Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways the Clipper Way Part 2

Default Shapeways the Clipper Way Part 2

So you have been a good pilot and waited patiently for the mail . . . you have checked in on their web site every ten minutes and suddenly the box says "SHIPPED!", then the knock on the door . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200721_173824_resized.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	290568

It's like Christmas! the box is opened and magic appears . . . cue the drama music!

Name:	20200721_173952_resized.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	290569

Wahaha! You've got planes!

Name:	20200721_174020_resized.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	290570

Inspect them well. Make sure the parts are all there. If there is some deformation or warping - very rare in my experience . . . they can be dipped in very hot water and they will return to their proper form.

Name:	20200721_174047_resized.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	290571

These are beauties! Not everyone has such fine detail, more on this later. Love the ribs and pilots here though!

Name:	20200721_174128_resized.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	290572

Don't be skinchy, buy a handful for more fun! Take a look at that landing gear! Awesome!

Name:	20200721_174232_resized.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	290573

Bath time! I wash them gently in warm water and a soft camel hair paint brush to get rid of any dust residue, then a bit of sunshine to dry them thoroughly . . . Now for the super secret stuff. Sneak to Walmart while no one is watching and buy an arm load of these two items . . . only these two items! Substitutes are many, but this combo is super!

Name:	20200721_174619_resized.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	290574

A few words about the filling process. The models are formed by tiny microscopic spheres of a nylon plastic sintered into the beautiful item in your hand. A close look with a magnifying glass will reveal the surface texture as very porous, but strong. Our goal is to fill in all the pours with something smooth and shinny. Rust-oleum 2X clear spray is perfect for our job. I use clear here for a few important reasons, first you want to fill in the pours with something that will penetrate the fine holes and fill in behind them, but allow light refraction. This means fill the holes and still be able to see the subsurface. The gloss spray has the highest percentage of dissolved solids, which is why it dries glossy, and also important for us it dries fast! The matte finish is for later . . .

Name:	20200721_174747_resized.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	290575

Lay the models out on a flat surface upside down. You may want to do one first before multiples but the elves are frenetic . . . before you spray, make sure you have good ventilation, I have a fan set up to flip on that sucks the fumes away from the workbench and into the neighbors yard . . . a word on spray painting: the can says to shake it well. That means shake it vigorously for a full 3 minutes! Use a timer! This is important. To properly mix the paint and the solvent and the propellant in the can, aggressive shaking must be done. I have ruined many a simple spray paint project by not shaking adequately and instead of good paint flow I get blobs of solvent and paint and a goopy product! Test spray on a sheet of cardboard before spraying the model. This is also key for second and third coats as a heavy solvent spray can actually dissolve and lift the first coat of paint-not a pretty picture either. By the way I always have a small jelly jar filled with acetone handy in case the painting goes bad, drop the plane into the acetone and re try later.

Name:	20200721_174750_resized_1.jpg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	290576

Notice the spacing, angle of the spray and distance from the model. I like to give a quick light coat first, you can seen the sheen on the models, this is a tack coat applied in a one sweep down the line of planes. I rotate the base board 90 degrees and make another pass, until all sides are coated lightly. Then before the first coat dries, I do another sequence of passes with a rather wet coat, again you can see the gloss build on the planes. The trick is to do this fast enough and not to let the paint run. It will take some practice but it is a good way to lay down a clean base coat.

Name:	20200721_174911_resized.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	290578

I then carefully flip the models onto their landing gear and repeat on the top side, making sure the top of the lower wings get a good coat. In this next shot you can see I also angle the base card board so the top surface of the wings are level, this prevents pooling and running on the wings . . .

Name:	20200721_175140_resized.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	290577

Once you are satisfied that the sides and tops have an even coat of paint set the fan to blow a constant flow of air over the models and leave them over night to dry. Day two, second coat. This time you will see the fill we want, the gloss should be smooth. Again let cure until the model is not tacky at all! Then let it cure one more day. I normally only need two coats to make the surface ready to paint with no bumps or roughness.

Name:	20200721_175020_resized.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	290579

Final base color time. I like to use the pictured colors as base coats. The off white gives a natural linen look I like. Again use the Rust-Olum 2X paints. Many great colors are available in gloss or matte. The gloss ones add another layer of smoothness. Now here is another great secret. Not all spray paints are the same, many are not compatible and will curdle or lift and react horribly, always at the final coat. So the elves have a trick. As you paint the clear coats on the cardboard you will begin to build up an over spray area on the surface. Use this area for a test spray area when you want to change paints. The reaction is better here than on your model! In the photo I show this process with an automotive lacquer I am fond of . . .

Name:	20200722_092543_resized.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	290580

I chose these four colors for the Fokkers - note the gray is NOT a primer gray-they are not smooth enough for this stage of the game.

Name:	20200722_092628_resized.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	290581

Use the same process as the clear spray on the colors, You will be painting all the details later so do not worry about masking yet . . .

Name:	20200722_093148_resized.jpg 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	290582

Again be patient, colors must be cured well before the final detail painting and decals will happen, that's Part 3 . . .

Name:	20200724_091459_resized_1.jpg 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	290583

thanks! this is useful. i had some problems with recent projects with the paint cracking and separating after clearcoating. i suspect it was because of lack of patience on my part after reading this.

I always do a base coat of primer gray before painting. After paint and decals I do the matt coat. Have to try the gloss before I do the painting. Thanks for this tip form a master, IMHO.

I always make sure I have a good amount of time when I first open a box from Shapeways. Inspection and admiration.

My favorite has been Krylon gloss and matte. They used to make an ultra flat black that I really loved for a primer but I haven't seen it in years so think they don't make it anymore.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I have a fan set up to flip on that sucks the fumes away from the workbench and into the neighbors yard . . .

A trick for the drying step: put a card board box on spacers over the wet planes, to avoid dust particles in the varnish or colour layer.

Do Shapeways versatile plastic models survive an Aceton bath?

Good ideas all. The acetone does not affect the versatile plastic. I have much to say on matte sprays over gloss, we'll talk more on this later . . .

Great post -- I've added a link to it to the sticky thread about surface preparation.

I'm definitely trying the tack-coat/wet-coat method the next time I get to painting.

Those are American brands of paint. Have you any advice on how to find equivalent products in other countries, please?

Sorry, haven't a clue, one day though I dream of traveling to the U. K. with that quest in heart as well as sampling the Gins of Britannia : )

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Those are American brands of paint. Have you any advice on how to find equivalent products in other countries, please?
    I did a search and it looks like Bunnings (an Australian hardware chain) stocks this range.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-ole...paint_p1580817
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 07-29-2020 at 01:00.

Excellent! The thing to avoid is super cheap paint, slow to cover and to dry. The automotive stores still sell solvent based spray paints, I found a gloss clear lacquer for coating custom wheels to be an option as well.

I have discovered that Rust-Oleum products are available from many sources in the United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have discovered that Rust-Oleum products are available from many sources in the United Kingdom.
    Lovely! Full speed ahead then!

So the British wing has arrived. 4 DH-2's

Name:	20200802_094920_resized.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	290967

2 high gloss clear coats have rendered a nice finish, ready for base color.

Name:	20200802_095653_resized.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	290968

Since there are a lot of struts involved I have decided to spray the entire model a light tan that works for the bottom side of the wings and stabilizer. That way a coat of green/brown will be needed for the tops and no struts need be hand painted, rather clever of the lazy elves . . .

Name:	20200806_133749_resized.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	290969

One careful coat works great!

Name:	20200806_134115_resized.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	290970

Next part 3 we detail paint, pegs, and decals.

Thanks for write up! Whose DH2s are those? The surface looks better than the EIIIs out of the box.

The Dh-2's are from our very own Daryl at Reduced Aircraft Factory. Excellent models!

This is a great post! I’m going to tweak my method (which came from your previous posts) in a few ways now. Thank you!

I have to say that the Rustoleum 2X series are far superior in this application. That nice, thick, smooth coat they produce is just what the doctor ordered for Shapeways. I’ve tried other brands and still have a rough surface after four coats.

I have been spending what limited time I have prepping the planes I want to paint this winter. Using spray cans during Maine winters is not easy.

A new step I’ve added to this process is quickly hitting the entire plane with some 2500 grit sandpaper after the first gloss coat cures. Then giving it a quick warm water wash and allow to fully dry before doing gloss coat #2. I’ve found that the second coat of gloss comes out glass smooth and you don’t have to lay it on as thick. It seems to preserve a little more detail and ensure that no matter how rough the base model was, a third coat is never needed.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I would be interested to know what Clipper has to say about Marr/Flat over gloss.
    After painting (all models regardless of genre) I will use a gloss coat ( same brand as what Clipper uses) on the miniature prior to applying decals. Reason for this is to prevent the 'frosting' that can occur if decals are applied over 'paint'. Now I have found that this only usually happens when applying decals to 'flat' based paints and not so much with Gloss based.
    Since I normally only use flat based for my projects, I apply a coat of gloss sealer before applying decals.
    I also will use decal sol and decal set on textured or uneven surfaces.
    Once the decals have completely dried, then I will give the mini a final top coat of a flat clear to seal in the decals and protect them from being rubbed off during play.
    I like to give the minie's at least two coats allowing the first coat to dry to the touch then apply the second coat. Then let that coat 'cure'.

Interesting. I apply my decals on flat paint and have never had any trouble. I use micro sol and set. After applying the decals I paint on a clear matte over them. When the plane is finished with painting I then will clear gloss the whole plane, then clear flat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Interesting. I apply my decals on flat paint and have never had any trouble. I use micro sol and set. After applying the decals I paint on a clear matte over them. When the plane is finished with painting I then will clear gloss the whole plane, then clear flat.
    What I have found is when applying a flat clear coat straight over applied decals onto flat painted object, that frosting often occurs. Also the not printed edges of the decals are visible.
    What I have found too is that moving and adjusting decals is much easier on a gloss surface vs a flat or un lacquered flat surface.
    I have been doing decals this way for years and works very well.

Similar Missions

1. General Shapeways the Clipper Way Part 1
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-28-2020, 17:43
  2. Don't tell Clipper
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-20-2017, 03:10
  3. THANK YOU Clipper!!!
    By Thomatchef in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16