Ares Games

Thread: OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike

Default OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike

OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike

“It’s already August”, thought Dubh Beard, still an acting Lieutenant with 52 Squadron RFC – The British Bulldogs.
    “Where did the time go?”
    He was sitting on the grass, in warm sunlight, on the fringes of their current “aerodrome” in France, somewhere west of Albert, half listening to the distant melody trilled by a skylark, which appeared to be playing in an orchestra, consisting of itself and the distant rumble of drums. Guns plying their trade on the Western Front. The other half of his troubled mind mused on the state of the war. It was August 5th 1916 and the Somme offensive had been raging for over a month now and still nothing much seemed to have been gained by it, apart from a meagre amount of shell torn territory and a lot of dead troops on both sides and on top of no-man’s land.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dubh Beard.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	290789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1004px-Map_of_the_Battle_of_the_Somme,_1916.svg.jpg 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	290790

Added to which, enemy activity in the air had recently taken on a much more sinister atmosphere. For a short while, the Bulldogs, as they were wont to call themselves, had had it relatively easy. But now, Dubh and his peers had begun to notice significant changes. Discussions in the mess had become annimated when someone described seeing larger groups of EA, or when a new type of aircraft was spotted.
    His thoughts on this matter, however, were interrupted when he noticed one of the older, grey haired members of the ground crew approaching at an attempted jog.
    “’scuse , sir, but you’re wanted in the office. And I was told to inform you you’re flight have already been ordered to prepare to go up again as soon as possible”.
    “Very well corporal Jones, thank you.” replied Dubh and wearily got to his feet and headed in the direction of Uncle’s hut.

Not more than forty minutes later, he and his flight had become embroiled in a proper dogfight.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	290791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 2.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	290792

From which they had come off totally scattered and by far the worst for wear.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 3.jpg 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	290793 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 4.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	290794

It began when they spotted a large formation of enemy aircraft, mainly Fokkers, but with a few other types included.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 5.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	290795 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 6.jpg 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	290796

At least one Roland two seater, possibly a Halbestadt DII and definitely two or three of a type they had never seen before. Very much faster, more agile and definitely better armed than they themselves.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 7.jpg 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	290797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 8.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	290798

Dubh was fairly certain that two of his flight had gone down, possibly still under control, but he wouldn’t know for sure until, or if, he got back to the barn safely.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 9.jpg 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	290799 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 10.jpg 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	290800

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 15.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	290801 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 13.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	290802

Of the other two of his flight he had no knowledge at all.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 14.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	290803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 16.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	290804

An unpleasant experience from their point of view.
    One minute there were aircraft all over the show, the next minute he was on his own, with not a ****ie bird in sight, despite turning his head sharply this way and that, up and down and round about in a mad pattern of circles. The air was just empty. Not even an EA to settle his imagination.
    So, there was nothing left for him to do but to head home, west. Still searching the sky and the mud strewn terrain beneath him for signs of other aircraft, off he went. He flew west until he reached his own lines, then he turned north, intending to find familiar landmarks, before turning west again for Albert and his barn beyond that haven.

Name:	CYM5 1.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	290805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 2.jpg 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	290806

It was as he was flying north ,along the line of his own sides trenches, still searching for the remnants of his flight, that he came across a veritable gaggle of Fokker EIIIs heading South East towards their own lines.

Name:	CYM5 3.jpg 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	290807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 4.jpg 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	290808

And that was enough for this hot blooded Irishman. Attack anything and everything, seemed to be the general attitude required of RFC pilots and Dubh was not about to let this opportunity slip by without having a crack at them.

Name:	CYM5 5.jpg 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	290809 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 6.jpg 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	290810

There were five of them. Two bright red machines some way in front, followed by three more. Banking sharply to starboard, Dubh came in on the flank of the hindmost of them, before they had even realised he was there. He opened up at long range and kept firing until the drum of his Lewis gun was empty.

Name:	CYM5 7.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	290811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 8.jpg 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	290812

Name:	CYM5 9.jpg 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	290813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 10.jpg 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	290814

The unfortunate pilot of the Fokker didn’t stand an earthly chance against that whirlwind attack. First thing he knew the starboard side fuselage was being stitched from end to end. Next, something slammed into his side and virtually knocked him unconscious, so he didn’t really know, or care, when his aircraft caught fire and plunged, lifeless, towards the British trenches below.

Name:	CYM5 11.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	290815 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 12.jpg 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	290816

Name:	CYM5 13.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	290817

And, as much as Dubh Beard dreaded setting any aircraft on fire like that, he had no time to sit around and contemplate it, let alone say a prayer for the poor beggar inside it. The hornets nest had been rudely shaken and the hornets were scattering angrily, only to gather their wits and turn with malice aforethought in their eyes. One of their own was destroyed and they wanted swift revenge.

Name:	CYM5 14.jpg 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	290818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 15.jpg 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	290819

Dubh struggled to change the drum on his Lewis then almost threw the joystick over to port. Without any finesse at all his DH2 slewed drunkenly around to the left, just in time for him to confront another of his opponents head on. Daka daka daka daka, daka daka daka daka. The symphony of the skies was played again, whilst now, surrounded, Dubh was conscious of the hornets closing on him from all directions.

Name:	CYM5 16.jpg 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	290820 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 17.jpg 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	290821

Name:	CYM5 18.jpg 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	290822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 19.jpg 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	290823
    (NB At last! Dubh Beard got to use his Bullet Checker ace skill – whoopee!!! What a relief)

Again throwing the joystick hard over, this time to starboard, Dubh banked right, but was not quick enough to avoid the bullets of the two red Fokkers rapidly sliding in behind him.

Name:	CYM5 20.jpg 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	290825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 21.jpg 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	290826

He could almost sense hot lead seeking his soul, although the first rounds hit nothing – close enough thank you very much. The next lot, however, found their mark as bits of canvas were shredded from wings and pieces of splintered wood torn from struts.
    “Its moments like these when I wonder what in heaven possesses me to want to attack such numbers.” A fleeting thought in the back of Dubh Beard’s mind. But there was no going back! Or was there – Of course there was and he flipped the DH2 around in an appropriately named manoeuver which again brought him face to face with an enemy that was trying to kill him.

Name:	CYM5 22.jpg 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	290827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 23.jpg 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	290828

Name:	CYM5 24.jpg 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	290829 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 25.jpg 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	290830
    (Oops – missed a plus one shot against the DH2 here, but on inspection it makes no difference to the outcome whatsoever)

Another exchange of animosity and Dubh noticed a certain lack of control over his rudder. Which momentarily caught his attention and explains why he was a little slow to registered the disappearance of the red Fokker in a downward spiral. Something vital had been hit and a second Fokker was going to bite the dust, so to speak! A lucky shot for sure, if at that moment you happened to be an Irishman named Beard. But, again, no time to reflect, no time to ponder. Just get on with the job in hand

Name:	CYM5 26.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	290831 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 27.jpg 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	290832

As the red Fokker disappeared from sight, so another Fokker appeared before Dubh’s gun. An ineffective snap shot at short range did nothing to enhance Dubh’s chances of survival. Nor did the ensuing collision which neither pilot had anticipated and therefore did not take adequate measures to avoid. Clunk!

Name:	CYM5 28.jpg 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	290833 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 29.jpg 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	290834

Dubh, the luckiest git in 52 Squadron RFC, was almost shocked into insensibility, but realised, when he looked around him, that the DH2 hadn’t even been dented by the blow (He drew an 8 damage plus smoke, but was relieved to be able to apply that beautiful ace skill called “Lucky pilot” - ignore any single damage card during the course of the game - luck of the Irish or what. Indeed the little green leprechaun which he undoubtedly believes in, was dancing to a merry tune after that little encounter).
    Sadly for the pilot of the Fokker, the damage his aircraft received in the collision was not so protected, nor so easily ignored. Down went yet a third Fokker, towards mother earth and Dubh had dispatched his third victim of the encounter, albeit with a little help from lady luck.

Name:	CYM5 30.jpg 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	290835 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 31.jpg 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	290836

And so, with that, the poor little Fokker rolled belly up and wafted its way downwards like an autumn leaf. Whilst Dubh, who had run out of ammunition again, took a few more insignificant hits to his DH2 and decided to skidaddled. Now was the time to aknowledge that his personal preservation, ie discretion, was certainly the better part of valour. It was time to call it a day.

Name:	CYM5 32.jpg 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	290837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 33.jpg 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	290838

He therefore departed the fray, heading westward towards home, leaving the remaining two Fokkers to quarrel amongst themselves over who was responsible for the final near collision – get over it boys!

Name:	CYM5 34.jpg 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	290839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 35.jpg 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	290840

Name:	CYM5 36.jpg 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	290841

As for the dogfight earlier in the day, Dubh was relieved to discover, on his safe return to the family fold, that all four of his flight had found their way home by one means or another. A happy end to the day indeed.

The End

The Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	CYM5 38.jpg 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	290843

A/Lt Dubh Beard / RTB/ 3 kills
    Result – All good

Central Powers

Name:	CYM5 37.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	290842

Fwbl Franz Theiler (normally a two seater pilot but I was short of scout pilots) / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Ltn Heinrich Gabriel / RTB / 0 kills
    Result – All good

Ltn Xavier Döring / EXP NML / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 6 – 3 EXP -1NML = 2 - Dead

Ltn Theodor Ehmann / FLM NML / WIA / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 7 – 2 FLM – 1 WIA -1NML = 3 - Injured skip 1D6 = 4 skip 4 scenarios
    E & E Roll 2D6 = 9 – 1 FLM – 1 WIA - 1 WIC + 1 NML = 7 Landed almost home. Skip 1 scenario.
    Result – Skip 4 scenarios

Ltn Eric Wedel / COL / NML / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 9 – 2 COL -1NML = 6 - Injured skip 1D3 = 4 (on 1D6) skip 2 scenarios.
    E & E Roll 2D6 = 10 – 1 WIC +1 NML = 10 They didn’t even see him.
    Result – Skip 2 scenarios

Victory goes to the Bulldogs with Dubh Beard clearly achieving his objectives albeit with a great deal of help from lady luck.

Notes: Acting Lt Dubh Beard already had ace skill “Bullet Checker”. The mission permitted his one off use of “Lucky Pilot”, without which he would have failed.His success hopefully gives him the permanent one off use per mission of “Acrobatic Pilot” which, although able to, he did not use in this mission. (See Mission BRF for explanation).

I used Dave’s (Flash) D8 solo charts, as always. I did not use altitude this time around and my apologies for posting it so late. But having played it five times already, during the development phase, I was a bit fed up with it, so decided to give it a good break before attempting the Campaign version – so glad I did that as the result was by far and away the best for the Bulldogs – practice (or luck) makes perfect huh? Once again, the cards fell well for the RFC – no apologies for that – I’m on a roll right now and hope it stays that way

Used my new terrain mats for the first time in an official game. They are intended for use at Doncaster 2020, if only that gets the go ahead – going to be a late decision I think. Anyway, hope you like them. Makes a change to fly at a greater altitude and there is less need for other three D pieces – makes it easier to play on

My phone is reaching the end of its useful life – I think the battery is dying. So I’m going to lose my camera. Not sure what to replace it with but this Huawei P9 has done me proud I think. Cannot use the most recent generation as it isn’t supported by Google. The Samsung S20 Ultra has camera issues if my research is correct but if anyone knows for certain that those issues have been successfully addressed I’d love to know – expensive but nice and I depend on having a good camera.

Mike
    Last edited by flash; 07-29-2020 at 10:36. Reason: Tally Correction (-1NML)

I always try to wait for flash to post his 'held for uncle' post before posting. I waited...just a wee bit.

Always great to see you terrain & planes and read your AAR, but I really enjoyed your pre-AAR DH2 artwork pictures. Very inspirational. Thanks for posting and providing a treat for today.

Thanks Paul. The artwork is all thanks to Google I guess. I wanted to try and show as many pics as poss to convey a sense of a confused dogfight - hope that came across ok

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Thanks Paul. The artwork is all thanks to Google I guess. I wanted to try and show as many pics as poss to convey a sense of a confused dogfight - hope that came across ok
    It did.

I repeat

That was naught but amazing.

Three kills for 'One Lucky Barstool' Beard, with 5 of our Adler to deal with.
    We know who will be buying a case of Jameson tonight!

I thought I did well to get one kill and survive.

Well.Done.That.Man

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, Mike me boy-o.

Those red Fokkers look new to the table (but I may just have forgotten them) and your new Over the Trenches mat is to die for.

Great job, all round.
    REP on the way, sir.

[/GUSHING]

Thumbs up

Great stuff Mike!
    Those Irish pilots do have the luck of the devil.
    Well done to Dubh for getting 3 Huns.
    C Flight will send over some Aussie Shiraz to help your mob to celebrate.
    Lovely new mats & Fokkers.
    Rep on its way!

Well we now know where to go to get early way pics to pretty up our AAR's now !
    What a scrap Mike, new mats, great tale of derring-do & a great scenario - you're spoiling us !

Uncle says:

I say old chap, three kills confirmed by the local chaps, all downed over the trenches. What a days work !
    Think you'll be buying tonight !
    Have to say there's been a minor correction to the Tally (in red) - NML is not the place to land... -1 for that
    Ltn Xavier Döring was found to have been KIA when our chaps reached his machine.

A/Lt Dubh Beard is awarded a Bar to his MC for achieving double ace status with his tenth victory and his achievements have finally been recognised by our allies and he is made a Knight of the Legion of Honour (Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur) (LdH) for his efforts against the enemies of the republic.
    He also achieves the full acrobatic pilot ace skill by achieving the double ace status.

PS my daughter always buys Samsung & the cameras have never given her a problem. My wife has her cast offs and they still go well for her too.
    Last edited by flash; 07-29-2020 at 10:59.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks guys - yep I think its a case of drinks all round on me tonight.

The red Fokkers have been around for a while Pete. Picked them up second hand at a show a few years back. Could do with a new lick of paint really but I think I like them the way they are.
    Baz, Aussie Shiraz will always be welcome in this mess mate! Goes down a treat in my home too

All done Mike.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Wow - Thanks Uncle - that's a wonderful surprise for Dubh. Really sad to lose Ltn Xavier Döring though. My bad. I read the notes wrong I guess. RIP

So now, on with the celebrations - more drinks in the mess then - all invited (never had a double ace before (don't think so anyway)).

PS my daughter always buys Samsung & the cameras have never given her a problem.
    Yep - think I'm going to go down that route. Just not sure yet which model. Cheers Dave

Well that was just rubbish, only 3 kills against 5 enemy, what was he thinking of, the rest were there for the taking and he just went home.

That was amazing, well done, as usual a well written write up and some nice planes, I liked the red Fokkers although didn't see too many close ups, but I may have missed them in the excitement of the story.

I was looking at the terrain and it occurred to me that it looked slightly different, but with my failing memory it didn't really register, so it's a good job you mentioned it.

16 photos of DH2's dogfighting, brilliant, I've only saved about 10 of them - Thanks for that, all I need to do is catalogue them the same as you have done. Very professional indeed.

Well, that Irish boy sure knows how to put on a show and Mike has the golden pen to tell it. Well done. When you finally get to play on those beautiful mats at Doncaster there will be some happy pilots.

Well thanks again chaps. It seems like light years ago I played this one out. Just reminds me I still have a lot of catching up to do; including the posting of next months scenario Better get writing

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. BRF OTT CYM - Mission 5 - "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 15:38
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2018, 19:50
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 19 - Flash's "Amiens Brother.." 7th August 1918