Ares Games

Thread: pleasant evening with transfers

Default pleasant evening with transfers

got my order from Keith. Put identification letters on my two SE.5 Bishops and also putting RFC roundals on my three Spad XIIIs (probably a hienous crime to some but I researched that the RFC did have them) Now have three XIIIs that can maskarade as VIIs when required. Did the RFC ever use Nieuport 17s? If not may have to enrol some French pilots . Slowly but surely getting the planes together to have an early 1916 start to campaigning. Fly safe all and hopefully see you soon

According to Franks et al - Bloody April 1917 - there were four sqaudrons equipped mostly or partly with N17s. 1, 29, 60 and 6 Naval Squadron. So no need to enrol French pilots.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    got my order from Keith. Put identification letters on my two SE.5 Bishops and also putting RFC roundals on my three Spad XIIIs (probably a hienous crime to some but I researched that the RFC did have them) Now have three XIIIs that can maskarade as VIIs when required. Did the RFC ever use Nieuport 17s? If not may have to enrol some French pilots . Slowly but surely getting the planes together to have an early 1916 start to campaigning. Fly safe all and hopefully see you soon
    G'day Iain!
    To answer both questions: Yes!
    Capt Willie Fry flew a Spad XIII in 23 Squadron in January 1918. The Squadron ID was a white triangle aft of the fuselage cockade with his ID being the Letter L also in white behind the triangle & it was repeated on the top of the fuselage roughly above the cockades. The aircraft was in the standard French camo scheme with a silver band on the nose. Corgi made a 1/48th scale model of this aircraft which I have.

As far as N 17's one of the most celebrated Squadrons of the RFC, 60 Sqd flew the N 17 from around October 1916 to July 1917 when they converted to the SE 5.
    Early N 17's were green & brown camo but from early 1917 were silver doped usually with the Flight Letter in front of the cockade & an ID number behind. Early silver aircraft also had the letter & number on the top of the fuselage deck. Some C flight aircraft like Grid Caldwell's & Billy Bishop also had a blue nose. If you can grab a copy of Ospreys Aviation Elite Units No. 60 Sqd RFC/RAF it has many colour profiles for N.17 pilots & planes.

Attached is my Shapeways model of Grid Caldwell's N 17 as an example.

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Nieuport N17 Grid Calwell.jpg Views: 78 Size: 91.3 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

F-toys produced a R.F.C. SPAD VII 1/144 scale model from No.23 Squadron.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-23-1822768713
    Last edited by Naharaht; 07-15-2020 at 21:09.

'Reviresco' do a decal set for a 23 Squadron RFC SPAD - available through Tin Soldier
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Placed an order this week so hope to see my things soon. One will go great with the Shapeways models I should get today.

thanks for the advice people. Think I'm going to take the easier (i.e. within my capabilities) option. I've got one and I will get two more N.17 Nungessers (love the colour) and add RFC roundals and identification letters. Then watch out mid 1916 campaigns, I'm coming.

Similar Missions

1. Some Video Of Aviation's Less-Pleasant Realities
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 11:32
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 06:39
  3. "How To" Dry Rub Transfers into Waterslide Decals
    By costampede in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 09:32
  4. Use of Waterslide transfers.