Ares Games

Thread: Why Britain Never Made Another Harrier Jump Jet.

Default Why Britain Never Made Another Harrier Jump Jet.

Here is a video I came across on Youtube explaining why a further version of the Harrier Jump Jet was not developed,

Thank you very much David for posting this video. I am honored that my electrical engineer wife worked on the JSF program. I could never ask her specifics about her work due to secret clearance security concerns, but I was able to enjoy watching all of the test videos as soon as they were officially released. Watching the F-35, as well as, the F-22 Raptor being put through their paces in person is truly amazing. If anyone ever has an opportunity to view these planes being demo'd, make the effort to see them.
    Last edited by abovetheclouds; 07-20-2020 at 09:59.

My first up close and personal view of a Harrier many decades ago.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc 3.jpg  

F-22 in action, and with some friends.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03638-2.jpg   DSC03663-2.jpg   DSC03710 (2).jpg  

A different approach to vertical lift aircraft, the Osprey.

My lasting memory of the Harrier was a Harrier display I saw at Dunsfold Airfield many years ago. The Harrier lifted off from a grass field only some 50 to 75 yards in front of us. I got to about 75 ft altitude and hovered for a minute or so and the slowly, so very,very slowly rotated its nose upward until it was vertical and then accelerated upward, still in the vertical attitude and just kept going. The noise was phenomenal. I don't think I have heard anything make more noise before or since.

Got this short video of an F-22 and two P-51s that I saw recently,
    https://youtu.be/i-PTDDKv1Fo

Oh, you're right Reg. I had forgotten how horribly noisy the Harrier was. No stealth mode in that one.

Thanks for sharing David - really enjoyed that

The only time I ever saw the Harrier remains a fond memory of standing on a dockside in Plymouth one fine Navy day, many moons ago, and experiencing that same noise and amazement as the Harrier appeared, rising from behind a Ship (can't remember what) from what must have been very close to the water level, then pretty much doing what Reg decribed - awesome.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 07-20-2020 at 10:52.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Thanks for sharing David - really enjoyed that

The only time I ever saw the Harrier remains a fond memory of standing on a dockside in Plymouth one fine Navy day, many moons ago, and experiencing that same noise and amazement as the Harrier appeared, rising from behind a Ship (can't remember what) from what must have been very close to the water level, then pretty much doing what Reg decribed - awesome.
    Ah Navy days , that was a great day out for all the family in the 80s Living in Keyham next to St Levens gate it was an easy walk to the docks and the Red Arrows over the Sound

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Indeed Paul - great days. Very briefly, before moving to Exeter, we lived in the North Keyham area in a small flat. Ye gods that seems like yesterday, but it was 1970/71

All very interesting to an old timer like myself chaps.
    Thanks for the video Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Harrier
    By Foz in forum PW2: House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2016, 09:48
  2. new member - major jump
    By major jump in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-16-2015, 23:54
  3. Do you fancy buying a Harrier?
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11