Ares Games

Thread: Build a P-47... WITHOUT a factory floor or even power tools?

Default Build a P-47... WITHOUT a factory floor or even power tools?

Believe it--the Jug was so hotly demanded that Republic shipped them as knockdown kits for final-assembly in the field, with a surprising set of jigs: the crates the plane shipped in!

Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Now there is some innovative packaging. Great video.

Thumbs up

Very interesting photos DB!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Now there is some innovative packaging. Great video.
    They just don't think outside--or is this INSIDE?--the box the way they used to... similar to how Browning designed the 1911 .45 to be taken apart and reassembled using only its own parts and the rim of a cartridge as a screwdriver.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    They just don't think outside--or is this INSIDE?--the box the way they used to... similar to how Browning designed the 1911 .45 to be taken apart and reassembled using only its own parts and the rim of a cartridge as a screwdriver.
    Well hey, if we could do it all ourselves a lot of businesses would be out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Well hey, if we could do it all ourselves a lot of businesses would be out of business.
    Considering that the battlefield doesn't have all the luxuries of time and disposability we enjoy in civilian life, back then even more so...

Someone must have put a great deal of thought into how to do it. I wonder whether they did the same with the Mustangs. Thank you for sharing the video Diamondback.

Enjoyed that - thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Enjoyed that - thanks for sharing.
    Ditto!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

From what I've read, the US sent a lot of planes out in crates for assembly.
    One surprise for a USAAC fighter group in AU early/mid '42, crates marked as P-40s contained P-39s.....with no assembly instructions!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That was really interesting - thanks for sharing.

I hope you do realize that Clipper is now trying to get hold of one of those kits. With the elves helping it should not take long to make.

Similar Missions

1. WSF WWII Build up at the Clipper Elf Factory
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 17:35
  2. AAR: Battle of Family Room Floor (*New 2 seaters first flight*)
    By TGalante in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 12:33
  3. TOOLS
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 14:09
  4. I want to take the floor...
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:00
  5. Pasadena Flight takes to the Air (floor)
    By Anav in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:07