Ares Games

Thread: SPAD S.VII: Guynemer Ares WoG Which color?

Default SPAD S.VII: Guynemer Ares WoG Which color?

Cheers!
    Does anyone know what color is the best match for Guynemer's SPAD S.VII? I'm talking about the color in Ares' actual mini
    I'm 99% on that nose is Vallejo 71.132 Aged White
    But what about fuselage and wings?
    thanks!

Yes, great question! I have been trying to figure that out myself. I want to do some shapeways, but I want the color to match my lone Spad VII. The fuselage and wings are a weird orange/yellow Frankenstein color.

I can't tell you about matching the miniature (I don't have one to point the color-meter at). But just for reference here is an article on French Light Yellow: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-Light-Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I can't tell you about matching the miniature (I don't have one to point the color-meter at). But just for reference here is an article on French Light Yellow: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-Light-Yellow.
    I've had this reference in my files for awhile. It seems like a lot of mixing and expense, though. Somebody went to a lot of trouble. It is for late war period.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French 5 camo.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	290118

Somebody must of really been bored. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Somebody must of really been bored. Amazing!
    Not at all; serious modelers live for, and to produce, this kind of data. I've run across lots of sites with tables for paint matching, conversions between paint lines etc.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl, seriously...you underscore Dan's comment re "somebody must of been really bored"....just kidding! Hope all is well up north...and hope we can get some Buckeye Gamers back in session if this shutdown ever ends. Here in Butler county we are on "masks in public - indoor or outside". Bummer.
    Just for chuckles, how about posting a few of those color links for those of us who may be in need of easing the boredom?

Karl, I am just being silly!!!! My apologies if it offended anyone. I have been a modeler and Railroad enthusiast for a long time. I understand the necessity to mix paints and the desire to have a good color. Personally, I find mixing paints to get the right shade quite tedious. I think it is my lack of patience. If somebody is willing to share their mixing results and their hard work I greatly appreciate it. Especially for these weird shades of color that Ares uses for their planes. Jeff's color template is a wonderful piece of work. I have some Salmson 2A2 from shapeways I am thinking on trying it on. Jeff, thanks for sharing!!!

Tom, miss seeing everyone at the table. Hope to see you at the pre-flight briefing again.

Dan; I wasn't offended at all. I personally hate to mix paints, if only because you either waste a lot not used, or you can't quite get the same shade again.
    So, personally, I'll get colors that are a bit off, to avoid mixing.

Tom; I'm hoping you and your wife are doing well; we're code 3 here in Summit Co. also. Masking everyday for work, yah!
    But here's some links:
    https://www.cybermodeler.com/resource6.shtml
    https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/ur...charts-part-i/
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/P...tibility_Chart
    https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-cont...Rev17-baja.pdf
    https://spikeybits.com/2016/09/valle...chart-pdf.html
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Good evening
    Painting is a good idea to pass the time in this difficult period, I don't know if that can help you ? but I took this photo for my work of the last authentic Spad VII in flight condition belonging to Louis Bleriot ( the grandson), its owner has the same first name and name as his grandfather, the aircraft manufacturer, it was acquired by the firm Bleriot after it was bought the company Spad and it appears in these original colors , according to what its owner told me :

Name:	spad.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	290200

Name:	spad2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	290201
    (c) Personal Photos

I have such a hard time trying to match colours that I tend to overpaint the existing Nexus/Ares shade with one which I can recognise/remember!

Where possible I use the 'Misterkit' range of named WW1 colours, so for the French I use "French Aluminium", "French CDL", "French Dark Green" etc.
    For my recent Belgian Camels I used 'Vallejo' "German Camo Dark Green" for the upper surfaces - it was a close, but not exact, match for the 'Nexus' colour on the "Olieslager" mini.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Tim,

I will have to get a bottle of German Camo Dark Green. I had a difficult time finding a match on the Camel I just did. It is in the July workbench. I painted out the details with Vallejo 70.888 Olive Grey. Then, I went over the whole top surface with light coat of Vallejo 71.016 USAF Olive Drab. It turned out looking nice.

I am working on the some of latest Berthold Pfalz. Anybody have any idea what blue would match that.

Still up in the air on the Spad VII. Teaticket recommended a craft color called Candy Corn. I will have to try and find some.

Tim,

I will have to get a bottle of German Camo Dark Green. I had a difficult time finding a match on the Camel I just did. It is in the July workbench. I painted out the details with Vallejo 70.888 Olive Grey. Then, I went over the whole top surface with light coat of Vallejo 71.016 USAF Olive Drab. It turned out looking nice.

I am working on the some of latest Berthold Pfalz. Anybody have any idea what blue would match that.

Still up in the air on the Spad VII. Teaticket recommended a craft color called Candy Corn. I will have to try and find some.
    The color I have used on my French SPAD VIIs is a bit more yellow than CDL. Not quite the same bright yellow as the ARES Guynemer but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The color I have used on my French SPAD VIIs is a bit more yellow than CDL. Not quite the same bright yellow as the ARES Guynemer but I like it.
    The 'Misterkit' "French CDL" IS more Yellow than either the "German CDL" or the "RFC/RAF CDL"; the German is a bit more Beige, the British a bit more Buff.

The only 'Misterkit' colours I don't like or that I "disagree" with are the German "Albatros Red Brown" and the French "Chocolate Brown", neither of which seem dark enough to my eyes...............

I haven't got around to painting any SPADs yet, but they are getting closer; my current Nieuport diversion has led to the discovery of some nice SPAD schemes..........

Flying Helmut, you could paint them with completely random colors and with your skill they would be gorgeous!

I have never seen the MisterKit colors? Who carries them, I am interested.

Flying Helmut, you could paint them with completely random colors and with your skill they would be gorgeous!

I have never seen the MisterKit colors? Who carries them, I am interested.
    Steady on, fella!

I buy the 'Misterkit' paint direct from the manufacturer, in Italy.
    I first found them in the Hobby section of a sheet metal and steel tube company called "Albion Alloys" in Poole, Dorset, very near to where I grew up. They stopped the entire Hobby section a couple of years ago, so I was forced to search abroad.

Italy. OK. Is there a company called Bulldog Paints or something like that. I was told that they specialize in WWI colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The 'Misterkit' "French CDL" IS more Yellow than either the "German CDL" or the "RFC/RAF CDL"; the German is a bit more Beige, the British a bit more Buff.

The only 'Misterkit' colours I don't like or that I "disagree" with are the German "Albatros Red Brown" and the French "Chocolate Brown", neither of which seem dark enough to my eyes...............

I haven't got around to painting any SPADs yet, but they are getting closer; my current Nieuport diversion has led to the discovery of some nice SPAD schemes..........
    Are any of you familiar with painting for scale?

This Article explains something I've read elsewhere: Leavenworth Modelers Club.org - The Scale Effect of Color and Other Considerations

So, besides colors not being right for the plane according to whatever historical records you might find, there are issues with the plane being a really, reallly small object, and adjusting your paint job so it looks right for the 144th scale on the table.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Are any of you familiar with painting for scale?

This Article explains something I've read elsewhere: Leavenworth Modelers Club.org - The Scale Effect of Color and Other Considerations

So, besides colors not being right for the plane according to whatever historical records you might find, there are issues with the plane being a really, reallly small object, and adjusting your paint job so it looks right for the 144th scale on the table.
    Yes, I'm aware of the theory, and I used to subscribe to it.............

Trouble is, you not only have to find the "correct" colour, but you then have to guess how much lighter you want the mini colour to be, and then source that shade! For EVERY colour on the model!
    Alternatively, mix the shades you want - but my intent is to avoid the mixing process altogether.

If a pallet of "correct" colours is consistently used, then at least the colours should be well matched to each other on the finished mini.
    And, since nobody actually knows the exact shades required, and the real planes were constantly subjected to Weather, any reasonable-looking result which makes me happy is OK!
    It takes me far too long to finish my planes as it is...................

Similar Missions

1. what colors mix to get a SPAD XIII's canvas sail color
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 15:38
  2. Italian Spad XIII color schemes
    By Nightbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 00:37
  3. Eddie Rickenbacker SPAD XIII color scheme
    By Flyer53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11