Ares Games

Thread: Taranto and Pearl Harbor

Default Taranto and Pearl Harbor

The author of this story attributes this RN air raid on Taranto with giving the IJN the inspiration for the Pearl Harbor raid. Please see story:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/re...-harbor-163071

Old hat, however with the breaking of enigma code that many Italian and German naval convoys were intercepted. To keep this a secret reconnaissance aircraft were sent out to confirm what they already knew so the Axis would not be suspicious.

A very brave Martinside reconnaissance aircraft pilot (Warbarton) went into Taranto twice (the first time the crew could not agree how many ships were at anchor) and confirmed that 6 capital ships were at anchor and a number of cruisers and destroyers.

The attack went in and if I could find a way to confirm, it could be that one of those killed could have been a relative. PO Bayly
    See you on the Dark Side......

Nothing new; this has been reported in numerous histories. Since the operational methods of the IJN carriers involved raids (rather than the more sustained power projection the USN did late in the war),
    I'm sure that Captain Minoru Genda would have figured out how to use torpedo planes even without the Taranto example. Though it may have helped him convince Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of it's feasibility.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Re-hash of previously published material - I have numerous books stating the same conclusions.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

national interest loves rehashing old news like its some kind of newsflash.

My intent in putting this up here was not for the greybeards of site who, as they have stated, have a profundity of knowledge -- but rather for the newbies who may not yet have made that connection between the two historical events.

wasnt trying to come off critical of your post bill. sorry if thats how it was perceived. im just amused at how national interest rehashes old articles and subjects for click bait and acts like its some kind of newsflash.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    wasnt trying to come off critical of your post bill. sorry if thats how it was perceived. im just amused at how national interest rehashes old articles and subjects for click bait and acts like its some kind of newsflash.
    No worries....

Similar Missions

1. Pearl Harbor B-17
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2017, 12:46
  2. Pearl Harbor
    By Captjimc7 in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 13:03
  3. Multiplayer: Pearl Harbor
    By Captjimc7 in forum WGS: Mission Discussions