Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: July 2020 Workbench

Thank you, Willi, and awesome job on the Val. Always good to see the tutorial tidbits! BTW, your 6.5/10 is my 10.5/10

Well, last piece of the "Do Not Enter sign" arrived and installed.

No more pics on this one until the "Hers" half is done, which is just awaiting an appointment at the shop, or the fighting kit to go with it is complete. (Which is the real challenge, the Marines give me every detail I need to build an M4 to their spec piece by piece... the plate carrier and battle-belt, not so much.)

Some Paul Harvey here... this build is in memory of a friend who never fully came home from the Rockpile. He had brought home as many parts off the M16A4 and M4 he fought over there as they'd let him with intent to rebuild them on civilian-legal frames, then found himself in a nasty divorce and needing cash so I "bought" his parts with him having Right of First Offer to buy them back or any rifle built from them. (Really had intended as a loan with us flipping parts/cash back as soon as his sitch improved, which was sadly not to be.) Anyway, before construction could commence he became one of the two dozen Iraq/Afghan vets to take their lives every day, so I decided to see it through and complete the build in his memory--if "Monster's" sons hadn't wanted his dog tags, I would have wanted to permanently mount them on this rifle.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-27-2020 at 12:34.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

William, nice work.

Diamondback, nice piece of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great job (as always), William.
    Thanks. I am going to add one extra completion photo.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Thank you, Willi, and awesome job on the Val. Always good to see the tutorial tidbits! BTW, your 6.5/10 is my 10.5/10
    Thanks for the Rep Chris - much appreciated. I am going to add one additional completion photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well, last piece of the "Do Not Enter sign" arrived and installed.

No more pics on this one until the "Hers" half is done, which is just awaiting an appointment at the shop, or the fighting kit to go with it is complete. (Which is the real challenge, the Marines give me every detail I need to build an M4 to their spec piece by piece... the plate carrier and battle-belt, not so much.)

Some Paul Harvey here... this build is in memory of a friend who ever fully came home from the Rockpile. He had brought home as many parts off the M16A4 and M4 he fought over there as they'd let him with intent to rebuild them on civilian-legal frames, then found himself in a nasty divorce and needing cash so I "bought" his parts with him having Right of First Offer to buy them back or any rifle built from them. (Really had intended as a loan with us flipping parts/cash back as soon as his sitch improved, which was sadly not to be.) Anyway, before construction could commence he became one of the two dozen Iraq/Afghan vets to take their lives every day, so I decided to see it through and complete the build in his memory--if "Monster's" sons hadn't wanted his dog tags, I would have wanted to permanently mount them on this rifle.

what? no zombie apocalypse chainsaw bayonet????

Some Paul Harvey here... this build is in memory of a friend who ever fully came home from the Rockpile. He had brought home as many parts off the M16A4 and M4 he fought over there as they'd let him with intent to rebuild them on civilian-legal frames, then found himself in a nasty divorce and needing cash so I "bought" his parts with him having Right of First Offer to buy them back or any rifle built from them. (Really had intended as a loan with us flipping parts/cash back as soon as his sitch improved, which was sadly not to be.) Anyway, before construction could commence he became one of the two dozen Iraq/Afghan vets to take their lives every day, so I decided to see it through and complete the build in his memory--if "Monster's" sons hadn't wanted his dog tags, I would have wanted to permanently mount them on this rifle.[/QUOTE]

well, i hope your friend finds the peace he sought in life. it maddens me greatly how cavalier those that never face the danger use the lives of those that will. it just never seems to change or end.
    anyway what a nice tribute.

well, this space would contain the pics of a finely repainted (hahaha) dh4 a/b gun and halberstadt cliii that i finally got around to finishing if i could post pics.............

So my workbench will be all about Zeppelin Shipping containers this weekend! Everything has arrived as ordered and the elves have ordered Krispie Cream donuts! I will be glad to get back to models, the Shapeways latest order of DH-2's and Gothas is circling the post office as I write . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_185211_resized.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	290845

Well, I had planned on several posts of planes. However, this staycation week so far has been spent on house cleaning and purging (with the attached emotional distress involved ).
    Hopefully, I can get things wrapped up this week, and post in August.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Well, I had planned on several posts of planes. However, this staycation week so far has been spent on house cleaning and purging (with the attached emotional distress involved ).
    Hopefully, I can get things wrapped up this week, and post in August.
    Karl

stay strong my friend. recently went through this doing the same with grandmas house for a renovation. the process was both happy and sad. but it was long overdue. frankly it was the emotional equivalent of ripping off the bandaid. throwing myself into the sorting and packing process was helpful though. it provided a needed sense of accomplishment and felt as an emotional hump passed over. i sincerely hope your process provides you the same. and it is satisfying to see the house being fixed up.

We call it grief therapy in the trade, it helps us to remember so many important things and the rebuilding helps us look ahead for new memories and opportunities to cherish what we have, had and will carry forward into new times. Agatha Christie once opined after WWI and WWII shattered so many English families, time to mourn, time to mend, and time to move on . . . not sure she really said it, but it is so true. Blessings to your efforts!

So it was Boxing Day in the Clipper dome today, off work for MRI preps tomorrow, so do something fun! Make Zeppie Boxes! Yea! Except the boxes are not tuck boxes as hoped, but plane old RSC tube boxes, rats!

Name:	20200730_152337_resized.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	290852

Name:	20200730_152426_resized.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	290853

These will not work, but have no fear, we have elves! A quick bit with a knife and re-scored tabs and presto! Tuck boxes! Yea!

Name:	20200730_151115_resized.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	290854

In slow motion then, just in case you need a few dozen custom boxes . . .

Name:	20200730_145621_resized.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	290855

Carefully slit the seam on the box and open it into a large sheet of cardboard . . .

Name:	20200730_145614_resized.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	290856

Extend the end tabs by lengthening the cutouts . . . re-score the new tabs . . .

Name:	20200730_150738_resized.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	290857

Name:	20200730_150749_resized.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	290858

Add a layer of packing tape on the open edge for future wear protection . . .

Name:	20200730_150749_resized.jpg 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	290858

Re-fold the box and staple the ends . . .

Name:	20200730_150845_resized.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	290859

Repeat on each flap . . .

Name:	20200730_150926_resized.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	290860

Both ends, make sure the box is square and not twisted . . .

Name:	20200730_150951_resized.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	290861

Name:	20200730_151031_resized.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	290862

Name:	20200730_151059_resized.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	290863

test close . . .

Name:	20200730_151147_resized.jpg 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	290864

Repeat 5 more times . . .

Name:	20200730_151304_resized.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	290865

Much better and way more useful! Now for the inside packing thing, Packing Elves to the work floor!

Been a lot of busy people this month, Great job all. Been sort of busy myself with yard projects and an escalating border dispute with my neighbor. Wife has been here 35 years, he has only been here 15 and he thinks he can control our home. Sigh...can not do what I want so have had the city in here double checking some of his Afro engineered projects he never finished. Have a survey crew scheduled in a few weeks then wife wants a fence down the middle of the side by side driveways so we do not have to look at him. He already repoured his half the concrete drive 20 feet up with a 6 inch gap ( not sure he did not fudge it a bit hence our survey) so telegraphed his intent to fence it to the front walk. Sadly for him code says he has to stop at the front of his house (Willing to let him do it before making him correct the situation though). Sad part is we lose access to our garage (big truck, house built in the 1920's) so it becomes a double wide back yard with flower boxes and a firepit. Wife is really looking forward to it. Not seeing a good ending to this till we get out of Dodge and get our place out in the country though.

OK, on a better note, have a few weeks worth hobby store stuff to show and next week have about 40 D and D characters I did for a group.

Name:	100_7107.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	290870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7144.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	290871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7130.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	290872

Clipper nice HOW TO on the boxes.

Ken great figures as always and sorry to hear of your border dispute. Stay safe as he sounds like a ckanky person.

Shadowcat, as usually awesome looking minis.

Bob, part of his issue is the lock down. He is a very outgoing type who eats out every day and parties with his friends. Problem is he is alone, mid to late 50's and having issues finding a partner at this point ( He also bats for the other team and that crowd tends to ignore their older members). Add in no kids and I think the "going to die alone" blues is setting in. Then there is the mounting bills and credit issues, and a growing pot habit and he is in a flat spin at this point with no hope of recovery. Hence the lashing out at us, I understand the issue, but will not allow him to verbally assault my wife on our property anymore. At the current rate he will be behind 2 years on his taxes in about 6 months then the city steps in, just have to do damage control till things hit their conclusion. Normally I am a nice easy going person who tolerates a lot. Thing is I am also half Irish with a large chunk of Scottish in me and the temper to match. Have learned many years ago to keep it under control but in his case am about to let loose and let things take their natural course....almost looking forward to it, never a good sign.

But enough of this, not the proper place for it so sorry for those who are offended.

Here is my July workbench. Didn't quite finish my Jasta 30 Pfalz group but will soon. I've spent more time creating the needed decals than painting so far. A pair are for Jeff. Jeff, can you pick out yours?

Name:	J30.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	290881

I always think its funny to see all the great looking finished work here. I guess its just me seeing this as an in progress work bench instead of a finished work bench. I also scratch my head to see the same photos here in the painting showcase. Why both?

So what does it say about you, when you go to put the final touch on a plate of planes, and you use the wrong green on the part of splinter camo that needed done
    >note to admin: we need a "SCREAMING" smiley for this site<
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So what does it say about you, when you go to put the final touch on a plate of planes, and you use the wrong green on the part of splinter camo that needed done
    >note to admin: we need a "SCREAMING" smiley for this site<
    Karl
    Been there, done that. I'm sure it will happen again.

going through a coldwar/border dispute like that with neighbors on both sides (theyre conspiring) like that since my grandmothers passing. it all started later THE SAME DAY SHE PASSED with one neighbor approaching my as i got out of the car wanting to purchase the house and property. the same damn day. nonplussed for sure i stammered out that we had no plans to sell the house as its the last little bit of our family heritage. to which she replied gesturing to our backyard "well most of that is ours anyway!". as there seemed to be at least a little basis to their claim and being in emotional free fall i didnt know what to say. these neighbors had help look after grandma and mowed her yard for her for many years. now they seemed to think that gave them some claim to the property. there does seem to be some confusion as to the exact location of the property lines and 2 surveyors have resulted in 2 different locations. and now that were renovating the house the other neighbor is disputing some of what my brother has planned and making claims about and old septic tank the protrudes partly under his property "bubbling up". and note hes the one thats been running heavy equipment over it and is most certainly the one whose caused any damage! and neither has been there as long as my grandmother has been by many decades. in fact both their properties used to belong to our family. its all frankly a bit much especially as the loss of my grandmother is what triggered it. it just seems as if my worlds been flipped upside down.

Just let em know you have a developer asking about it, that should put em in a panic.

Name:	IMG_20200801_003658.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	290882

My current mess of a workbench. At least I found a use for the shaving stand to hold Snoopy while the clear gorilla glue cures.

Know that sight, here is my workbench at the moment.

Name:	100_7148.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	290883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7151.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	290884

More in a few days

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    going through a coldwar/border dispute like that with neighbors on both sides (theyre conspiring) like that since my grandmothers passing. it all started later THE SAME DAY SHE PASSED with one neighbor approaching my as i got out of the car wanting to purchase the house and property. the same damn day. nonplussed for sure i stammered out that we had no plans to sell the house as its the last little bit of our family heritage. to which she replied gesturing to our backyard "well most of that is ours anyway!". as there seemed to be at least a little basis to their claim and being in emotional free fall i didnt know what to say. these neighbors had help look after grandma and mowed her yard for her for many years. now they seemed to think that gave them some claim to the property. there does seem to be some confusion as to the exact location of the property lines and 2 surveyors have resulted in 2 different locations. and now that were renovating the house the other neighbor is disputing some of what my brother has planned and making claims about and old septic tank the protrudes partly under his property "bubbling up". and note hes the one thats been running heavy equipment over it and is most certainly the one whose caused any damage! and neither has been there as long as my grandmother has been by many decades. in fact both their properties used to belong to our family. its all frankly a bit much especially as the loss of my grandmother is what triggered it. it just seems as if my worlds been flipped upside down.
    Dang: real life as a reality show! I feel for both you and Ken with these neighbor issues.
    I'm more used to having inter-family fighting (my Father's line back 3 generations were/are not know for getting along with each other).
    Karl

Well, I can at least post workbench pics

Here's the old one, before moving to the room with better light (which is why we made that one the sewing room!):
    Note the WH State troops (2 boxes) started last fall!

Name:	2020-AUG-01-b.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	290885

And the new one: again, note the totes (yes plural) of tanks for the Tanks game back left.

Name:	2020-AUG-01-a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	290886

Karl

Why is that when people show their workbench I say

1. Those are some great ideas for the use of things that were not ment to be used like that
    2. How much of the things in the photo I recognize since I have a lot of the same things. I see what looks like a bunch of TANKS packs Karl
    3. WOW no wonder I can't find things when I need or want them

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Love the plate racks Karl!!!!
    Me too!

A way to pile up even more unfinished planes in my limited available space!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Me too!

Yeah, when the real estate footage is full, go up!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Me too!

Well....not the original intent
    It is an easier way to have more things ready for mass painting, like tacking minis to sticks and putting them in a block of holes.
    And it does work well......when I can motivate myself to sit at the table and pick up a brush
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Know that sight, here is my workbench at the moment.

Name:	100_7148.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	290883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7151.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	290884

More in a few days
    Are those from HeroForge?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Robert, the front 5 are Heroforge (was not sure at first). In checking it out I ordered a new fig for myself tonight, should be interesting.

Great looking U-Boat Gallo Rojo! I just bought U-BOOT The Board Game and I’m very jealous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. June 2020 Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 07-01-2020, 20:14
  2. April 2020 Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 05-31-2020, 06:47
  3. March 2020 Workbench
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room