Michael John Claringbould
    ISBN:
    978-0646803142
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    This volume conveys detailed stories of aerial warfare in the South Pacific, chosen because both Japanese and Allied records can be matched for an accurate accounting. Often the actual outcomes are very different to the exaggerated claims made by both sides upon which many traditional histories have relied to date. Further, for each of the chosen stories photographic or other evidence enables an accurate depiction of the aircraft involved.

Through these chosen snapshots Pacific Adversaries portrays the South Pacific conflict as accurately as possible. This first volume describes confrontations between the Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF) and the Allies in New Guinea and the Solomons.

JAAF units first arrived in the South Pacific in December 1942 and effectively ceased operations in mainland New Guinea in April 1944. Theirs is a rich and colorful history about which many myths persist. Perhaps the biggest is that their Allied counterparts thought they were mainly fighting “Zeros”, a falsehood still published and accepted to this day.

In New Guinea the Allies ratcheted up a grueling, coordinated and unrelenting campaign, destroying most JAAF air power on the ground, not in the air. Their assault against Wewak’s key bases involved an interwoven and complex strategy which eventually overpowered the Japanese.

Never before have detailed accounts matched up adversaries so closely and in doing so shine light on key events in Pacific skies so many years ago.

Once I started reading this book I had a difficult time putting it down. 16 short stories about confirmed air encounters between Japanese and Allied airmen over New Guinea and the Solomons, 1942-1944. Each story comes with photos and color plates.

Wild claims by both sides are discounted but the true bravery and dedication of these airmen come through with their victories and sacrifices.

I highly recommend this collection of battles, not just for those interested in the Pacific but all interested in stories about actual encounters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA1.jpg  

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review.
    That looks like an excellent buy!
    What was the price?

Claringbould has the reputation of an Expert Among Experts in the South Pacific. If his work were more available, and at a price I could afford, I'd be picking up most of it to plan scenarios and flesh out proposals for Guadalcanal, Carrier War, Central Pacific, New Guinea and Philippines lines and campaigns around.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Claringbould has the reputation of an Expert Among Experts in the South Pacific. If his work were more available, and at a price I could afford, I'd be picking up most of it to plan scenarios and flesh out proposals for Guadalcanal, Carrier War, Central Pacific, New Guinea and Philippines lines and campaigns around.
    I have his South Pacific Air War vol 1. Excellent, but until I find a closeout Vol 2 and 3 will have to wait.

That sounds like a very interesting book, particularly as Ares seem to be working towards a Pacific Fighters release.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That sounds like a very interesting book, particularly as Ares seem to be working towards a Pacific Fighters release.
    Problem is, we're pretty tightly pegged on Cactus Air Force. I'm advance-planning some 5th Air Force/SWPA stuff as a private project with help from Jager, but there's no guarantee it'll ever be cleared for takeoff with the Pacific being mainly thought of as "a Navy show."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks for the posting, Peter!

I'll put this one on my "maybe" list - too many others unread at the moment.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. WGSC: D - Day
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2019, 11:44
  2. Ace Patrol goes Pacific - Pacific Skies
    By Boney10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 01:26
  3. WGSC: Forgotten War, The
    By grumpybear in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0