Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 5 Going Solo - 5 August 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT CYM Mission 5 Going Solo - 5 August 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo – 5 August 1916 – by ShadowDragon
    Original scenario by Mikemagus

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-Mikeemagnus

It is a turbulent time. It is the 1960s – civil rights demonstrations, anti-war demonstrations, counter-culture and, of course the Beatles, but in the Hunter Valley, somewhat north of Sydney – by Australian standards – it is harvest time and the smell of fermenting grapes permeates the air. The Wilde Dundee Winery was a modest enterprise, but one would never know it from the laughter and other sounds of delight emanating from a large house to one side of the vineyards. Inside a rather large, multi-generational group has just finished feasting.

“Tom, that was a fine stew. Almost rivals your mother-in-law’s. What’s it called again?” asked one of the two older men in the group.

“Carbonnade à la flamande”, replied Tom, one of the group’s middle generation.

“Aw, shucks, Bruce. It’s just Belgian beer stew”, interjected the other older man. “It still doesn’t seem proper to me – a man cooking.”

“Ah, Dad, you’re just old fashioned. Times are a-changing as they say…or sing. Besides I like a man that knows how to cook a decent Belgian beer stew.” The woman moved over and put one arm around Tom’s waist.

“Just because I’m old-fashioned doesn’t necessarily make me wrong, Sofia. But you’re right – without your mom, aunt Isabel, Marta and you, the winery would have been sold to the bank long ago. I guess I’m still just an old Alberta cowboy.”

“Never mind, Dad. Why don’t you tell the children one of your flying stories from the Great War? That will put them in the mood for bedtime.”

“You mean it will bore the livin’ daylights out of ‘em.” Jack pulled out his pipe and thought it about it for a moment. “Say, I never did tell you kids about the time your Grandad and Uncle Bruce became an Ace.”

“Not that old story,” winked Tom.

“Tom, just because you’re my brother – don’t you forget I had to change your nappies,” Bruce interrupted. “Maybe some other time you can tell us how you got to be an Ace – probably scared the daylights out the Desert Fox.”

Shortly five children, a couple more than usual as two of Bruce’s grandchildren were in the mix, were arranged on the veranda around Jack, Bruce, Tom and Sofia while the other adults settled in nearby to chit-chat and enjoy the evening – whether or not they were listening to Jack’s story one couldn’t say.

“We had been a month in Flanders. All of us had chequered backgrounds but flying patrols had brought us together so that none of that matter much – with the one exception, the Irishman, Fergis, but that’s another story. Bruce was the scoring leader with three while the Flight Leader and I were right behind him with two – each of us looking for a break that would put us ahead of Bruce, but it wasn’t to be. Bruce, you’ve got horseshoes up your arse.”

“Jacques….language!” called Angelique from across the veranda although it had seemed she wasn’t paying the slightest attention to the storytelling.

“Sorry, dear. All I mean is that you should have come away from that patrol empty handed so to speak or God forbid not at all.” Jack turned to the others, “we had been just retuning from a patrol when Bruce spotted some Huns through a break in the clouds. He thought there was just a couple, but the darn fool was mistaken. There were five Hun eindeckers crossing No Man’s Land – returning from whatever mischief they had been up to.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM0501.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	290391

“Well, Bruce, didn’t know this. He just spied the last couple of Huns and thought he’d pick off the last one and run up his score out of reach of Flashman and me. So he dropped off from our flight to have a go at them.”

Name:	CYM0502.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	290299

“Bruce could just headed them off, but instead he started climbing to gain the altitude advantage but keeping the cloud cover between him and the Huns.”

Name:	CYM0503.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	290298

“By the time Bruce felt he had enough altitude he decided to make his move. The trouble is the Huns hadn’t seen him and had a good head start towards getting back safely to their aerodrome. So he just about missed his chance with all that fooling around.”

“You’re just jealous, Jack, that I got to be an Ace before you.”

Jack ignored Bruce.

Name:	CYM0504.jpg 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	290297

“Just then Bruce got some luck. The Huns turned right. There must have been some directional marker that was a cue. Whatever the reason that put them closer to Bruce.”

Name:	CYM0505.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	290296

“Just then the last Hun spots Bruce and turns to investigate. I suppose he wasn’t sure if Bruce was one of theirs or one of ours.”

Name:	CYM0506.jpg 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	290295

“It didn’t take him long to figure out that Bruce meant them harm. So he waggled his wings to warn the others while he headed straight for Bruce – both of them brave – and foolhardy, I might add, flyers.”

“I got the better of that round. I must have hit the poor chap. I saw his arm fly up in the air. Got an oil line too as he started to smoke something fierce. If the others hadn’t noticed me before they sure did after that.”

Name:	CYM0507.jpg 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	290294

“And soon enough a second Hun – in a green Fokker as I remember – came across my gun sight. One burst and his Fokker was on fire. He got a some damage on me but nothing I couldn’t handle – so far.”

“As I said, Bruce….horseshoes you know where.” Jack glanced over at Angelique who only smiled back.

Name:	CYM0508.jpg 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	290293

“With the green Fokker trying desperately to control his fire, Bruce, focussed on the first Hun.”

Name:	CYM0509.jpg 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	290292

“Tailing him like a male dog with his nose glued to the butt of a female dog.” Jack glanced at Angelique again…nothing. “With everything going for Bruce, the Hun didn’t have a chance. His Fokker started spiralling to the ground. That brought Bruce up to a score of four…still not an Ace.”

Name:	CYM0510.jpg 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	290291

“Again – horseshoes. The pilot of the green Fokker couldn’t control his fire so he tried to land his airplane. Unfortunately the Fokker burst into a real fireball just as he got to the ground. Don’t think the poor man survived. Well that made it five fore Bruce but he still had to get home alive and there were now three Huns hopping mad and his Nieuport wasn’t in prime condition anymore.”

Name:	CYM0511.jpg 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	290290

“And, yes, again….horseshoes. Bruce took on one of the grey Fokkers. It did some damage to Bruce’s Neiuport but Bruce must have hit the Fokker’s engine and that pilot broke off from the fight.” [Note: I don’t know why the extra 1 damage but it was over a week since I played the game and I couldn’t remember why I drew the extra card. It might have been from a previous shot that I missed. Anyway it was on the picture for the Butcher’s bill so I kept it.]

Name:	CYM0512.jpg 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	290289

“Bruce, throwing caution to the wind, headed for a fourth Fokker.”

Name:	CYM0513.jpg 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	290288

“This time he ran out of horseshoes. His gun jammed.”

Name:	CYM0514.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	290287

“With his gun jammed and seeing as the remaining two Huns were heading for home rather than tangle with this mad Englander, Bruce headed back to the aerodrome and the glory of being our squadron’s first Ace.”

Name:	CYM0515.jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	290286

“And rightly so,” said Bruce.

“Yeah, well I’ll forgive you since your brother is the best son-in-law a man could want. Makes up for all your sins and I’m darn sure he’s the better flyer.”

[Game notes: The Fokker EII were flown with the same stats as the EIII. The bonus ace skill chosen for Bruce was ‘sniper’ – it seemed to fit the results of the previous missions.]
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 07-19-2020 at 04:34.

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs

Nieport 11
    FSL Bruce Dundee / RTB / - / 2 kills plus 1 FRTB-E

Name:	CYM05BBBruce.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	290306

The Adlers

Fokker E.II
    Obltn Fritz Böhning / RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM05BBFritz.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	290305

Fokker E.III
    Fwbl Theodor Schmidt / FLM-FT / - / 0 kills
    C&W = roll 2 - 2 FLM = 0 - KIA

Name:	CYM05BBTheodor.jpg 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	290302

Fokker E.III
    Fwbl Vicktor Quandt / SD-FT / - / 0 kills
    C&W = roll 9 -1SD -1WIA = 7, injured Skip 1D2 Scenario; roll 6 = skip 2

Name:	CYM05BBVicktor.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	290301

Fokker E.III
    Ltn Reinhold Piechulek / FRTB-E / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM05BBReinhold.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	290303

Fokker E.II
    Fwbl Otto Marwitz / RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM05BBOtto.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	290390

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 08-19-2020 at 10:14. Reason: Tally correction

Splendid result Paul ! Laughed aloud when you overshot the target, that could have been a short game.

Uncle says:

Well done young fellah, taking on five Hun's is not recommended but bagging two and sending one back to his nest is a top result.
    HQ has been on the blower and FsLt Bruce Dundee is awarded the Military Cross (MC) for his five victories
    and the War Cross with Bronze Palm (Croix de Guerre avec palme de bronze) (CdGp) from our grateful allies.

Becoming an ace his newly earned inherent sniper skill becomes a full ace skill !

Note: Ltn Hans Bohenkamp is out WIA from mission 3 still - Fwbl Otto Marwitz, being fit for duty has been substituted. You may like to correct the report.
    Last edited by flash; 07-19-2020 at 03:52.

"He is wise who watches"

Well done, Paul.
    Our Adler did not fare so well against Hugh Laurie .... er I mean Bruce Dundee.

[Note: I don’t know why the extra 1 damage but it was over a week since I played the game and I couldn’t remember why I drew the extra card. It might have been from a previous shot that I missed. Anyway it was on the picture for the Butcher’s bill so I kept it.]
    I suspect it was the extra 'sniper' card that should have been discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Well done, Paul.
    Our Adler did not fare so well against Hugh Laurie .... er I mean Bruce Dundee.

I suspect it was the extra 'sniper' card that should have been discarded.
    This was supposed to be the chronicle of Jack Wilder, WWI Ace, but ever since mission 1 Hugh Laurie...er, Bruce Dundee has been barging in and Jack’s been the raconteur and everyone ended up in Australia. Oh well, characters will have a life of their own.

I suspect it was the extra sniper card which got misplaced instead of discarded. It happens.

Loved it. The pictures, the paint jobs, and the bonzer outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Loved it. The pictures, the paint jobs, and the bonzer outcome.
    Have to thank Mike for the 'ace' mission.

Smile

Great action there Paul & a top story as we have come to expect.
    Congrats to Bruce on becoming an Ace.
    Mate dont want to come over as "too picky" but you made a couple of errors in your Butchers Bill.
    A Flamer is -2 not -1. That did not change the result as he was KIA anyway.
    Also you did not subtract the -1 Shot Down as well as the -1 WIA for the other CDL E.III.
    I am sure Uncle will correct them anyway.
    Loved the graphics for your shooting!
    Some Rep on its way.

Review complete Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ..I am sure Uncle will correct them anyway.
    He's done 'is best

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Splendid result Paul ! Laughed aloud when you overshot the target, that could have been a short game.

Uncle says:

Well done young fellah, taking on five Hun's is not recommended but bagging two and sending one back to his nest is a top result.
    HQ has been on the blower and FsLt Bruce Dundee is awarded the Military Cross (MC) for his five victories
    and the War Cross with Bronze Palm (Croix de Guerre avec palme de bronze) (CdGp) from our grateful allies.

Becoming an ace his newly earned inherent sniper skill becomes a full ace skill !

Note: Ltn Hans Bohenkamp is out WIA from mission 3 still - Fwbl Otto Marwitz, being fit for duty has been substituted. You may like to correct the report.
    Thanks, Uncle. Young Bruce is going to have to empty his wallet at the mess. Drinks all around I would think.

The overshooting perversely worked to Bruce's advantage as it meant the Adlers got strung out coming back. Horseshoes I say.

Thanks for correcting the B-Bill. Swapped the photos with Otto for Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great action there Paul & a top story as we have come to expect.
    Congrats to Bruce on becoming an Ace.
    Mate dont want to come over as "too picky" but you made a couple of errors in your Butchers Bill.
    A Flamer is -2 not -1. That did not change the result as he was KIA anyway.
    Also you did not subtract the -1 Shot Down as well as the -1 WIA for the other CDL E.III.
    I am sure Uncle will correct them anyway.
    Loved the graphics for your shooting!
    Some Rep on its way.
    Thanks for noting that and to uncle or the correction. Also correct the Otto-Hans confusion. Curiously enough I have it as Otto flying on my copy of the roster.

BTW went looking at Hunter Valley on google maps - that's quite some open pit coal mine they have further up the valley.

Well done Paul. That was a really entertaining take on the mission. Love the 1960s setting for Grandad's story - happy days huh? As for cooking with Belgian beer, that reminds me of a happy trip to a brewery in Brugges. Didn't walk straight when I left it. Strong beers that lot produce They boasted only their women folk drank 9 per cent beers and that the men drank 14 per cent. Talk about taking the mick Good stuff though. Congrats to Bruce on achieving ace status and congrats to Tom for the tale within earshot of wifey
    Rep inbound

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Well done Paul. That was a really entertaining take on the mission. Love the 1960s setting for Grandad's story - happy days huh? As for cooking with Belgian beer, that reminds me of a happy trip to a brewery in Brugges. Didn't walk straight when I left it. Strong beers that lot produce They boasted only their women folk drank 9 per cent beers and that the men drank 14 per cent. Talk about taking the mick Good stuff though. Congrats to Bruce on achieving ace status and congrats to Tom for the tale within earshot of wifey
    Rep inbound
    We've come to enjoy Belgian beer stew even more than Beef Burgundy. A funny story about Belgian beer is when I worked in The Hague. A group of young Dutch chaps were heading to Belgium to do some camping and, of course, they were taking beer with them. Talk about coals to Newcastle.

And, although no one asked....just because Tom was a pilot in WWII does not mean I will be buying WGS stuff. Enough is enough!

Wonderful laid back story telling, I started to read and all the initial talk about wineries made me go and get a glass so I could finish your story.

Congratulations to Bruce, taking on 5 planes is no light matter. Living to tell the tale is worth talking about. I need to re-read Mikes brief, I thought there was supposed to be some support from the other 2 pilots but Bruce obviously didn't their help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Wonderful laid back story telling, I started to read and all the initial talk about wineries made me go and get a glass so I could finish your story.

Congratulations to Bruce, taking on 5 planes is no light matter. Living to tell the tale is worth talking about. I need to re-read Mikes brief, I thought there was supposed to be some support from the other 2 pilots but Bruce obviously didn't their help.
    The mission is just the excuse for the story.

Reading the story does require wine or the beverage of choice.

The 2 other pilots come into play if the solo pilot is shot down or leaves the playing area under losing circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    The mission is just the excuse for the story.

Reading the story does require wine or the beverage of choice.

The 2 other pilots come into play if the solo pilot is shot down or leaves the playing area under losing circumstances.
    Ahh - you see I didn't read it fully, however I'm now on the 2nd glass of wine having read the other game 5 reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Ahh - you see I didn't read it fully, however I'm now on the 2nd glass of wine having read the other game 5 reports.
    Just as well, that fictional Aussie, Bruce, is a real show off. The whole idea for my CYM stories was to use what I know - northern Western Canada, but....no, on the first mission the Aussie drops into the game play at the last round and shoots down a plane with one shot. So now the storyline has ended up in Australia which I've visited just once for a few days for work. I spend all my time trying not to look too much like an idiot when posting about Down Under - not always successfully at that! Best with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th glass of wine. :hic:

Personally I don't think Bruce is a superman just a super tall tale teller.

I'm a little late to the party here but thanks for the fun read. I'll be looking for a lucky horse shoe myself, but I'll carefully check where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm a little late to the party here but thanks for the fun read. I'll be looking for a lucky horse shoe myself, but I'll carefully check where it came from.
    LoL. A case of benefiting from an early mistake. Almost had the whole flock of 5 enemy fly away without noticing the lone Nieuport.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  2. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5 August 1916 - {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2021, 17:24
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 14:07
  4. Replies: 20