the scenes work" involved. Hope to see you all next year.

I can easily imagine how you feel, but this year is pretty crazy. Crossing fingers for 2021!

thanks for all the work put in by everybody. Tough decision to make. BUGGER sums it up. Hope to see you all sometime

Bugger is a perfect summary.
    Thanks for understanding chaps, and thank you for your kind words Rob.

Many many thanks Chris and all others involved - yes it must have been a very tough decision, but under the circumstances, a very logical and sensible one. I for one shall look forward to the next opportunity and shall hope that everyone who wants to join in, from wherever in the world, is able to do so safely. A virtual toast to you guys then and here's to next time -

Sad but understandable, especially with the latest covid news from the North of England

Anyway, see you all next year!

Events like yours are always wonderful for the game, but its the fellowship that matters most, next year will be even more wonderful, and the 2020 pins can become rare reminders of the Covid plague! I want mine now as a historical item! Double the price and we will pay it to have the "one that got away"! Thanks for the grand effort!

Thumbs up

Very sad to hear this as I know how important this Event is to the UK & many European visitors but the decision taken is the correct one under the current circumstances.
    The main thing is the safety of all our pilots.

Thank you for this news. Like everyone else, I am sad but it is better to cancel it now rather than at the last minute. May I add my appreciation for all the extra hard work and anguish you have had to go through in trying to get the event 'off the ground'.

Well given the government announcement today, we would have been stuffed anyway...

a great disappointment but a wise decision ...
    Thanks to all (esp Chris) for the effort put into organizing the event of 2020
    Let's hope we'll meet again (... now where have I heard that before) in 2021. I'm definitely looking forward to the next event.

Good health to all of you out there and see you,
    cheers,
    Guus

ps. @ Chris: ignore my PM
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Thanks Guus

It was almost an impossible task to get a Doncaster 2020 event given the circumstances but I have every confidence that Chris and all who put so much into this wonderful week end will get a 2021 Donnie on the calendar .
    A healthy and safe remaining months of 2020 to you all .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

It was definitely the correct call.

Hope to see all the usual suspects @ Doncaster 2021
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What he said

A good decision Chris. Tough and disappointing for many but the risk far out weighs the rewards. It will make next year a much more heart felt experience for all who can attend.
    Hopefully the ban on travel from the US to Europe will be lifted by then!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    And maybe a few unusual ones
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I was speaking to Tracy at the museum a few minutes after you John, sorry about the inconveneince, really hope the Biggles clan can join us in 2021

Looks like we made the right call after all, if we had gone ahead as planned the lockdown changes announced today would have stopped things dead in their tracks. It is a desperate shame that we can’t all meet up as usual but it was the correct call no matter how disappointing. Hope you all continue to be virus free and as happy as possible in these tricky times.

Thanks for your sage words and good wishes Chris. i hope to see you all again when times get better.
    Rob.

I hope so too Rob, it’s been far too long already, remote friendship helps but there just isn’t anything to replace gathering round our tables (be it at homes or at shows) and sharing a tea/beer along with some top banter and some great games.

Duxford Air Show is going to be a bugger if they are only letting in 6 people at a time...….

Seems like you got lucky last week at the airshow. Could be the last for a very long time

They have just cocked up our Regimental annual Picnic in the Park at Combe Abbey for next weekend as well. As Mrs K and I are staying at the Abbey overnight it looks like a quiet evening on the G&t.
    Rob.
    Rob.

Very jealous Rob, Coombe Abbey is amazing, the medieval banquets are awesome, although I don't think they will be happening. Stayed there on business once, very amusing evening pointing out to the young ladies which of their rooms were haunted. Ended up with 5 of them staying in one room with the lights on all night, lol... I wasn't the most popular person at breakfast...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    .......................very amusing evening pointing out to the young ladies which of their rooms were haunted. Ended up with 5 of them staying in one room with the lights on all night, lol... I wasn't the most popular person at breakfast...

Now getting five young ladies in the same room with the lights out would be much more fun Chris.!
    Rob.

5 ladies plus 1 forumite = covonovirus conditions met no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now getting five young ladies in the same room with the lights out would be much more fun Chris.!
    Rob.
    But lights on low would be better...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Ess aitch one tee - Duxford air show just been cancelled. Wake me when it's 2021

Sorry to hear that, Steve.

Yes, the sooner 2020 is out of the door and replaced by 2021 the better!

You must be gutted Steve, never mind means you can get to Doncaster after all...oh wait... Bugger !

Similar Missions

1. GAMES & TABLES FOR DONCASTER 2020
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster 2020
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 07-31-2020, 05:04
  2. DONCASTER 2020 ATTENDEES CONFIRMATION
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster 2020
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 17:00
  3. Doncaster 2020 Eagle Trophy - New Name
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing