Ares Games

Thread: Bouncing With Otto und Lothar !

Default Bouncing With Otto und Lothar !

Decided on a solo game, a 2v2, Albatros D.III v RAF SE.5, in order to continue testing my Fr deck solo chart.
    Rolling dice to decide the scenario set up, the Albatrii got to bounce the SE's and started higher, attacking from the 8 o'clock.
    In order to facilitate the set up I started the Albatrii within gun range as they were against faster opponents - on reflection I think I got them a little too close !
    I selected straights and sideslips for the SE's first game turn then shuffled them up and selected three cards blind so I wouldn't know their exact moves.
    I used my own altitude rules for this game & applied some OTT solo rules. All but one machine were AI.

So here are Otto and Lothar about to bounce Billy and Frank...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2030.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	290645

The Albatrii dive onto their prey, guns blazing, Lothar manages to damage Frank's controls, both the German's got +1's from the dive

Name:	SAM_2031.JPG 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	290646

The Albatrii fire again, neither score a significant hit and Otto jams a gun.

Name:	SAM_2032.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	290647

Otto presses on with 1 gun - distracted perhaps - he again fails to score but Lothar has his eye in and he scores once more.

Name:	SAM_2034.JPG 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	290648

Frank plunges on and eludes Lothar's attentions, breaking his aim. Billy veers right in attempt to break Otto's aim - he fails but Otto's other gun jams before he can do much more damage.

Name:	SAM_2035.JPG 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	290649

Hauling his kite hard about Billy gets off a burst into Lothar that damaged his controls. Otto moves off working on his jammed weaponry as Frank breaks right...

Name:	SAM_2036.JPG 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	290650

Unfortunately for him that brings him back under Lothar's guns and he gets a thumping !

Name:	SAM_2037.JPG 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	290651

Frank hauls his machine into a tighter turn and avoids further damage from Lothar

Name:	SAM_2038.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	290652

Otto clears his guns and throws his machine around with a reversal as his enemies close in.

Name:	SAM_2039.JPG 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	290653

Billy misses his opportunity but Frank lets rip and sets Otto's Albatros ablaze, taking further control damage in the exchange, it is enough to send him home but the damage means he cannot turn the way he needs to go next turn. Lothar reverses and takes up the chase.

Name:	SAM_2040.JPG 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	290654

Name:	SAM_2041.JPG 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	290655

On fire Otto chases after Billy and his turning pays off as he clips the SE's tail; Frank has reversed and Lothar plays catch up.

Name:	SAM_2042.JPG 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	290656

Name:	SAM_2044.JPG 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	290657

They all meet in the middle and the lead flies at very close range - Frank does no damage to Lothar but Billy's rounds fly true, though his Vickers jams. Lothar wreaks havoc on Billy's controls and Otto fairly pummels his SE from a beam attack

Name:	SAM_2047.JPG 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	290658

Frank breaks off and makes a run for it, luckily for him Lothar blocks a potential shot from Otto but did he just postpone the inevitable...?

Name:	SAM_2048.JPG 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	290659

Name:	SAM_2049.JPG 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	290660

In short, yes ! Moments later Lothar slips toward Frank and with a well placed long range shot smashes him from the sky...

Name:	SAM_2050.JPG 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	290661

Name:	SAM_2051.JPG 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	290662

Billy, forced to fly the opposite direction by control damage just manages to stay on the table - seeing the demise of his wingman he calls it a day and dives away...

Name:	SAM_2054.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	290663

Butcher's tally
    The Victors:

Name:	SAM_2056.JPG 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	290664

The runner's up

Name:	SAM_2055.JPG 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	290665

A fun little outing, the Tommy's took a lot of control damage that hindered their efforts and were over exposed in the first turn of the bounce but it could have been worse. The Fr chart worked well for them and they did get their lumps in.
    I flew Lothar, I think that Frank was unlucky to pull some big damage but I'll take the victory.
    If I do it again ** I would start the Albatrii further back so they would possibly lose contact after the initial shots and maybe only enforce the SE's to fly one randomly selected straight or sideslip drawn blind rather than all three, using the charts to plan the second two cards of the first turn from the charts for a more instant reaction to the attack. Live and learn.

** https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-Lothar-Again-!
    Last edited by flash; 10-08-2020 at 06:31.

"He is wise who watches"

Terrific looking action, Dave.
    The angles look very realistic.

I must get those magnets onto some of my pegs.
    The way you have done it seems much simpler than messing with the actual model.

Thanks mate; you only have to sacrifice one peg if you do it right

"He is wise who watches"

an enjoyable read, Flash.

Thumbs up

That was an interesting trial game Dave.
    I agree that the Albatross had a big advantage starting so close so would be good to replay with a bigger starting distance.

Cheers mate, I'll have to see if I can squeeze in another go at it.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for sharing, Dave, that was great!

Cheers Chris, glad you enjoyed it.

"He is wise who watches"

Great little scenario, Dave! Thanks for posting it.

One question - what does the "Straight" counter on the aircraft base signify?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Tim.
    I use those counters to remind me of rudder damage next turn, 'cos I can easily forget by end of turn, and I don't always take them off straight away. It's saved me making errors a number of times, particularly with AI, as I tend to place the card selection by the model before the start of a move & spot the counter.

"He is wise who watches"

Good idea!

Enjoyed that Dave, thanks. Seems the new chart is working really well. As for the starting position, I bet that happened for real on many occassions. Interesting that the gun jam card only takes out one gun - is that something else I've been missing for all these years
    Nice pics too - thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Interesting that the gun jam card only takes out one gun - is that something else I've been missing for all these years
    House Rule.

Two such House Rules I have occasionally used......

1) any Jam card takes out one gun; the player can fight on with the other 'B' gun, but cannot attempt to unjam while doing so. The player can try to unjam instead, but must spend 3 uninterrupted (non-shooting!) cards in order to succeed; if he stops to fire the other gun, the number of cards required resets to three.

2) a Green Jam card jams one gun, and a Red Jam card jams both. A double jam (only possible on a short-range shot, or a "Sniper" ace card shot) PERMANENTLY jams that one gun (double Green, or Red + Green) or both (double Red)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Enjoyed that Dave, thanks. Seems the new chart is working really well. As for the starting position, I bet that happened for real on many occassions. Interesting that the gun jam card only takes out one gun - is that something else I've been missing for all these years
    Nice pics too - thanks for sharing
    Something I've always done for machines with two separate types of MGs like the SE or Nieuport Mike. Thought I'd try extending it to the twin mounts as they fire independently it seems. That would work for your balloon busting at Donnie - load one with ball ammo & one with incendiary, shoot B's.
    There is an optional rule in OTT if you look in post #1 of the sticky and Andrea has posted rules for it in the past. I played it simply though - didn't worry about colour or number of jam.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-shooting-rule

Our battling duo's will be back in a rematch soon
    Last edited by flash; 07-27-2020 at 09:01.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Following the bouncing ball..
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-03-2018, 01:14
  2. AAR: Otto's D.II workout
    By TGalante in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 13:09
  3. Otto Parschau
    By christophe fran in forum WGF: Historical Discussions