Ares Games

Thread: Some kind of HERO

Default Some kind of HERO

Just received this from a friend. Here is the story. Great story.

Saw this on Air Medal facebook site. Just fyi: This dude sounds like a stud, at a time when being Japanese-American was extremely difficult. Served in both theaters during WWII. I'd read a biography on his service.
    Pin-Ups For Vets
    1d ˇ
    HERO Ben Kuroki...“I had to fight like hell for the right to fight for my own country.”
    Kuroki, a Nebraska farm boy, somehow slipped through the filter that placed all Japanese American enlistees in segregated units during WWII, and he became a gunner in a B-24 squadron based in Europe. He served with distinction and completed 30 combat missions, more than the standard full tour of 25.
    He returned to the United States for rest and recuperation. Kuroki returned to the fight by serving another full tour of duty as a B-29 gunner in the Pacific. He was the only Japanese American to serve in air combat in the Pacific, and one of very few soldiers at all to have fought in both the European and Pacific theaters. He completed a total of 58 combat missions and was awarded three Distinguished Flying Crosses and the Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters. See Less

Yes, he was a hero. I salute him.

That is pretty amazing! Thanks!!

A true hero. Incredible what he did with what the US did to Japanese Americans.

Thumbs up

I salute him for what he achieved against the odds!

man! what a badass! just think of the risk he was taking flying over japanese territory. as unkind as they were to any allied aircrew, i think theyd have shown him particular ire.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    man! what a badass! just think of the risk he was taking flying over japanese territory. as unkind as they were to any allied aircrew, i think theyd have shown him particular ire.
    To them, one Japanese gene meant you were a subject of the Emperor and fighting against them made you a traitor no matter what your nominal citizenship. This is the other reason most Nisei who served were sent to the ETO, and IIRC most of the few who went PTO were mainly stuck as translators and similar.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    To them, one Japanese gene meant you were a subject of the Emperor and fighting against them made you a traitor no matter what your nominal citizenship. This is the other reason most Nisei who served were sent to the ETO, and IIRC most of the few who went PTO were mainly stuck as translators and similar.

so not only would the japanese captors have the usual animus they showed allied aircrew that had the misfortune to fall in their hands, but theyd consider him a traitor to boot. and he surely had to know this. all the more amazing.

Certainly deserves to be on the list of bad-ass dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    so not only would the japanese captors have the usual animus they showed allied aircrew that had the misfortune to fall in their hands, but theyd consider him a traitor to boot. and he surely had to know this. all the more amazing.
    Ironically, an American citizen who was in college in Japan and unable to get out before the War found himself conscripted and then captured... he eagerly guided Kenney's B-25s to his old unit's HQ, flying the mission in a waist-gunner position.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

i seem tp remember a couple stories of several non japanese but of japanese heritage students stuck in japan when the war happened being conscripted unwillingly into japans military.

Similar Missions

1. A Hero is a Hero - even if he's fighting in the wrong side
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 08:34
  2. Is this some kind of record?
    By Spring-Chicken in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-28-2015, 09:59
  3. Last of its kind JRS-1
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11