Ares Games

Thread: CYM Mission 4 - A Hunting We Will Go - July 27th 1916 - Gully_raker

Default CYM Mission 4 - A Hunting We Will Go - July 27th 1916 - Gully_raker

Set Up
    As per the BRF I rolled for the German Aircraft & achieved a Albatros C.III to arrive at point 12
    The 2 Allied Aircraft arrived at point 10

Introduction

Lt. Reginald Fife-Brand the C flight commander called Flt Sgt Brandon Stark to the C Flight Hut.
    "Ah Bran I have a job for you today. Our latest arrival F/Sgt Alan Foyle needs some experience over the lines & in combat. I want you to take him & see if you can jump a Hun 2 seater & let him lead the Hunt. However I want you to make sure he returns safely as we can ill afford any personnel losses during the Somme Offensive. Trained pilots are virtually non existent!" "As our leading scorer & only Ace I think this is just the job for you!"
    Bran saluted & said "Thank you Sir for your confidence & I will do my very best to blood him & keep him safe"

Later that morning the 2 pilots set off with Bran flying DH-2, C 1 & Al Foyle in C 3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 264.5 KB  ID: 290420" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 250.0 KB  ID: 290421" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 252.4 KB  ID: 290422" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the two Allied pilots flew over the trench lines they spied the familiar shape of an Albatross 2 seater approaching from their Port side. Rocking his wings & pointing, Bran signalled to Allen Foyle to take the lead. He was soon in range & exchanged shots with the German Observer. Both caused minor damage to their respective rudders.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 211.2 KB  ID: 290423" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The DH-2 closed & inflicted more damage to the Albatross but the German only succeeded in jamming his Spandau.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 211.6 KB  ID: 290424" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

In an advantageous position Sgt Foyle continued to damage the German plane however he had used up his ammo & needed to change drums.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 200.2 KB  ID: 290425" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

In the meantime a German Fokker E.III had made an appearance from the same direction as the Albatross & 2nd Lt. Jimmy Lannister in DH-2, C 2 had also joined the action from the side & immediately fired at the Albatross but his shots missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 223.7 KB  ID: 290427" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 177.3 KB  ID: 290426" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bran Stark now got the opportunity to shoot at the C.III while Alan cursed his missed opportunity as he changed the drum on his Lewis.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 29  Size: 175.9 KB  ID: 290428" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Jim Lannister again targeted the Albatross & although his gun soon jammed he saw the German Observer jerk in his seat & disappear below his cockpit!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 197.4 KB  ID: 290429" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bran Stark closed on the Hun 2 seater causing more damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 219.8 KB  ID: 290430" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

This was just too much for the badly damaged Albatross & it fell to the ground in enemy territory!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 256.8 KB  ID: 290431" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Soon another German 2 seater appeared from the German Lines. This time a colourful Roland.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 240.3 KB  ID: 290432" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Lannister was helpless as the newly arrived Fokker had a frontal attack on his De Haviland but fortunately the shots went wide.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 31  Size: 214.4 KB  ID: 290433" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The newly arrived Roland was obviously making for some target behind the British trenches as Lannister & the Green E.III passed each other.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 31  Size: 179.3 KB  ID: 290434" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Brandon Stark immediately attacked the Roland but his shots went wide. Bran was able to avoid the return fire from the Roland using his Ace ability.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 239.3 KB  ID: 290435" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the Roland passed the observer managed to inflict a minor flesh wound in Bran's left shoulder.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 201.2 KB  ID: 290436" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Roland now took a photo of one of its targets.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 31  Size: 232.8 KB  ID: 290437" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

This German was good. As the observer fired over the wing his shots passed just in front of the DH-2 but the pilot managed to wound Sgt Foyle in the meaty part of his left shoulder causing him intense pain.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 31  Size: 179.0 KB  ID: 290438" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

James Lannister took a shot at the Roland while the observer was busy taking a second photograph but his shot missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 202.1 KB  ID: 290439" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Fokker & Bran Stark nearly collided but they were able to take avoiding action.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 145.7 KB  ID: 290440" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Jim Lannister also took the opportunity for a shot while the German Observer was busy taking the photo but his gun jammed after a few shots!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 22.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 228.5 KB  ID: 290441" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German observer sent Jim a parting gift as his pilot turned the Roland for home with the 2 photos.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 23.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 157.3 KB  ID: 290442" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bran Stark & the Green Fokker seemed to have a "Fatal Attraction" to each other as this time they did collide with the De Havilland's landing gear causing severe damage to the E.III's wing warping wires.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 24.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 167.7 KB  ID: 290443" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the wounded Sgt Foyle made his way back to the Bulldogs aerodrome he narrowly avoided a collision with the Roland.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 25.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 187.2 KB  ID: 290444" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Using its speed the Roland made for the safety of home.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 27.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 140.8 KB  ID: 290445" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Remembering Lt.Fife-Brand's orders Bran Stark who had also received a flesh wound & realising he could not catch the Roland headed back to base to shepherd the wounded Foyle to safety.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 29.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 251.1 KB  ID: 290446" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Roland accompanied by the Green Fokker E.III were safely out of reach of any of the British aircraft & successfully landed with the 2 photos.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 30.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 231.9 KB  ID: 290447" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The three British aircraft likewise safely returned to their home drome.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 31.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 156.4 KB  ID: 290448" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Notes & Observations

I decided to call the Game at Turn 11 as it seemed like a good conclusion to a most enjoyable scenario.
    I used Dave's D8 charts & no altitude was used in this game.

VICTORY POINTS

British
    2 points Albatross 2 seater Shot Down

German
    2 points for 2 seater successfully exiting
    2 points for 2 photos returned
    1 point for DH-2 FRTB-W

Total 5 Points

GERMAN VICTORY
    Last edited by flash; 07-21-2020 at 01:19. Reason: Title adjust

Default The BUTCHERS BILL!

British Forces.

F/Sgt. Brandon Stark: (DH-2 C 1) RTB / WIA - 1 kill (Albatross C.III)
    Rolled 8 -1 WIA +1 RTB +1 ACE =9 All's well when you land well.

Name:	<acronym title=BB 04.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 192.3 KB  ID: 290449" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

F/Sgt.Allan Foyle: (DH-2 C 3) FRTB-W / WIA - 0 Kills
    Rolled 7 -1 WIA+1 RTB = 7 Inj - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 4 Skips 2

Name:	<acronym title=BB 06.jpg  Views: 31  Size: 187.9 KB  ID: 290450" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt. James Lannister: (DH-2 C 2) RTB - 0 Kills

Name:	<acronym title=BB 05.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 133.3 KB  ID: 290451" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

GERMAN FORCES

Obltn Helmet Dahlmann: (pilot Albatross C.III) SD-ET - 0 kills
    Rolled 6 -1SD = 5 Inj - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skips 3
    E&E: Rolled 9 -1 WIC - 1 ET = 7 - Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario

Ltn Max Manschott: (ObserverC.III) SD-ET / WIA - 0 Kills
    Rolled 10 -1SD -1WIA = 8 Inj - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 3--Skips 1
    E&E: Rolled 4 -1WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 1 -Captured! The war ended for this flyer.

Name:	<acronym title=BB 01.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 205.5 KB  ID: 290452" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Julius Schneider: (Fokker E.III green) RTB - 0 Kills

Name:	<acronym title=BB 02.jpg  Views: 32  Size: 110.1 KB  ID: 290453" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Vzfwbl Fridrich Schlieff: (Pilot -Roland C.II) RTB - 0 Kills

Ltn. Franz Theiller: (Observer - Roland C.II RTB 0 Kills. 2 photos

Name:	<acronym title=BB 03.jpg  Views: 30  Size: 175.1 KB  ID: 290454" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by flash; 07-21-2020 at 05:17. Reason: Tally Correction

Hard lines Baz, didn't get the win but still got a good game out of it.

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps, you gave it your best but we must learn to do better, those blighter's got away with their photo's and that just won't do. At least you all managed to get back, if not all in one piece, and Stark managed to bag another so it's not all bad news.

Another Morecambe & Wise Butcher's Tally there Baz - all the right notes, just not in the right order !
    This is what I'm looking for: Pilots name / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories
    eg: Lt Stan Deasey / SD-ET / WIA / 1 Kill (note all on one line)
    Then the C/W rolls
    Then the E&E rolls beneath.

Cheers
    Last edited by flash; 07-21-2020 at 05:42.

"He is wise who watches"

Close to taking out the other Hun planes but with Allan’s wound forcing him to return to base it made sense to end it when you did. Another victory for Bran - on his way to being a double ace? Worth a pint at the mess.

Well played Baz even if the dreaded Hun got the postcard snaps.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Tough breaks for your boys in that one, Baz, with both student Foyle and instructor Stark incurring injury.
    The cards were definitely not with you - luckily Stark had the Lucky Pilot skill or things would have gone even further south.
    They did manage to take down one hun, but the points went with the germans in this one.

Have some rep to tide you over.

Good fight there Baz. Unlucky with the shooting and the gun jams. So the Hun made away with the pics - well done them and tough luck on us this time. But you managed to take down the Albatros and nobody died so congratulations for that.
    Have some rep to soften the blow and then have a drink or three in the bar. Cheers

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps for all the nice comments & Rep!
    I did enjoy playing that one & you just cannot win them all.
    At least none of my lads were lost & Bran got another Hun!

Another calm and peaceful game, it's interesting how these things go, sometimes everyone gets hurt and sometimes they don't.

I'm really interested to find out what the design is on your table under the WoW mats, it looks like a ruined city, can you enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Another calm and peaceful game, it's interesting how these things go, sometimes everyone gets hurt and sometimes they don't.

I'm really interested to find out what the design is on your table under the WoW mats, it looks like a ruined city, can you enlighten me?
    G'day John. It is the Games Workshop "City Fight" mats I got way back. 2 paper mats that I had laminated & then glued to my games table.
    Had many a great City Fight game with C F terrain on that table.

Name:	Apoc 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	291274

Name:	Apoc 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	291275

Thanks Barry, the mat looks good, I've been thinking about making a city board for 1920's gangsters, but using styrene to provide raised pavements or I suppose they would be sidewalks, with a preset road system rather than a modular tile set up.
    Just need to buckle down and do it.

The idea of buying a printed mat is very appealing though.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27th July 1916 - Mike's AAR
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2020, 03:22
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 14:07
  3. AAR AAR DYM Mission 12-Ending with a Bang--27th March 1916--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2020, 09:59
  4. AAR OTT DYM Mission 8 - Operation Judgement - 27th Feb 1916---gully_raker
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2019, 09:21
  5. AAR OTT DYM-Mission 4-27th Jan. 1916- Some Mothers do 'ave 'em!--gully_raker
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 16:33