Ares Games

Thread: st. omer

Default st. omer

just a quickie people. Did the Germans have the equivalant of St. Omer or where German planes shipped straight where they were needed? Oh and another quickie - where they delivered by transport pilots or replacement pilots? Ta Iain

The Germans used the Armee Flugpark, a depot system.

Sometimes front line pilots travelled by car/lorry or train to the Flugpark, collected their new planes, and flew them back to their unit.
    Sometimes they flew older, worn-out planes from the Front to the Flugpark, and exchanged them for new machines.
    Sometimes replacement pilots flew in with their new machines.
    Sometimes the new planes were delivered by rail/road to the Front Line airfield, usually with complete fuselage & tail but separate wings, to be fully assembled on site.

I have not seen any reference to Transport pilots.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Tim

Assume there were many Flugparks?

Quite a lot, but as the designations changed over the course of the war,I couldn't personally say how many eventually. The flugpark system started as Etappen (staging), some of which were slated for the numbered Armies, others for the various nationalities within the Empire (for example, Bavaria). As the war went on, one or two of the Flugparks became specialized in aircrew training and replacement type: for example (and from memory, not for a source I can dig up at the moment,) Fluzeugpark 1 was redesignated an Observers' School.

This, like a lot of information about the Luftstreitkräfte, can be a big mess.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 07-21-2020 at 04:08.

will have a look in Flugparks. the background detail of the game just sucks you in.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    will have a look in Flugparks. the background detail of the game just sucks you in.
    History is like that
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

just seen some forum pages on the subject. That is a lot of information and a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. Need to think

think I've got some bits I need sorted. Located on a map Fliegerdepot Nord and Sud at Maubeuge and Saarbrucken. Got to be some mileage in a story involving travelling the 10 kilometres to one depot, only to find you're replacement aircraft is in the other depot 250+ kilometres away and a couple of snotty Quartermasters.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    and a couple of snotty Quartermasters.
    Boy, aren't they always?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus