Ares Games

Thread: Go, go Gotha

Default Go, go Gotha

Last Tuesday night we were down a player as Windy Jack was on leave, so Baxter, Mark and I agreed on a Gotha raid over London to be opposed by 2 SE5s.

To even up damage points we knocked the SE5s back to 'B' guns which was not a wise move for the defenders, but more of that later.

The Gotha driver (Mark) had to nominate 3 targets, marked on the map with my clear acetate target markers and he then had to secretly choose 1 of the 3 as the primary target. The mission would be completed by bombing at least the primary target and flying safely home.

The opening moves saw one SE5 heading for the Gotha with the other trying a flanking move:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_SE5 outflanking Gotha.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	290085

But this allowed the Gotha an easy run at the first target:

Name:	02_First blood.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	290086

But it was not a free kick as the other SE5 had time to engage:

Name:	03_Not unscathed.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	290087

And another hit on the SE5 from the rear gunner as it fired on the Gotha!

Name:	05_hit from the rear gunner.jpg 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	290088

Meanwhile, the other SE5 is frantically trying to compensate for poor choices of moves and provide some support for his fellow flyer who is taking quite a pummeling from the Gotha:

Name:	06_Boring in for attack.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	290089

But the Gotha exacts some serious damage even while, finally, taking some hits from the SE5:

Name:	09_Gotha draws blood.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	290090

Oh no!!

Name:	11_Oh no.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	290091

And it's... SE5 down:

Name:	12_SE5 down.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	290092

So, the Gotha swings around, takes out target 2, the Power station, but doesn't get off scott free (and neither does the SE5):

Name:	13_Target 2 but.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	290093

Punished again...

Name:	14_Punished again.jpg 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	290094

With the inevitable result:

Name:	14_The inevitable result.jpg 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	290095

So the Gotha reigns supreme after destroying 2 out of the 3 targets and shooting down both SE5s - now about that B gun decision...

Name:	16_The butchers bill.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	290096

News flash - Mark's call sign has now been changed to 'Master Bomber'!!
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 07-09-2020 at 19:41.

Hey, all the flames are there just to give the AA gunners an aim point, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Hey, all the flames are there just to give the AA gunners an aim point, right?
    We refer to them as Christmas decorations

Thumbs up

You certainly needed A guns on those SE's.
    Would be interesting to fly that one again with the correct guns for the Scouts.

Fantastic. Always great to see a Gotha on the London mats. A brave defiance by the SE5s but tonight the Gotha rules the sky. Well done.

It was a hard fought battle. Perhaps both Se5's attacking the same side might have been better but that Gotha sure was a good bomber and shooter. Well done Wayne.

Great AAR.

I wish Ares would give us 'proper' London maps like they did with the others - they would be great for Battle of Britain as well.
    The glossy paper would play havoc with my photos, so I have never even tried them.

Well done, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great AAR.

I wish Ares would give us 'proper' London maps like they did with the others - they would be great for Battle of Britain as well.
    The glossy paper would play havoc with my photos, so I have never even tried them.

Well done, Mark.
    Actually the glossy mats didn’t look to bad in my photos - I was surprised!

Possibly upgrade the scouts to sidewinders

Great AAR!

Thanks for the AAR, Wayne.
    As Barry said it would be interesting to play the scenario again with A guns for the SE5s to see how much that changes it. Of course, the draw of the damage cards in a new game could change everything without changing the guns. Boom, boom.

Great stuff chaps ! You can ring the changes with this scenario if you want a replay.
    Things like when using A guns on the SE you can switch to B with a gun jam; you can apply half damage on a boom card on the Gotha; you can use the alternate fire damage on the Gotha too. A & B damage per turn. All worth a try out.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Possibly upgrade the scouts to sidewinders

Great AAR!
    Sidewinders? Like the modern Sidewinders?

There was a book written years ago (I don't recall the name) where a modern jet attack aircraft and pilot was transported back in time to WWI. Trying to help he took to the air, and failing to lock on to anything (not enough heat for IR Tracking or enough metal for AIM) his missiles flew on hitting nothing. Of course every one on the ground not knowing what a 'lock-on was' said 'well of course you were too far away to hit anything'.

Finally his only solution was to fly close and let his tail wash/turbulence do the work. All the futuristic super-sonic technology could hope for in WWI was running at them and hoping not to run into them.

P.S. a better use of future tech used historically was 'Guns of the South' by Harry Turteldove.

That was a fun read. Thanks Biggles.

I don't have a Gotha and was wondering how they might play. They look tough!

The bomber has well done. Nice game.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    That was a fun read. Thanks Biggles.

I don't have a Gotha and was wondering how they might play. They look tough!
    Jeff, we have had Gothas on the table a fair few times and they are always tough opponents! The only really safe way to attack is from the side, in line with the wings. That way you are out of the arcs of both front and rear guns but it is awfully difficult to time your moves correctly!

Thanks for the AAR Wayne, that was an exciting match. I think it’s time to get my hands on a Gotha.

Nice AAR - the Bomber did a great Job!
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Similar Missions

1. Which Gotha G.V
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 04:42
  2. Official Gotha GL.VII Painting Thread
    By Zoe Brain in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 08:33
  3. Gotha G. V (Von Korff) & Gotha G. V (Aschoff) Available at Coolstuff!
    By FarEast in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 16:23
  4. Gotha G.I
    By Guntruck in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 13:30