Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27th July 1916 - Mike's AAR

Default OTT CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27th July 1916 - Mike's AAR

OTT CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go – 27 July 1916
    Mike’s AAR

“Jerry, what, in the name of all that’s good, do you think you were doing up there? When I said it would be a training flight I didn’t mean you should trail along behind me, like a dog on a lead, and do absolutely nothing to assist!”
    Acting Lieutenant Dubh Beard was more than a little annoyed. And when he was in a mood like this his Waterford Irish accent became very much more noticeable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dubh Beard (3).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	288944 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd Lt Jerry McKenzie.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	288945
    Acting Lt Dubh Beard 2nd Lt Jerry Mckenzie

“I’m truly sorry, sir. I know exactly what you meant me to do, but every time I tried to get on the tail of one of those two seaters, they seemed to move away faster than I anticipated and in the wrong direction. I think I was so wound up and nervous I made silly mistakes and couldn’t stop myself. It was like being in trouble, back at school, sir!”

Which, of course, is precisely where, 2nd Lt Jerry McKenzie had been just a short while ago. A New Zealander by birth, his wealthy parents had packed him off to a British Boarding school, in the south of England, to get an education and to make a man of him.
    “Huh,” thought Dubh “ an excuse to let someone else take the responsibility for watching him grow through his difficult teenage years.” Which was a bit unfair of him, perhaps, but that was the way Dubh thought. After all, he’d been through that system himself.
    Mckenzie was just eighteen years old now and hardly a man yet!
    Dubh, was in despair and very disappointed. He’d had high hopes of Mckenzie. What was he to do with the lad? He decided to ask Uncle, the fount of all knowledge aerial. He would have the answer.
    “Go and get yourself freshened up, Jerry. We’ll go up again later and have another go. In fact we’ll keep at it every day until I’m happy you can survive long enough to see your nineteenth birthday. Off you go now!”
    And McKenzie disappeared as fast as his legs would carry him.

Name:	Uncle (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	288946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smoking with Uncle 2.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	288947
    Uncle

A few minutes later, Dubh found himself sharing a pipe with Uncle in a smoke filled room that had the strong aroma of aromatic tobacco. He pondered upon this whilst he waited patiently for Uncle to deal with a messenger from one of the artillery positions. Apparently, according to Uncle, the trade journal Tobacco, in an editorial of October 1914, claimed that ‘it might almost be said that a man in the firing line first thinks of his cartridges and the very next thing he seems to worry about is ammunition for his pipe. The pipe itself is only less precious than the rifle’. Dubh wasn’t at all sure about this as he coughed in the fug created by the tobacco. On the table was a small tin of pipe tobacco with “Erik Peter Stokkebye” writ large on its lid. “So he’s responsible is he?” Dubh thought.

“The artillery bods are reasonably happy with our efforts, Dubh!” said Uncle, once the artilleryman had left. “But the hun are getting away with too many photographs of our positions.”
    “I’m aware of that, Uncle, which is why I’m here, actually. I’m worried about young McKenzie. Took him up on a training flight this morning.

Name:	Roland CII v DH2 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	288948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roland CII v DH2 2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	288949

We encountered a lot of hun activity, in the form of Roland two seaters, obviously on photographic reconnaisance patrols. Although I got one of the blighters, as did Flight Sergeant Drake, who happened along, young McKenzie was in an absolute dither and was as much use as a fart in a wind.
    “What are we going to do about him? Its been a few weeks now and he hasn’t shown much sign of improvement. If he’s not careful he’s going to wind up going west very soon.”

“I wouldn’t fret too much if I were you, Dubh. He’s keen and brave to the point of foolishness, like so many his age. Just be patient and make sure he gets plenty of time in the air. He’ll learn. It took you a while if I remember correctly” he added with a sly grin.
    “Now, tell me exactly what happened this morning. I see Flight Sergeant Drake returned from his patrol with a damaged machine, a nasty leg wound and a claim for a Roland. Can you confirm that?”

Name:	F Sgt Charles Drake.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	288950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crashed Roland CII.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	288951
    F/Sgt Charles Drake

“Yes, I can, to be sure. But I better start from the beginning.

“Mckenzie and I went up at 6.00 a.m. and I led us south to the limit of our zone of operations. Then we turned back north again, all the while staying our side of the lines. We saw nothing at all until we reached a point just east of the ruins of the village of Carnoy. Then I spotted a single Roland heading south, about a mile away. So I let McKenzie know and waved him ahead.

Name:	CYM4 1.jpg 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	288952 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 2.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	288953

“Off we went in chase, with Mckenzie leading on my port side, but with a head start and the wind in his favour, the Roland was making good distance and we were struggling to catch up.

Name:	CYM4 3.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	288954 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 4.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	288955

Name:	CYM4 5.jpg 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	288956 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 6.jpg 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	288957

“It was clear that he was heading for a factory building just north of Carnoy and he arrived there well before we did, no doubt getting the photographs he wanted.

Name:	CYM4 7.jpg 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	288958 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 8.jpg 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	288959

“Nothing we could do about that I’m afraid, unless we could catch him up and bring him down. He didn’t seem in the least concerned about us, so perhaps he hadn’t spotted us at that stage.

Name:	CYM4 9.jpg 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	288960 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 10.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	288961

“Then I saw a second Roland heading for the same location, arriving from the north. They must have had some information about that factory , because these weren’t the only EA interested in photographing it. But more of that in a minute. You will understand, of course, that all of this was happening during a few minutes at most.”
    “Yes, I understand that, Dubh. But you haven’t mentioned F/Sgt Drake at all, so far.”

Name:	CYM4 11.jpg 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	288962 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 12.jpg 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	288963

“To be honest, Uncle,” continued Dubh, “ I was so busy focusing on the two Rolands and their activity, that I didn’t notice Drake arriving until he was almost on top of the EA, that were, fortunately for us, heading in his direction. So Drake reached the Rolands, just as we were nearing the second to arrive, a blue one.

Name:	CYM4 13.jpg 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	288964 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 14.jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	288965

Name:	CYM4 15.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	288966 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 16.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	288967

“And I confess that I was getting a little hot under the collar by then. Not only were two damned Rolands basically ignoring us (their targets must have been very important to them), but Mc Kenzie, with almost the perfect opportunity straight ahead of him, decided to turn to his right, “in order to get on their tail” he told me later. Well that was his first mistake, as he never managed to catch them up after that and he totally missed his opportunity.

Name:	CYM4 17.jpg 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	288968 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 18.jpg 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	288969

“Finally, I got myself in range of one of the blighters, but to crown it all, although I know I hit him, his observer returned fire and set my bloody machine alight. Very uncomfortable with that, I was, to be sure.

Name:	CYM4 19.jpg 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	288970 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 20.jpg 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	288971

“And not only that, but I’m certain F/Sgt Drake overcooked his approach and allowed the other Roland to open fire on him first. But I’ll give Charlie Drake his due. He corrected that very quickly and next second he had byepassed the first Roland and got a terrific hit on the blue one, which blew up something around his engine department and down he tumbled.

“But I only caught glimpses of this, because I was concerned about the fire on board my bus, and was also trying to keep an eye on young Mckenzie at the same time.

Name:	CYM4 21.jpg 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	288972 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 22.jpg 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	288973

Name:	CYM4 23.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	288974

“Right, well stop right there for a moment. Catch your breath and drink this down.” And he passed Dubh a large whiskey in a rather fine crystal tumbler.

Name:	Jamesons.jpg 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	288975 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterford Crystal.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	288976

“Oh Uncle, I do believe this comes from my very own home town.” said Dubh, lifting the Waterford Crystal to his lips, very carefully.
    “Indeed it does, Dubh. You are highly honoured young man, so don’t bloody drop it!”.
    “What and waste the Jamesons, perish the thought, Uncle.”
    “OK, break over, get on with the report, I’m afraid I still have rather a lot to do before tomorrow morning dawns.”

“Right.” Dubh took a deep breath and continued.
    “Well, sad to say, things were going from good to bad to worse, I’m afraid. My fire would not go out. At the same time, Drake appeared to make a move west towards the barn, so I had to assume he was either wounded or so badly damaged he had to get out of the fight. Mckenzie was still following me and nowhere near the remaining Roland, which went merrily about its business, no doubt clicking away with cameras galore and happy as larry. And us in no position to do anything whatsoever about him.

Name:	CYM4 24.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	288977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 25.jpg 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	288978

Name:	CYM4 26.jpg 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	288979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 27.jpg 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	288980

I’m afraid I had to let him go, because at that moment, off to the north, yet another bloody Roland appeared.

Name:	CYM4 28.jpg 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	288981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 29.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	288982

Name:	CYM4 30.jpg 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	288983

So I decided to try and put things to rights and first of all to put out the damned fire. Diving was my attempted answer. Not a good time to have to try that.

Name:	CYM4 31.jpg 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	288984 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 32.jpg 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	288985

Name:	CYM4 33.jpg 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	288986 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 34.jpg 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	288987

I’m not sure if that worked or not, because by the time I pulled out of my dive, the fire was still going strong. Mckenzie was still following like a faithful hound and the original Roland was now making its way east, towards its own barn, still clicking away no doubt. What could they be so interested in around that area?”
    “Your guess is as good as mine on that one Dubh. Try asking the intelligence officer.”
    “What intelligence officer?”
    “”Oh of course, you probably haven’t heard. We have a new boy joined us this morning. Name of Humphrey Bogarden. Assigned to us as our intelligence officer, no less.”
    “Well I’ll be damned.” Exclaimed Dubh.
    “I’ve been telling you that for as long as I can remember, Dubh. Now please get on with it.”
    “Sorry, Uncle. Guess I’m just a little weary right now. Well, to continue,

Name:	CYM4 35.jpg 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	288988 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 36.jpg 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	288989

“A third Roland was now approaching fast, which I think I’ve already told you, but the good news is, the fire on my bus gave one last gasp, and went out. So the dive must have done some good.. Then, forgetting the original Roland as a lost cause, I started to climb again whilst turning towards our newcomer. All the while with Mckenzie doing a grand job as my wing man!”
    “Be fair, Dubh. Get that out of your system. You’ve got to give the boy a chance. OK?”
    “Point taken and approved Uncle.

Name:	CYM4 37.jpg 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	288990 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 38.jpg 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	288991

Name:	CYM4 39.jpg 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	288992 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 40.jpg 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	288993

“ So, like I said, I climbed and as I did so I took the opportunity to duck in behind McKenzie again, to give him the lead.

Name:	CYM4 41.jpg 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	288994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 42.jpg 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	288995

Name:	CYM4 43.jpg 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	288996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 44.jpg 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	288997

This third Roland headed almost straight towards us. Not sure what his objective was, but I could see his observer hanging over the side taking photos. Once more, seemingly unconcerned or unaware of our presence. So I managed to catch him in the flank, so to speak. Turning in sharply as he tried to duck past us. I’m afraid I have to say it again, Uncle. Mckenzie got it wrong a second time. Thought he’d get on the Roland’s tail and overshot the mark, again.

Name:	CYM4 45.jpg 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	288998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 46.jpg 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	288999

Name:	CYM4 47.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	289000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 48.jpg 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	289001

“But that left me the perfect opportunity. I took a lot of hits doing it, but I managed to get on his tail and gave him a bloody good peppering. I have to hand it to them though. The observer couldn’t get at me with his machine gun, because of my position below and up close to his tail, so he kept taking photos. I could see him doing it. Takes guts that does, under the kind of fire I was giving him.

“But, of course, having taken so much damage myself up to this point, I realized it was time to withdraw or go down myself. So one last burst and I gave Mckenzie the wave to start heading home again.

Name:	CYM4 49.jpg 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	289002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 50.jpg 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	289003

Then blow me down, I saw the Roland start spinning. He seemed to be on fire too, so I must have hit something vital. Felt sorry for the poor bugger, I have to admit. Flamers are not nice and I had just avoided the same fate a few seconds earlier. Made me shudder.

Name:	CYM4 51.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	289004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM4 52.jpg 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	289005

“ So off we went, with one last joke to come, of course. As we flew west, I looked back to make sure Mckenzie was still with me. He was, thankfully, but I swear I caught sight of yet another bloody Roland in the distance. I guess they got their fill of photos today, Uncle. Sorry about that, but they were very determined.”

Name:	CYM4 53.jpg 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	289006

“Can’t be helped, Dubh. All in a days work, wouldn’t you agree. You did well I believe and I’m certain young Mckenzie will come good. His opportunity to prove himself or die trying will come soon enough, I’m sure of that. Just you wait and see. Now, I really must get on, Dubh. So, if you’ll excuse me – you can bugger off now.

The End

The Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	CYM4 54.jpg 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	289007

A/Lt Dubh Beard / RTB/ 1 kill
    Result – All good

2nd Lt Jerry McKenzie / RTB / No kills
    Result – All good

F/Sgt Charle Drake / FRTBW / WIA / 1 kill
    Roll 2D6 = 7 + 1 RTB = 8 Injured – skip 1D2 = 2 – Skip 1 scenario
    Result – Skip 1 scenario

Central Powers

Name:	CYM4 55.jpg 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	289008

Fwbl Franz Theiler and Ltn Wilhelm Kummetz / RTB / 0 kills Add 3 Photos
    Result – All good

Fwbl Robert Janzen / EXP ET / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 10 – 3 EXP = 7 Injured Roll 1D2 = 2 – Skip 1 scenario
    E&E Roll 2D6 = 8 -1 EXP -1 WIC -1 ET = 5 In hiding skip 1D2 Roll 2 – skip 1 scenario
    Result – Skip 1 scenario

Ltn Johannes Mesch / EXP ET / 0 kills (Took 1 photo)
    Roll 2D6 = 5 – 3 EXP = 2 KIA
    Result – KIA

Ltn Karl Niederhoff / FLM ET / WIA / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 11 – 2 FLM – 1 WIA = 8 Injured skip 1D2 = 1 skip 1 scenario
    E & E Roll 2D6 = 4 – 1 FLM – 1 WIA - 1 WIC = 1 Captured !
    Result – Captured – The war is over for this pilot

Ltn Dieter Geigl / FLM ET / 0 kills ( Took 2 photos)
    Roll 2D6 = 11 – 2 FLM = 9 All well
    E & E Roll 2D6 = 7 – 1 FLM – 1 BEL = 5 In hiding Roll 1D2 = 5 skip 2 scenarios
    Result – Skip 2 scenarios

Name:	CYM4 56.jpg 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	289009

Vzfwbl Hans Achterberg (P2) / RTB / No kills
    Result – All Good

Ltn Franz Hennig (O) / RTB / No Kills (Took Three Photos)
    Result – All good

Victory Points:
    Bulldogs – 2 Enemy aircraft shot down (With photos) = 6 points
    Eagles – 2 Enemy aircraft FRTB = 2 points; 2 RTB Exiting no-mans land with photos = 4 points; Photos = 5 points bonus

Totals:
    Bulldogs 6 points
    Eagles 11 points
    Clear win for the Eagles
    Last edited by flash; 06-21-2020 at 03:33. Reason: Tally tidy

Pete, thanks a bundle buddy. A very enjoyable mission even though it didn't go our way The starting position meant i was playing catch up from the start and for some reason the trainee just never made an impact - not once. Added to that I kept having to bring on one Roland after another and my trainer (Me playing) got an early flamer which even an overdive failed to deal with. Add that to the extra help getting a wound on the first pass (although he got a shot in and downed his foe with a boomer at the same time) and i was always in trouble. Stiil, at least my main character made it to the end, just, I'm glad to say. Well done the Eagles and I'm sad to have lost two of them

Once again, thanks to pete - a really good mission.

Uncle - I'd be grateful for a couple of Eagles replacements - I'll pm names shortly. Thanks in advance

Great take on the mission, Mike.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I always appreciate your versions of these AARs because yours are like HD
    A great win, albeit a costly one, for out Adler.
    REP has been dispatched - make sure your 'student' doesn't shoot it down ....

Well Mike, that was a wild ride to a loss and near disaster, at least your chaps made it home if not all in one piece !
    A well told & imaged tale, hopefully things will improve in the next outing.

Uncle says:

Well that didn't go to plan - we bagged a couple which is very good but the ones that got away had a precious cargo and I feel cost us the tie. Still you were up against it and you clearly did your best - we can ask for no more than that.
    We can at least celebrate the victories - number 7 for Dubh & number 2 for Charlie. Cheers

The Wargame Gods were not kind to the Eagle crews - handy that losses from two crews match the replacements though.
    New Eagles added in as per request

Ltn Wilhelm Kummetz (O) is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class for his service to the Kaiser
    Fwbl Robert Janzen (P2) is awarded pilots badge & the Iron Cross 2nd class for his service to the Kaiser
    Ltn Karl Niederhoff (P2) (POW) is awarded pilots badge & the Iron Cross 2nd class for his service to the Kaiser
    Ltn Johannes Mesch (O) is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class posthumously for his service to the Kaiser
    Last edited by flash; 06-19-2020 at 01:34.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Well that was a real mix up Mike. Roland's coming from everywhere & you just could not get your rookie into the action!
    At least you bagged a couple of the buggers & all your chaps got home safely.
    Glad Dubh only got a singed flying suit!
    Great scenery, story & photos as usual.
    Some Rep is winging it way to you right now.

Thanks chaps - I guess the singing and rowdy behaviour from the Adler mess, celebrating their gongs, will be heard all over Belgium and France tonight Still, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - drinks are on them

Many thanks Uncle, for sorting the replacements

RIP Ltn Johannes Mesch Iron Cross 2nd Class

Mike just stop with the great scenics and photos and concentrate on loosing .
    Rep incoming .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

and concentrate on loosing
    Doing my best Paul

Lovely looking table, I do like to see it even though I don't wish to move planes over it and have to shift things out of the way, but every time I look at your scenery I think "well maybe it wouldn't be so bad"
    You're an inspiration to us all.

Great story line, shame about your rookie, send him off on his own next time and if he comes back - keep him, if not get another one.

Thanks John - good to hear from you again. Hope you are keeping well

We're good thanks. Spent 2 of the last 4 weeks down in your neck of the woods.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 13:05
  2. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting Flash Will Go - 27 July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 11:12
  3. BRF OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Stumptonian
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 11:02
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-13-2020, 15:33
  5. AAR OTT DYM-Mission 4-27th Jan. 1916- Some Mothers do 'ave 'em!--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-23-2019, 16:33