Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM Mission 4: A Hunting We Will Go – 27 July 1916 – by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-CYM Mission 4: A Hunting We Will Go – 27 July 1916 – by ShadowDragon

OTT-CYM Mission 4: A Hunting We Will Go – 27 July 1916 – by ShadowDragon
    Original scenario by Stumptonian

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-Stumptonian

Two elderly men are seated on the veranda overlooking a vineyard somewhere in the Hunter Valley. They puff their pipes and sip a glass of red wine. Shortly an attractive elderly woman joins them.

“Oh, Jacques, that’s such a disgusting habit. How can you taste the Cabernet?”

“Never you mind, Angélique. I can taste it just fine,” responded the man seated closest to Angélique. He turns to the other man. “A penny for your thoughts, Bruce.”

There’s a long pause.

“Thinking of the old days in the RNAS.”

“Yeah, I am Jack. Did I ever tell you about that strange mission – near the end of July ’16?”

“Nah, you never did. I suspected it had something to do with the events that happened afterwards, but I wasn’t sure.”

“Well, it started when those two chaps in plain clothes visited, the CO - Rumsbottle. Special intelligence group something or other.”

Angélique looked at Bruce quizzically.

Jack replied, “Spies, ma chérie, spies.”

Bruce went on, “Shortly after that Sir Henry summoned Flashman. The next thing you know Flashman tells Fergis to suit up – the two of them are going on a patrol. That was a surprise to all of us. Rumsbottle always had an excuse why Fergis couldn’t go on regular missions – things like ferrying that pompous excuse for a mustache, General Melchett, around or giving flying lessons to his cousin, Lord Flashheart.”

“Yeah, I remember. The rest of us were trying to figure out if Fergis had compromising information on the Old Man and how we could get in on the cushy jobs.”

“I weren’t that at all.”

“As we found out.”

“As we found out. What I never told you was that Flashman came to me before their mission and asked me the shadow the two of them but that if I should see anything that looked like trouble I was to intervene. Otherwise I was to just shadow them.”

“Trouble like what?”

“I asked him that and he just said that I was to be the judge of that. So there I was trying to hide in the clouds so Fergis wouldn’t see me yet still able to keep an eye on the two of them. They were flying on our side of the front – parallel to it with Fergis closest to the NML. Soon enough there was an Albatros two-seater heading our way – likely on a photo recon mission.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM0401.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	289204

“Fergis saw him first and waggled his wings to get Flashman’s attention. Then Flashman did the most curious thing. He signaled Fergis to attack but he kept flying the same course as if the Hun wasn’t there at all.”

Name:	CYM0402.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	289203

“After a short bit, Flashman turned to follow Fergis at a distance. Well that seemed okay enough, but I wondered why in blazes did Flashman wait so long to turn towards the Hun. It’s not like Flashman was a coward or anything. Quite the opposite. He was usually first into the thick of things.”

“That’s ‘struth,” said Jack – all ears for a story of the olden that was news to him.

“Struth?” said Bruce. “Jack it’s not like you’re a genuine Aussie. There’s still a bit of that Alberta cowboy in you.”

Name:	CYM0403.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	289202

“There wasn’t time to figure out what was up as Fergis engaged the two-seater. I just hung back – two scouts against a sole two-seater seemed like fair odds.”

Name:	CYM0404.jpg 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	289201

“Fergis was flying well and got a really good burst off against the Hun. The Hun fired back but from my perspective it was the Hun that got the worst of round one.”

Name:	CYM0405.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	289200

“As soon as the Hun passed Fergis, there was Flashman. I was thinking at the that Flashman had a new, clever flight tactic with his unusual first reaction to the Hun. But if that was the case it didn’t work out as the Hun needed to do some flying to avoid Fergis and that must of spoiled Flashlman’s aim.”

Name:	CYM0406.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	289199

“That left both Fergis and Flashman flying away from the Hun who seemed focussed on his mission and flew on away from our chaps.

Name:	CYM0407.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	289198

"Both Flashman and Fergis zipped around with Immelmann turns. Flashman was closest to the Hun. He and the Hun observer exchanged fire but both soon went silent.”

“Jammed guns?”

“That’s what I figured.”

Name:	CYM0408.jpg 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	289197

“The Hun flew slowly over a spot that looked like it was something important for our army and then turned to fly parallel to the NML. I figure that he had another spot to photograph but Flashman was on the Hun’s tail – he was flying really well. It looked like Fergis anticipated the move and flew a course to head the Hun off.”

Name:	CYM0409.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	289196

“As I was saying, Flashman was tailing the Hun like a shark was onto a bleeding whale. I’m sure his guns were jammed because he had that Hun dead to rights – flying up close in the Hun’s blind spot. I figure those Huns must have been praying and soiling their pants at the same time.”

Name:	CYM0410.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	289195

“The Hun pilot what looked like a clever turn but maybe he was just homing in on his next target. Which ever it was, Fergis was waiting for him.”

Name:	CYM0411.jpg 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	289194

“Fergis got as beautiful a shot at the Hun as one could want. It looked like he hit the Hun’s engine as the Albatros started to fly a little bit erratically.”

Name:	CYM0412.jpg 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	289193

“By then the Hun had turned and was heading for home. I don’t know if he had his quota of photographs but even if he hadn’t the engine hit put an end to his mission. That must of surprised Fergis as he had to do quick duck under the Albatros or they would have collided.”

Name:	CYM0413.jpg 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	289192

“This left both Flashman and Fergis somewhat behind the Hun who was approaching the frontline. Flashman was closest and had the best chance of catching the Hun. There would have been no chance at all if the Albatros if Fergis hadn’t hit its engine.”

Name:	CYM0414.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	289191

“Sure enough Flashman caught up and started to exchange fire with the Hun observer.”

Name:	CYM0415.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	289190

“After his initial bursts, Flashman had the measure of the Albatros was doing a fair bit of damage. The Hun’s gun went silent – another jam.”

Name:	CYM0416.jpg 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	289189

“They hadn’t figured out the trick with the mallet? You know the one that RFC chap showed us.’

“Nah, at least not then. Our secret weapon was still safe. The Hun then disappeared into a cloud bank and none of us saw him again. So that was that.”

Name:	CYM0417.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	289188

“Why didn’t you intercept the Albatros?”

“I would have but I was having my own fight. Just before the Albatros reach its first target another one appeared – a Roland. Two of those robust Hun two-seaters versus two of our Bébés – agile but a little bit fragile – seemed like trouble to me.”

Name:	CYM0418.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	289187

“So I dropped down out of my overwatch holding pattern.”

Name:	CYM0419.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	289186

“I didn’t know if the Roland was after bombing or photographs or just protecting the other Hun from Flashman and Fergis. I was determined to get to that Hun first.”

Name:	CYM0420.jpg 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	289185

“The Hun pilot and me had our first how-do-you-do. I don’t doubt that I hit that pilot. He jerked and then slumped into his seat.”

Name:	CYM0421.jpg 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	289184

“That Hun pilot must have been hurt badly. Whatever mission the Roland was on it wasn’t going to happen and the Roland turned to head back to their side of the lines.”

Name:	CYM0422.jpg 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	289183

“I tailed the Roland and got another good try at him.”

Name:	CYM0423.jpg 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	289182

“But it wasn’t enough. The Hun followed his comrade into the same cloud bank. He hadn’t done that well. Both Huns got away and one likely with photographs.”

Name:	CYM0424.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	289181

“So what about the purpose of that mission?”

“I don’t know. When we got back to the station Flashman headed straight to the Old Man’s office. Don’t know what was said. I walked over to Fergis and told him whatever problem the Old Man had with him, he sure wasn’t afraid to have a go at the Hun.”

“There was more to that story.”

“Sure enough. That came later but it was the first inkling I had that there was a black mark on Fergis.”

“We all had our black marks as far as the RN was concerned.”

“Yeah, we did but Fergis had the blackest of them.”

VICTORY POINTS
    Seadogs = 2 X 1 point per enemy FRTB = 2 points
    Adlers = 1 X 2 points per 2-seater exiting with photos in NML designated area + 2 X 1 point per photo for planes that successfully exit = 4 points

Adler Victory

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs

Nieport 11
    FCdr Nigel Flashman / RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM04BBFlashman.jpg 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	289208

NieUport 11
    FSL Fergis O’Neil / RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM04BBFergis.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	289209

Nieuport 11
    FSL Bruce Dundee / RTB / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM04BBBruce.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	289210

The Adlers

LFG Roland C.II
    Pilot: Obltn Karl Ray / FRTB-W / WIA / 0 kills
    C&W = Roll 8 - 1 WIA + 1 Land Safe = 8; injured = roll 3, skip 1

Observer: Ltn Franz Rolfes/ FRTB-W (Pilot) / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM04BBKarlFranz.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	289206

Albatros C.III
    Pilot: Vzfwbl Hans Schwendemann/ FRTB-E / - / 0 kills

Ltn Alois Böning / FRTB-E / - / 0 kills

Name:	CYM04BBHansAlois.jpg 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	289207

Reflection on the AAR

A bit of an uneventful mission for the Seadogs - unusually for me there were no fires or booms. I ended the game according to:

“If there are no opponents on the table at the end of any turn you can end the game if you choose to do so, before rolling for an additional opponent. “

The option of ending if:

“...until you have no aircraft remaining”

...didn’t seem like a good idea if that meant the seadogs.

I had forgotten:

“...until two of the two-seaters have successfully exited the playing area with at least one photo each...”

But even if I had remembered I would have ended it as I had already done 7 turns and two more two-seaters seemed like a new mission all over. It was late and I had to clear the playing area so that was that.

My rolls for new planes was such that the first successful entry was turn 4. It might have gone differently if the 2nd two-seater arrived early or if the two I got hadn’t exited on the same turn leaving none at the start of the 8th turn.

Well, I’m sure many missions ended like this one.

Thumbs up

Well that was a bit of a Non Event Paul with both Huns exiting due to FRTB.
    However I enjoyed your story telling of another episode from the post war period!

Nicely done Paul, a technical loss but at least a cheap one for the Seadog's as all the boys got home. I expect they thought they'd done reasonably well as they'd hustled both Heine's out of the battle space in quite short order.
    Like the cleaner images too, less is more !

Uncle says:

Well done chaps you saw the Jerries off but they got away with the gen they came for so we'll have to work harder on bagging those tandems in future.
    Last edited by flash; 06-24-2020 at 08:36.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A well told tale Paul. Things happen that way sometimes as I'm sure they did in reality. I'm intrigued by the black mark Fergis O'Neil has picked up from old Sir Henry Rumsbottle (Like that name). Hope we get to find out soon.

Thanks for the entertainment and quite frankly, with the amount I have on at present, I'm only too glad it was short and to the point Pity the Doggies didn't get the result, again (meaning my bad), but you can't win 'em all

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well that was a bit of a Non Event Paul with both Huns exiting due to FRTB.
    However I enjoyed your story telling of another episode from the post war period!
    It took some thinking how to ‘tell’ the story of this AAR. It didn’t really fit a grandad yarn for the kiddies. So it became an old secret revealed one. Only future AAR will figure out where that one goes.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nicely done Paul, a technical loss but at least a cheap one for the Seadog's as all the boys got home. I expect they thought they'd done reasonably well as they'd hustled both Heine's out of the battle space in quite short order.
    Like the cleaner images too, less is more !

Uncle says:

Well done chaps you saw the Jerries off but they got away with the gen they came for so we'll have to work harder on bagging those tandems in future.
    Thanks, Uncle. The doggies will try better next time.

Less is indeed more, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    A well told tale Paul. Things happen that way sometimes as I'm sure they did in reality. I'm intrigued by the black mark Fergis O'Neil has picked up from old Sir Henry Rumsbottle (Like that name). Hope we get to find out soon.

Thanks for the entertainment and quite frankly, with the amount I have on at present, I'm only too glad it was short and to the point Pity the Doggies didn't get the result, again (meaning my bad), but you can't win 'em all

The doggies had three good missions until now but this one was relatively unbloody all around.

I too am curious about the black mark. It’s different weaving a story around the artefacts of an AAR rather than the other way around. I guess that’s what historians do - find a few pot shards and make up a story to fit. Eight missions to find out - maybe.

"There was no wrecks, and nobody drownded - fact nuthin' to laff at at all ..." *

Happens sometimes.
    My Mission 2 ended quickly like that (but there were wrecks)

Hope you enjoyed it, all the same.

* The Lion and Albert, Marriott Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    "There was no wrecks, and nobody drownded - fact nuthin' to laff at at all ..." *

Happens sometimes.
    My Mission 2 ended quickly like that (but there were wrecks)

Hope you enjoyed it, all the same.

* The Lion and Albert, Marriott Edgar
    The scenario was great. I just had some extreme rolls in terms of the 2nd two-seater not arriving until turn 4, first shot at it causing a FRTB. If it had arrived earlier very likely both two-seaters wouldn't have been driven off the table on the same turn. But on the other hand I didn't have time to play out a long session so it was okay. I managed to get a good story out of it and that's my primary aim. Of course, it's always more fun with booms and fires.

An intriguing story, what is the black mark, we wait to hear, but that Fergis looks a wrong un to me.

I enjoyed the story line, you're developing it nicely, the game might have been a quiet one but there's nothing wrong with getting home alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    An intriguing story, what is the black mark, we wait to hear, but that Fergis looks a wrong un to me.

I enjoyed the story line, you're developing it nicely, the game might have been a quiet one but there's nothing wrong with getting home alive.
    What's the black mark? Even I don't know yet - and is it a malicious rumour or not?

Yeah, "Fergis" should look wrong....should be "Fergus" but there was a typo on his birth certificate and 'Fergis' it remains. Perhaps he's fictional...er, which would make him doubly fictional (fictional within a fiction):

https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Fergis

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ...but that Fergis looks a wrong un to me....
    Oh, I get it. His photo is the one I stole....er, pre-empted you on. Yeah, a rather haughty look. Don't trust 'im.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting Flash Will Go - 27 July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 11:12
  2. BRF OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Stumptonian
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 11:02
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 04:53
  4. Replies: 20