Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash

Default OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash

"Looks like you had a rum time of it." Commented Uncle as 2nd Lieutenant Evan Keel jumped down from the cockpit nacelle of his rather battered DH.2
    "I should say so, sir " chirped Keel glancing over the damaged machine.
    "We were getting worried as you're the last one to get back. What on earth happened ?" continued Uncle.
    "I'm not really sure sir"
    "Well we know you got separated from the other chaps in the kerfuffle, what happened to you after that ?"
    "Well sir, by the time I got myself the right way up after that second attack there wasn't a soul to be seen so I took a while to orient myself and when it was clear there was no-one else coming along I pushed off for home. I was just coming up on the lines when I spotted a gaggle of Huns heading more or less in the opposite direction.."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2006.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	289755

"They were quite strung out and didn't appear to have spotted me so I thought I'd have a crack at then as I passed. I slipped along then turned in and slipped left catching the last one at close range.."

Name:	SAM_2008.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	289756

"Well done" said Uncle "So how did you come by all these holes" indicating the sad looking DH.2
    "Well sir, they took umbridge at me shooting them up I suppose and they all turned on me."
    "Ye-es, they can be like that sometimes" said Uncle " So what happened then ?"
    "Well, I slipped left hoping to turn in behind the one I'd shot up - I hit him Jolly hard you know - but he surprised me by turning away from me, his chum's , however, I saw were turning toward me.."

Name:	SAM_2009.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	289757

"Anyway, I still caught him with another dose of close range lead as I turned but could see I might get involved with the others too.."

Name:	SAM_2010.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	289758

"I was most surprised when the blighter whipped round and gave me what for as I took on his chum in the stripey Fokker... He did a bit of damage but the shooting stopped abruptly thankfully so I reckon his gun jammed - I think I damaged his wingman's tail when I emptied the rest of my pan into him "

Name:	SAM_2011.JPG 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	289759

"Sounds hairy" said Uncle as he pictured the action in his mind's eye.
    "Not the half of it sir," blurted Keel, "as I was trying to change the pan and put some distance between us I ran lap bang into the rest of the flight ! I dodged the green Fokker but the red one and a blue biplane following it let fly at me. They must have been surprised as I was as there was no real damage and I think the red one jammed his gun"

Name:	SAM_2012.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	289760

"The blue biplane must be one of the new Halberstadts that have been cropping up recently" said Uncle thoughtfully. "So how did you get out of it ?"
    "I didn't think I would to be honest - as I went past them the stripey Fokker had reversed and took a long range pot shot at me"

Name:	SAM_2013.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	289761

"Sadly that was just a sighter as his next one got me this." Showing Uncle the tear in his jacket and his wound. "Good Lord man, you should have said something" cried Uncle, turning to the nearest man he shouted "Get me the Medico, this man's been wounded."
    "It's really just a scratch sir, I can't feel anything." said Keel.
    "No sense, no feeling lad." smiled Uncle "Tell me the rest while we wait."

Name:	SAM_2016.JPG 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	289762

"There's not too much to tell, sir, I knew I had to get out of there but that was back through the pack so I just threw my crate round, taking a hit from the red Fokker as I did so..."

Name:	SAM_2017.JPG 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	289763

"I'd seen how they were lining up as I'd turned so just went hell for leather for a gap between them and for our side of the lines. I got a close squirt at the blue one as he did to me and I took some more knocks from the stripey Fokker as he cut in but the red Fokker couldn't get a bead on me. Just as well as the the old bus was just about done in and was blowing smoke"

Name:	SAM_2019.JPG 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	289764

"As I wiggled through I used the last of my second pan on the first Fokker I'd shot up but I think I missed him altogether this time.."

Name:	SAM_2020.JPG 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	289765

"But I must have distracted him or something for as I looked back over my shoulder I saw he ran slap bang into the stripey one and both Fokkers went down" Finished keel with a grim smile.

Name:	SAM_2021.JPG 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	289766

"I managed to slip past the green one at the back of the pack and then it was full speed for the barn before they could get round after me"

Name:	SAM_2024.JPG 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	289767

"By Jove, that's well done." said Uncle. " I'm not sure I can credit you with the victories as Jerry seems to have played on to his own wicket but taking on five Huns on your own is worth a mention to the powers that be that's for sure. Right, here comes the M.O. and his party, time for you to be off and me to write this up."
    "I understand sir, thankyou" replied Keel.

Butcher's Tally:

Name:	SAM_2027.JPG 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	289769
    Ltn Otto Hengl: (Halb D.II) - RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Hans Eberhardt Gossner: (E.III Red) RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Stefan Loerzer: (E.III Stripey) COL-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 9 -2COL = 7 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario Rolled 4 = Skip 2 (WW)
    Ltn Hugo Stark: (E.III green) - RTB 0 kills
    Ltn max Manschott: (E.III Plain) - COL-FT 0 kills
    Rolled 10 -2 COL = 8 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 1 = Skip 1 (W)

Name:	SAM_2025.JPG 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	289768
    2Lt Evan Keel: FRTB-D / WIA / 0 kills
    Rolled 9 +1RTB -1WIA = 9 All well when you land well.

Well what fun that was ! No special damage to send anyone home under the altered rules was a surprise too !
    Called it a day as I was short on time and the objective was achieved if only by an own goal.
    Keel won't get the kills or the ace skill as he didn't reach any of the goals through his shooting but I was happy with the result and a fine afternoon's action. Thanks Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

Nicely done, Dave.
    2Lt Keel was certainly lucky to survive 12 cards of damage.

I was wondering when someone would get this month's mission posted.
    Hope to tackle it next weekend.
    I have been wanting to get one of my Halbs repainted in a similar colour to yours for over a year now; leaning toward one of my camo ones, but I do have 3 of the brown ones.

Thumbs up

Well done Lt. Keel (& Dave!)
    He certainly performed well under great pressure against numbers.
    He is not Irish by any chance? You know the "Luck of the---"
    Enjoyed your story & the action Dave so have some Rep to celebrate.

Seems a shame that Keel didn’t get the one kill having done 7 points before the collision, but maybe next time. Still good to get back in one piece or one piece minus a scratch.

Thanks chaps.
    Yep, shame about the ace skill but no reward for half a job. If he'd managed a FRTB or kill I'd have considered it but he didn't drop meaningful special damage on anybody, though the rudder damage & jams helped him to survive, as did the collision, without which I think he might have been a dead duck once Loerzer cleared his jam.

"He is wise who watches"

Great stuff Dave. Opening rounds pretty much like those in my own mission. You even had a collision, although mine involved Dubh Beard (who applied the Lucky Pilot card ) I must say I thought young Evan Keel deserved a kill there because he fought hard enough for it and took enough hits for it too.
    I've played this mission quite a few times and I must say it can be difficult to survive without a bit of luck with the cards, so Keel did really well.
    Rep inbound, I hope - aah nope. I'll have to return later for that.
    Cheers

Thanks Mike, great little scenario up against the odds.

"He is wise who watches"

Brilliant action there Dave and a good read as well. Having just read 3 actions that involved supermen it's good to read a tale of survival against the odds which this game surely should be.

When I read the brief - well I won't tell you what I thought, but your outcome was the best I would have hoped for.

Great stuff

Thanks John, must say I didn't hold out much hope at the start !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks John, must say I didn't hold out much hope at the start !
    Me neither

Pity Keel didn't down any of the Hun as he was flying through the thick of it. Lucky enough he got home with a great tale and just a scratch.

Thankyou Peter, no kills or skill gained but getting home felt like a win.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT CYM - Mission 5 - "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 15:38
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-21-2020, 09:06
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 06:48
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 20 - Flash's Albert to Bapaume - 23rd August 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches