Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 5 - "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus

Default OTT CYM - Mission 5 - "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus

OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 “Going Solo” - 5th August 1916

The Battle of the Somme has already been raging, on and off, for a month. For much of July 1916, the RFC has had a basic air superiority, which has caused much agitation amongst the Kaiser’s troops, but which has given British troops and their allies the confidence to move about without being overly concerned about threats from the sky. That included the knowledge that German aircraft were largely unable to direct their own artillery fire.

But towards the end of July, that all changed quite dramatically. Between 14th and 18th July considerable German reinforcements arrived. Two bomber-fighter squadrons (Kampfgeschwader) of the newly formed German First Army appeared. Aircraft were given duties such as so-called barrage patrols (sperrefliegen) behind and parallel to the German front, plus two squadrons of single-seater fighters (Kampfeinsitzer-Staffeln) also arrived. Reconnaissance, bombing, artillery spotting and the protection of those operations all became very much a problem for the Entente allies following this reorganisation. Air activity, therefore, went from being relatively quiet to being very aggressive. Many multiple aircraft fights began to be reported.

Your Mission
    A flight of five friendly single seat scouts have been on an offensive patrol. They ran into trouble, had a dog fight and lost two of their number. Then the remaining three got split up, one (that’s you) flying off on his own and the other two as a pair.

The solo flier is making his way back west/east* to the barn when he sees, crossing his path, a flight of enemy scouts heading north east / south west*. Two up ahead and three together following a short distance behind. He will attack the three at the back and in so doing the two up ahead are alerted. * Depends which side you represent.

Equipment
    Two mats – No Man’s Land and another representing enemy held territory. Lay these long edge to long edge.
    Three friendly single seat aircraft of the period. (B damage only)
    Five enemy single seat aircraft of the period (B damage only)

Set up
    Please see following diagram and photos.

Objective
    . To win, before he himself leaves, or is forced to quit. To achieve this, the solo friendly pilot must shoot down at least one enemy plus either shoot down, or force to quit, a second enemy aircraft.
    . If he shoots down only one but fails to force even one other to quit, it is a draw.
    . Forcing more than one to quit but failing to shoot one down is also a draw.
    . Failing to shoot one down and forcing only one or none to quit is a loss.
    . In any event, if he himself is shot down, he loses.

Special conditions
    . The solo pilot will have the “Lucky Pilot” ace skill, plus one other ace skill of your choice, taken from the campaign list. (Lucky Pilot is just for this mission and will not carry forward, but see below for details of a possible reward regarding the second, chosen, ace skill).

. An enemy aircraft will be forced to quit on any engine damage, pilot wound, smoke or fire damage card, in addition to the need to leave if the aircraft has only three health points left. The friendly solo pilot however, will only be forced to quit under the normal rules for our campaign.

. The solo flier may begin his exit strategy the moment victory conditions are known to have been achieved and his victory will be complete if and when he has successfully quit the field of play from any edge of the no man’s land mat** (or the half of the playing area used that leads to the friendly side of operations).

. Success for the solo pilot will end the mission. However, should the solo player be shot down or be forced to quit under losing conditions, then the remaining two friendly pilots will appear together, from the same starting point as the solo flier, one half range measure apart and heading towards the nearest enemy aircraft. They can turn a lost game into a draw, by either shooting down or forcing to quit, two enemy aircraft before themselves voluntarily leaving. But all of the normal campaign / game rules will apply during this second phase. The game will still be lost if either of these two are forced to quit or are shot down.

**NB The following diagram and photos assume “Friendly” aircraft are RFC. If flying for another air force please adapt the mats according to necessity.

(Note – The mission is designed as a five v one, with the one possibly being replaced with two more. However, if you do not have sufficient aircraft then it can be played as a three v one by ignoring the two forward enemy aircraft and the friendly replacements.)

Set up - Hopefully the following four photos, plus the diagram which follows them, will be clear enough to see you through the set up process

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 BRF1.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	289502 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 BRF2.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	289503

Name:	CYM5 BRF3.jpg 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	289504 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM5 BRF4.jpg 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	289505

Name:	IMG_20200630_105511.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	289506

Ace Skill Lucky Pilot
    This pilot may choose to ignore a single damage card during the game after drawing and seeing it.
    The ignored card is shuffled back into the deck.
    To remember that this skill has been used discard its token.

Other ace skills and their details will be found in the CYM Campaign rules and the following link should take you to these.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Campaign-Rules

Please note, that it has been agreed the “Other Skill” chosen for this mission will become a one use inherent skill, if your solo pilot survives the mission. However, if he is shot down, the enemy pilot responsible will take that skill instead.

Finally: If things get really rough for you, you have the option to bring in the extra two friendly pilots, as back up, after the first kill is achieved. However, the enemy FRTB, required for a clear victory, is still down to your solo pilot.

I hope you enjoy the mission. Please be aware that I shall try to answer any questions you may have about it, at least until the 3rd of July. After that I shall be off for a week on the canals

My thanks to Dave for proof reading the draft copy of this mission and for making some very useful suggestions for additional detail, including the reward scheme

Mike
    Last edited by flash; 06-30-2020 at 06:08. Reason: Title adjust

I have played this quite a number of times now (not yet for the campaign) , solo and against a human opponent. I have won, lost and drawn, so all are possible. Dave, who very kindly previewed the mission for me, reckoned it could all be over "brutally" early, but I have tried to avoid that by introducing a cunning plan "B". Hope you enjoy it, whatever the outcome for you personally.

Sorry about the final photo. Originally, this was all part of the document, but because I use Libre Office, it didn't upload. So I had to take a photo instead.

Yon and I are away for a week as from Saturday, so please, any queries, hate mail etc has to reach me before then so I can deal with it. Otherwise it will have to wait until we get back from our laid back trip on a canal barge

Fly safe everyone,

Mike

Nice one Mike, and get your gripes/requests in early chaps as I'm away from next Monday for a couple of weeks; though I hope to monitor the forum I will not be able to do too much else.

"He is wise who watches"

Have a good time wherever you are Uncle

I will only complain if my pilot dies Mike.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks like an interesting one, Mike.

And, luckily, I don't need any Entente 2-seaters ...

Also reminds me of BB401's Bitter End mission that inspired mine last month.

Thumbs up

That looks like a fascinating one Mike.
    I still have to play Mission 4 yet but will look forward to flying this one ASAP.
    Hope both you & Uncle have a really enjoyable break from front line duties.

Played it today, and it certainly went down to the wire.

Currently in combat From Hero to Zero

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

OK reporting back for duty after a terribly hard week cruising, eating, drinking and fishing on the Kennet and Avon canal Hope all is going according to plan, but if anyone has any queries still, nows the time

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK reporting back for duty after a terribly hard week cruising, eating, drinking and fishing on the Kennet and Avon canal Hope all is going according to plan, but if anyone has any queries still, nows the time
    Glad you can now rest from all that hard work, Mike.

No questions. I played the mission a week ago. Just haven’t done it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Already in the can Mike !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 19, 7 August 1918, "Amiens, Brother ..." (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 05:24
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2018, 19:50
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 19 - Flash's "Amiens Brother.." 7th August 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2018, 00:36
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 13:50