2Lt Charlie Parrot DH2 P
    S/Lt Guy Bordeaux Spad VII

Central Powers

Ltn Werner Thomas Blue Halb
    Ltn Paul Wenzel Red Halb
    Ltn Karl Schafer EIII Grey
    Ltn Hiendrick Barnekow EIII Blue
    Ltn Bernard Wenzl EIII Green

Guy Bordeaux found himself separated from the remains of that mornings flight.

Things had not gone well with 2 planes down and nothing to add to the Bulldogs tally . Looking around he spotted the familiar landmarks that would lead him back to the airfield and a welcoming mug of coffee , with some Cognac added he mused. he calculated he was some 20 mins flying distance from his lines, which put him over German lines . Tilting his wings to get a better view of what was below his Spad he saw 5 German crates below and moving towards him. hopefully they were unaware of him as there were patches of cloud around him.

"Time to even the score " he muttered in broken English, He set his sights on the the last of the triple planes , wiping his goggles and cranking back on his gun lever to prime his weapon, after all he was feeling Lucky today.

Surprise was on the Frenchman's side for while , but as he banked to attack a glint of sunlight reflected off the Spad, enough to attract the attention of several of the Germans below him. They turned to meet the lone attacker.

Bordeaux fell upon the nearest EIII A short burst and black smoke billowed from its engine. It turned for home

Wenzel turned his Halb and began to climb as did Barnekow , Bordeaux did the opposite hoping to use the faster Spad to weave through the enemy planes before they could swarm him. shooting wild he missed Wenzls plane completely

Barnekow and The Frenchman exchanged a few shot (2)

A Swarm of planes were heading for the Spad.

Using the Spads superior speed Guy got round behind the German flight before they knew it

.. An untimely jam robbed Guy of a perfect opportunity to strafe several planes .

Wenzel strained to get his red Halb round on the Spads tail Werner opted to Immell

A final blow with his hammer released to damaged round and freed Guys gun. Suddenly the Frenchman was confronted by 3 planes bearing down on him, and another raking high on his tail.

Guy pointed his plane skyward firing as he climbed (1) hitting Thomas.

( side note at this point Bordeaux was hit by Wenzels red Halb with a boom card, which forced the lucky pilot card to be played)

Barnekow pressed home his attack hitting the Frenchman in the shoulder (3+pilot, 0)

Some 10 miles south Henry and Parrot had managed to hook up with each other and started to scan the horizon for there fellow flight buddy. Parrot thought he saw a trail of smoke moving west and tipped his wings , pointing towards the thin trail. Henry nodded and lead the flight towards it.

Brodeaux was a sitting canard his plane stuck in a long right turn. The Eagles converged on the stricken pilot. But Lady Luck was certainly on his side that day, Thomas's shots jamming his gun (0+GJ)

Guy managed to pull out of his circle of death. Thomas was on his six working hard to free his gun.

The rest of the Eagles were trying to avoid colliding with each other,

not noticing that a pair of DH2s had suddenly appeared on the scene.

Bordeaux swung right to allow Parrot and Henry some maneuver room before pointing his plane for home. Flames spurted from the guns on both sides and from Henrys engine (2+Fire)

BarneKow felt his engine stutter as the rounds slammed into the casing

Parrot and Henry managed to get passed the milling EIIIs only to be met by the red Halb of Wenzel.

Firing at the burning DH2 Wenzel failed to make any impression on the sturdy plane.Then a round hit the engine causing it to stall (0+GJ,2+Engine) Fortunately for Henry Wenzels gun jammed.

Henry looked around desperately for his wing man and way out of his increasingly dangerous predicament. A blue E111 loomed ahead and above him, A second just behind that one.

The fire was out but his engine was stuttering badly, Henry dove for the deck Parrot took the lead from his flight leader and turned for home The dive saved Henry's bacon as Wenzls was too high to get a mark on the DH2 The tactic worked While the German planes tried to get a shot Henry kept on heading for the floor till he was back over his lines.
    Parrot sneaked of the battlefield without the Eagles even noticing but he made sure that his wing man was safe in the Allied sector before hanging on his port wing.

Results

RFC

2Lt Paul Henry: (DH2 O) FRTB-E 0 kills

2Lt Charlie Parrot: (DH2 P) RTB 0 kills

S/Lt Guy Bordeaux: (Spad VII) FRTB-W / WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 6 +1RTB -1WIA = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = Skip 3

Central Powers

Ltn Werner Thomas: (Blue Halb) RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Paul Wenzel: (Red Halb) RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Karl Schafer: (EIII Grey) RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Hiendrick Barnekow: (EIII Blue) FRTB-E 0 kills
    Ltn Bernard Wenzl: (EIII Green) FRTB-S 0 kills

Cocky is as cocky does and when Dave rolls for Guy Bordeaux we shall see if he is a hero or zero. Lucky he was with being able to dump the boom card but unlucky for Henry with a fire and engine damage. Was Parrot ever in this fray ?
    Great game much enjoyed, but a loss for the RFC.
    Last edited by flash; 07-26-2020 at 06:26. Reason: Title & Tally adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

May be a trick of the mind but the circus seems to become more colourful at every outing Paul ! Nice little dust up on the way to the barn, shame you couldn't bag one but they seemed a determined bunch.

Uncle says:

Jolly bad luck chaps, you really grabbed a tiger by the tail that time, at least you all managed to get back even if not in one piece. Looks like Guy will be chasing nurses rather than Eagles for a while.
    Tally shocking as always but having checked the images I think I got it knocked into the correct shape !!
    Last edited by flash; 07-26-2020 at 06:34.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Tally shocking as always but having checked the images I think I got it knocked into the correct shape !!
    Nothing if not consistent Dave

Lucky Pilot card might have saved you, but you could've done with another ...
    Tough loss but we Adler will take the victory.

Note that this is Mission 5 - did you ever play Mission 4?

It's always a joy to see you planes in action, Paul, but it looks like you needed a double-lucky-git ace skill for this scenario. Oh well, at least your crew all made it back and can enjoy a pint in the mess.

Thumbs up

Bad luck Paul with the damage card draws but you tried your best.
    Great colourful aircraft & good use of gimbals to make the photos dynamic.
    Have some Rep for a tight game.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Nothing if not consistent Dave

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Lucky Pilot card might have saved you, but you could've done with another ...
    Tough loss but we Adler will take the victory.

Note that this is Mission 5 - did you ever play Mission 4?
    Not yet , although with the lock down it seemed an ideal opportunity life and eventually death got in the way so i am slightly behind.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    ...life and eventually death got in the way ...
    Sorry to hear that, Paul.

These are tough times the world is experiencing.
    Luckily nothing close to home for me yet.

Paul, that was so unlucky. I took one look at that beautiful SPAD VII and thought to myself, tasty, tasty, very, very tasty And I was enjoying the run around it was giving the hun - nice to see altitude being used (tried it once in testing and decided to avoid it thereafter) - then a string of bad luck took over. Avoiding the Boom card was good (my guy avoided 8 damage on a collision) but then taking a 3 wound and your back up getting poor treatment - that was harsh. But there you go, impossible to win 'em all (and that would be boring too I reckon). So, despite the result for the RFC, well played. Lovely visuals, an entertaining AAR and that SPAD is, yep you got it, very tasty
    Rep inbound.

Another great game and report, the scenario has brought out some entertaining results as well as brave victories and also some lesser victories that so far has meant the underdogs have survived which is a form of winning.

As always you have some lovely planes, how you could risk the colourful Spad against 5 enemy I just don't know.

I'm with Dave. Either you have almost as many planes as Tim or it seems you repaint your planes every other outing. Very lovely and colorful!

A tough run in with a group of veteran Hun that had your number.

Thank god for Shapeways

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-21-2020, 09:06
  3. AAR - Solo Mission - Into the Mud
    By Roland19 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 17:29
  4. AAR - Solo Mission - Into the Mud
    By Roland19 in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 04:52
  5. Solo Mission 4: Luftaufklärungsauftrag (Air reconnaissance Mission).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 05:12