Ares Games

Thread: Fun in the Sun with a Hun !

Default Fun in the Sun with a Hun !

Having done some decorating I found I'd accrued enough brownie points and a little spare time before the weekend to get some solo action going !
    I wanted to keep it simple so didn't get into the altitude element in any big way and though it carries the names of actual pilots the following AAR bears no resemblance to historical events or the WW1 timeline, I just used models from my Wednesday night go box and added the names as required.

Offizierstellvertreter (Warrant Officer) Reinhold Jörke is trying out his new Fokker D.VI when he's found by Frank (Mongoose) Soden flying his SE.5. (A repaint of Bishop's SE.5)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1961.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	289413

Jörke has to turn into the attack coming from his two o'clock - both machines open up at close range causing a respectable amount of damage to each other - Jörke's tail is damaged and one of his guns jams.

Name:	SAM_1964.JPG 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	289414

Jörke works on his gun as he sideslips and turns to his left as dictated by his control damage; he sees the SE has turned to it's right and that they will soon pass each other again...A long range exchange this time and both suffer control damage affecting left turns but this will not affect either machine in the next turn.

Name:	SAM_1972.JPG 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	289415

They pass each other, Jörke hooks hard right behind Soden's tail, getting into position for another long range shot causing damage to the SE but again a gun jams.

Name:	SAM_1974.JPG 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	289416

Jörke chases him round while he clears his guns but the Mongoose is a slippery chap and shakes him off before he can clear his gun -

Name:	SAM_1978.JPG 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	289417

They follow the reversed turns but before they can meet again they are joined in the battle area by a certain red triplane and a large Sopwith Dolphin drawn to the fracas and keen to assist.

Name:	SAM_1982.JPG 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	289418

Jörke gets back on target as he slides in behind the SE, opening up at close range once again. causing further control damage for the Mongoose. The Triplane and the Dolphin collide but it's a mere brush; the triplane and SE swap lead too

Name:	SAM_1984.JPG 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	289419

Jörke is confronted by the Dolphin as it emerges from the melee and they swap spit at close range - the Fokker is hit hard again & coughs smoke, the Dolphin jams a gun.

Name:	SAM_1986.JPG 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	289420

Breaking away the triplane takes a shot from the SE as it pirouettes above him but no significant damage is taken

Name:	SAM_1987.JPG 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	289421

Jörke's Fokker is severely damaged and he signals to his colleague he must break for home, the pilot nods and indicates he will cover his withdrawal

Name:	SAM_1988.JPG 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	289422

The red tripe reverses and catches the Dolphin as it looks to chase down Jörke's Fokker, jamming his gun in the process

Name:	SAM_1990.JPG 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	289423

Jörke gets away cleanly and the triplane eludes the enemy

Name:	SAM_1994.JPG 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	289424

Butcher's Tally

Name:	SAM_1996.JPG 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	289425
    The long shadow on the left is from an aircraft stand - sun low in the west by this point.

Everyone got home safe with a bit, or, a lot of damage so all in all a good result all round.

PS. As a point of interest I was flying the Fokker D.VI and was nearly bested by my own AI - wouldn't have been the first time !
    Last edited by flash; 06-29-2020 at 01:15.

"He is wise who watches"

Loved the paint jobs. Nice AAR!

Great stuff, Dave!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice AAR, Dave.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

Good to see you keeping your hand in Dave.
    Really loved Joske's kite & the Dolphin.
    How did you find the SE 5 compared with flying the 5a?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...How did you find the SE 5 compared with flying the 5a?
    The speed is more manageable than the SE5a Baz but it's a bit of a dog due to all those steep cards. Once you get into close quarters and want to throw it around a bit every other card is a steep so you have to be careful how you play them. It's certainly not a machine you'd want to pick up a wound in as that will severely cramp your shooting chances without a major re think of tactics.
    However - I was flying the Fokker D.VI !!
    Last edited by flash; 06-29-2020 at 01:16.

"He is wise who watches"