Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triplanes vs. Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    You know we could use a Barbie Doll for Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.
    LOL! That would be a blast!

Teaticket, those are awesome. What size of godzilla did you use? Was a larger creature like chtulhu, or did you mount him on an aircraft or tripod base?

I don't have Godzilla's base but it was something like this. I think I used the balloon base for size.

All measuring is from the base edge. Tail in the rear arc, a claw to either side forward and his head can swivel quite a bit!

Name:  Godzilla base.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  19.9 KB

I'm absolutely enjoying everyone's comments and contributions to this thread. Wog is such a wonderfully designed game. It enables you to incorporate such whimsically fun ideas such as these into it. Thank you Peter for sharing your Godzilla gaming creations with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I need to get another one and cut him in half so he can be wading in the ocean. A little bit easier a target as his tail will be out of action. Once he's out of the ocean an running a-muck in Tokyo, look out!
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Peter, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

I forget what movement deck I used to move him but will post it as soon as I find it. Definitely a slow one.

I forget what movement deck I used to move him but will post it as soon as I find it. Definitely a slow one.
    And I'll be giving my printer something fun to do today with what you have posted so far. Looking forward to the movement info and the rules.

I finished the cards for the Cthulhu madness and pilot sanity decks, but I am unable to upload the sheets to the files area. I'll try again tomorrow. But I can show you the design I made for the backs of the cards.

Any progress with figuring out your card download issues?

Peter, thanks for sharing! Let us know when you get the chance! I was thinking one of the slow bomber decks or something.

abovetheclouds,

I took Matt's original files, used a business card template in microsoft word, and with that I have been able to make usable cards. No cool graphics though. I just bought some card sleeves with green backs and that worked pretty good. He did an amazing job with the Cthulhu and King Kong scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by abovetheclouds View Post
    Any progress with figuring out your card download issues?
    I finally got the files uploaded. Now they are in the moderation queue. I sent a PM to Keith, but have heard nothing back. When I do, I'll post a message.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Well, I tracked down a King Kondo figure. Looks pretty good.

Name:  DSC09601.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  80.1 KB

Kondo decided he wanted a Pfalz for lunch!

Name:  DSC09608.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  78.9 KB

I finally got the files uploaded. Now they are in the moderation queue. I sent a PM to Keith, but have heard nothing back. When I do, I'll post a message.
    Herr Oberst has approved my files. Five sheets can be found in the files section of the Aerodrome under WWI/Custom Rules.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Well, I tracked down a King Kondo figure. Looks pretty good.

Name:  DSC09601.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  80.1 KB

Kondo decided he wanted a Pfalz for lunch!

Name:  DSC09608.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  78.9 KB
    Great you got one.Was that the one on ebay for about 18 Dollar?

I am still searching for one in europe.

Which model I also like the "mantacon"miniature from monsterpocalyse.

Connected to this I could also imagine a "It came from the desert" scenario with giants ants.

And recently I saw Ghostbuster....so what about the marshmallow man.Perhaps this modell could fit quite well:

https://www.playmobil.de/stay-puft-m...tml#imageMain0

Herr Oberst has approved my files. Five sheets can be found in the files section of the Aerodrome under WWI/Custom Rules.
    The Cthulhu Cards look great! Thank you Robert for your effort to share these with the rest of us.

Andreas,
    I got him off ebay. Listing for two. Painted and Ultra version. The Ultra version is a transparent material. I am loving the Stay Puft idea!!!!

Hi Robert, the files are under 'WW1/House Rules' - great job on those cards BTW!

I just spent part of the last couple of days working on Godzilla and Cthulhu. Fortunately, my poor abused printer was able to print everything without choking. I cut up and sleeved all 162 Godzilla card fronts and 162 card backs, then cut out and glued to cardboard the Godzilla base template and rulers. My Godzilla figure is ready for action whenever Peter has the time to locate the rules and Godzilla damage information.

I then printed out the Cthulhu rules, and all of the card fronts and backs, then cut them up, and sleeved them. Cthulhu is ready to go, except I need to buy a Cthulhu figure. Or maybe I could use a Cthulhu stand-in figure. Ghidorah with his three heads and two tails might get the job done.

Next, I would love to hear some input on David (Naharaht)'s idea which he mentioned in a different thread about flying against an invasion or infestation of flying unicorns.

then cut out and glued to cardboard the Godzilla base template and rulers.

Next, I would love to hear some input on David (Naharaht)'s idea which he mentioned in a different thread about flying against an invasion or infestation of flying unicorns.
    You know images are limited to 800 pixels, so the Godzilla claw and breath templates may be larger than shown.

Are flying unicorns more maneuverable than Kettering Bugs?

My suggestion about using flying pink unicorns was a bit of a joke because that might be a way to make the game appeal to very young ladies.

I would imagine that unicorns' manoeuvrability would be very good but that they would not be as fast as most aircraft. However, if they had the magical ability to teleport, as they do in some accounts, then speed might not be an issue. Hoof kicks and its horn would damage a canvas covered aeroplane, particularly if delivered to the control surfaces. Finding riders/pilots might be difficult because according to legend, a unicorn rider has to have a certain quality, which tends to be sadly lacking in nearly all but the very young nowadays.

Great stuuf in here. I was lucky to play in Peter's Godzilla game. Had a really fun time doing that.

Robert does some great cards. I know because I have a few that he made of my planes.

Godzilla, King Kong, Dinosaurs, Dragons, and Martians. It is all fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    My suggestion about using flying pink unicorns was a bit of a joke because that might be a way to make the game appeal to very young ladies.

I would imagine that unicorns' manoeuvrability would be very good but that they would not be as fast as most aircraft. However, if they had the magical ability to teleport, as they do in some accounts, then speed might not be an issue. Hoof kicks and its horn would damage a canvas covered aeroplane, particularly if delivered to the control surfaces. Finding riders/pilots might be difficult because according to legend, a unicorn rider has to have a certain quality, which tends to be sadly lacking in nearly all but the very young nowadays.
    Ha! Yes, your comment about fighting flying unicorns made me laugh. I raised 2 daughters and my first 2 grand-kids were grand-daughters, and they all liked ponies and unicorns. I purchased so many "My little ponies" and "My little pet shop" animals that I kept receiving for a long period of time multiple emails from Amazon giving me little pony and unicorn purchase recommendations. It was funny and annoying at the same time. When you mentioned shooting down flying unicorns, I imagined exacting some personal lighthearted revenge on a schwarm of the little critters.

I imagined exacting some personal lighthearted revenge on a schwarm of the little critters.
    Use repurposed Martian black smoke launchers; just like spraying for wasps
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

LOL!! That's perfect, Karl.

Finally tracked down a Godzilla. Got one of the NECA from Target. Nice model. Question I have is this. Who sells a properly sized balloon base? I plan on using Teaticket's base template for attack arcs. I picked up a litko tear drop template for the Atomic breath, works real well. Just need a base. Any ideas?

Keith has some balloon bases in the Aerodrome Accessories Store under Custom Flight Stands for $11 and shipping.

With my very rudimentary skills, I printed out the template and rulers that Peter had posted. I then glued them to some cardboard, and cut them out.

162 card backs and 162 card fronts have all been printed out and sleeved. Just need a copy of the rules and Godzilla damage information.
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Finally tracked down a Godzilla. Got one of the NECA from Target. Nice model. Question I have is this. Who sells a properly sized balloon base? I plan on using Teaticket's base template for attack arcs. I picked up a litko tear drop template for the Atomic breath, works real well. Just need a base. Any ideas?
    You could use a piece of Basswood. I've made balloon bases with it but after painting the top side they warped a little. Masonite might be better to prevent any warping?

Great job on the base and templates Paul. I hope to get my rules up later this week.

Sorry Paul but I just edited Godzilla's base! Yours will still work but the new version will take out any guess work.

Godzilla Rules will be in the next post.

Godzilla!

What can one say about Godzilla? If he/she/its in a game, it will be more fun!
    I wrote these Godzilla rules for use with WW2 Japanese aircraft. Use a variety of different planes, not just the Ki-61-I-KAID HEIN! Godzilla has to stand a chance.

My scoring system for the players is to award 2 points for a close-range shot, 1 point for a long-range shot. Damage done is irrelevant to the points scored by the players. An extra 10 points is awarded to any pilot shooting in the phase Godzilla is killed.

The player with the most points is awarded the Japanese Air Force’s highest award and Emperor’s Blessing.

Godzilla’s base.
    Godzilla has 3 arc lines for his attack limits and direction lines for when he tosses an airplane. It is the same size as a Wings of Glory WWI balloon.

Name:  Godzilla base.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  27.5 KB

Godzilla movement.

Here the choice is yours. If you want Godzilla moving slower choose a slower deck. If you want him moving faster, choose a faster deck. This will depend on how large a surface you are playing on. A larger surface should have Godzilla moving faster than if he is on a smaller surface.

After choosing your movement deck, take out the 2 straights, 1 stall, 2 long turns in each direction and the 2 normal side slips in each direction. All other cards will not be used.
    Shuffle these up and when it is time for Godzilla to move take the top card. Roll a d6, 1-2 he moves the slow speed, 3-6 he moves the fast speed. When the deck is exhausted, reshuffle and start again.

To move Godzilla, place the movement card in front of Godzilla’s base, lined up on the center line as usual. Move the front of Godzilla’s base so the arrow overlaps the movement card’s arrow.

Collisions with Godzilla may happen when an airplane overlaps Godzilla’s base center, the point where his attack arcs meet. Aircraft take normal collision damage, Godzilla only takes half damage, rounded down. If Godzilla draws a ‘0’ damage chit he will ‘Grab and Toss’ the plane.

Godzilla should start centered on his side of the board facing where he wants to go, be it Tokyo, London….your home. I usually start him in the water heading towards his target.
    Have Godzilla at least a movement stick on the board as room is needed for the planes to fly behind him.

Attacks by Godzilla!

Godzilla has 3 ways to defend himself, his breath, claws and tail. He can use his breath every other firing phase. He also can use 1 claw and his tail every phase.

Breath!

When Godzilla breathes, his breath template is placed along any edge in the forward arc. It can be pointed in any direction within the forward arc. Any planes bases touched by the template will take damage. The arc has 3 ranges marked 3/1, 2/1 and 1/1. For any planes in the 3/1 range, Godzilla will draw 3 damage cards for each and choose the 1 he wishes to inflict. Same for the 2/1 range where Godzilla draws 2 damage cards and chooses 1 to inflict. 1/1 means 1 card drawn with no choice.

Godzilla must recharge for one phase after using his breath. Place a jam counter on the front of the base as a reminder.

Claws!

Godzilla can target 1 plane per phase with his claws. He chooses either his right or left and preforms a claw to attack on the closest plane on the side of the attack. 2 damage cards are drawn and he chooses which one to give out.
    When the result is 'Grab and Toss', roll 2 different colored d6 and 1 d12, one d6 for direction and the other d6 for distance. Direction is 1 – 6 using the Godzilla dashed lines on the base template.
    Godzilla will toss the plane 2 full airplane measurement rulers plus the result of the die roll in ˝ measures. Total toss distance will be from 2 ˝ rulers to 5 full rulers away.

The d12 is for the airplane’s final facing. Face the airplane to the clock facing according to Godzilla’s base.
    ie, 12 straight ahead, 6 straight behind.

Example, Direction roll = 3, distance = 1 facing roll = 9. The direction would be at Godzilla’s 3 on the chosen side, distance would be 3 ˝ rulers with the final facing away along Godzilla’s 9 O’clock line.

Name:  GrabandToss.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  46.4 KB

If plane is tossed off the board, toss it to the other side instead.

Tail!

Godzilla can swing his tail every firing phase. Every plane in his tail arc and within range will possibly take damage.
    Place the Tail ruler at the edge of Godzilla’s base within his tail arc. Planes closer to Godzilla take less damage and will draw 1 card and keep it. At longer whipping distance, Godzilla will draw 2 cards and give the one of his choice.

Damage to Godzilla

Godzilla’s strength will depend on a couple things. How long you want to play and how many planes are flying against him.
    For a 4 hour convention game I give Godzilla 70 points per plane flying against him. This is my only experience using Godzilla as I wrote these rules for 4 hour local convention slots. All I can say is to play around with this for your game needs. I don’t know how it will come out but I would assume halving the points for a 2 hour game should work.

Godzilla will take normal damage from airplane shooting.

The BOOM is worth 10 damage points against Godzilla.

Special damage can cause Godzilla’s attacks to weaken.

Track these special damages against Godzilla, pilot would, right rudder jam, left rudder jam and engine damage.

Pilot wounds go against Godzilla’s head. For 4 pilot wounds, lessen his short and medium range breath attacks by 1, ie, if close range new he will only draw 2 damage cards and choose the 1 to give, medium range just gets 1 card. A second set of 4 pilot wounds or more will make all breath attacks 1 card.

Rudder jams go against Godzilla’s arms. Left to left arm, right to right arm. For 4 hits to an arm lower it’s attack to 1 card.

Engine hits go to the tail. For 4 hits lessen his long range to 1 card, keeping short range at 1 card. For a second set of 4 hits or more, short range does no damage.

Track Godzilla’s damage on a piece of paper so you can put the damage chits back into the pool.

Godzilla escapes!

Godzilla's no fool. He will not fight on when he is badly hurt or near death. When Godzilla has taken enough damage on 3 critical areas to weaken them, or taken 94% damage, on the next movement phase he will dive under the waves or burrow under the ground to save himself.

Most important rule.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-09-2020 at 20:03.

I'm not sure where to upload the templates, base, and Godzilla's damage cards. Maybe to the WW2 files, house rules?
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-09-2020 at 20:11.

I'm not sure where to upload the templates, base, and Godzilla's damage cards. Maybe to the WW2 files, house rules?
    That would be the logical place. Too bad I have no WWII movement decks. I was hoping to use a WWI movement deck.

That would be the logical place. Too bad I have no WWII movement decks. I was hoping to use a WWI movement deck.
    MATES II Cards might help?

Link: WGS MATES Cards Album
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

You can use a WWI movement deck. A 'B' and deck would work along with a 'D'. Use the extracted cards from the 'B' deck and have 1 of each of those cards extracted from the 'D' deck set aside. When you roll the die for speed if it's fast use the 'B', if it's slow use the 'D'.

Hmmm, WWI deals out a lot less damage. Godzilla will have to be much weaker and his damage cards weakened too. I'll think about this....

Oh, thank you so much Peter!!! Can't wait to get everything organized, learned, and scenario staged. And no problem with the new template. Easy enough to print out the updated base for Godzilla, and glue it to the reverse side of my original one. And thank you Robert for the card backs.

Awesome Pete. I am planning to use WWI as well. Those are the only planes I have.

Hmmm, WWI deals out a lot less damage. Godzilla will have to be much weaker and his damage cards weakened too. I'll think about this....
    While you are thinking about that, perhaps you can explain on the Breath attack cards why do the fire/smoke damage cards have two numbers? Is this something unique to the WW2 rules?

While you are thinking about that, perhaps you can explain on the Breath attack cards why do the fire/smoke damage cards have two numbers? Is this something unique to the WW2 rules?
    Oh cr@$. Thanks for mentioning this. I forgot to put the explanation into the rules about this. The small # is for the number of fire/smoke markers the plane will get. I just wanted some variety on the length the fire/smoke lasted.

I'll edit the rules above and before submitting to the files. I also better add a full explanation of the special damage for planes getting spun and losing altitude.

Oh cr@$. Thanks for mentioning this. I forgot to put the explanation into the rules about this. The small # is for the number of fire/smoke markers the plane will get. I just wanted some variety on the length the fire/smoke lasted.

I'll edit the rules above and before submitting to the files. I also better add a full explanation of the special damage for planes getting spun and losing altitude.

thats an interesting variation pete. ought to try that in plain old wog as well.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    thats an interesting variation pete. ought to try that in plain old wog as well.
    Yeah, I will give Godzilla the WGF treatment when I get the chance.

Yeah, I will give Godzilla the WGF treatment when I get the chance.

i was thinking of just the variable length fire. could be an interesting variant.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i was thinking of just the variable length fire. could be an interesting variant.
    Not sure what you mean. What are you thinking?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

Everyone here: *makes templates, cards, rules*

Tripods only an inch away from these forums on a smart phone:

Not sure what you mean. What are you thinking?

just trying out using the variable length rule with normals wgf, and wgs fires to see how it might work.

I wonder if we can use Tripod rules with this guy. A 90mm tall Giant Robot from Crooked Dice. The lightening gun left hand could use heat ray damage deck or maybe the C damage deck when it hits an airplane. Movement, however, would be very slow.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 11.41.19 AM.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  90.5 KB

Certainly looks good.
    Karl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2020, 21:02
  2. The BBC goes 'Tripods and Triplanes' !!!!!
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 07:54
  3. Triplanes vs. Triplanes
    By rhodie80 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2018, 07:38
  4. Triplanes
    By David Manley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 16:47
  5. Triplanes & D7's