Ares Games
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Spad VII View Post
    It's in Euro : 6412,88 Euros = 7534,14 US Dollars
    What? ^^
    I mean, I spent around 2.000 € on the game for sure, but Jesus...

Quote Originally Posted by Spad VII View Post
    Fortunately you can make a 12 month payement and delevery is free
    For that price, the item has to be delivered by a Fokker Dr.I, several flights included...

I spent 2.000 € on this game I'm playing solo...

will have to see if my paltry bid will get me a V deck?????

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Someone just paid £10.50 for a 'Y' deck......
    Just the deck, nothing else!

Ares, you're missing out of a shedload of moolah!
    More than a fair bit of my collection came from third parties. I would say Ares lost a fortune just from people on this site having to go elsewhere.

They could just use Drivethru cards or some other outlet and license a print and play. I would buy several decks. Or maybe a box set of one of each deck. I would buy 10.

I would like to see Ares make a Modeler's Airplane Pack... just the unpainted model. Assembled or unassembled... primed or unprimed. Basically - just like Shapeways. Package 2 or 3 of them together and price it to make some profit. Include a maneuver deck, stand, pegs and a generic plane card. Lowers the Ares initial investment and serves an untapped market. It's the Amazon Basics sales model... identify what is selling and offer your own version to usurp that revenue stream.

I spend thousands on acquiring ARES models from the secondary market, one for my collection and the rest just for repainting purposes. On any given day I can see thousands of ARES planes for sale on eBay. There are even hundreds listed on Amazon. If they weren't selling, they would slowly dry up to a small volume of listings.

Still seeing Fokker D.VII's going for $50 to $150 in the US. Looks like a revenue stream to me and definitely feels like one to my wallet.

Random musings of a capitalist.

The secondary market is nuts! They really need to do a reprint of some of the planes. But, I think there has been a lot of that talk recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    More than a fair bit of my collection came from third parties. I would say Ares lost a fortune just from people on this site having to go elsewhere.

same here. i wouldve loved to give ares the money for those that came from the secondary market, happily and gleefully as i love this game. but, alas i had no option to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    I would like to see Ares make a Modeler's Airplane Pack... just the unpainted model. Assembled or unassembled... primed or unprimed. Basically - just like Shapeways. Package 2 or 3 of them together and price it to make some profit. Include a maneuver deck, stand, pegs and a generic plane card. Lowers the Ares initial investment and serves an untapped market. It's the Amazon Basics sales model... identify what is selling and offer your own version to usurp that revenue stream.

I spend thousands on acquiring ARES models from the secondary market, one for my collection and the rest just for repainting purposes. On any given day I can see thousands of ARES planes for sale on eBay. There are even hundreds listed on Amazon. If they weren't selling, they would slowly dry up to a small volume of listings.

Still seeing Fokker D.VII's going for $50 to $150 in the US. Looks like a revenue stream to me and definitely feels like one to my wallet.

Your first point is a great idea, but I'm afraid "business" end of Ares is........ahhhhh.........lacking? (That is a very mild version of what I REALLY wanted to say.......)

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post

High(er) quality high(er) price pre-built limited editions for collectors could also be a business idea. In the area of 1/43 model cars there are companies providing wonderful models at modestly insane :-) prices. Would this really be no option for airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    High(er) quality high(er) price pre-built limited editions for collectors could also be a business idea. In the area of 1/43 model cars there are companies providing wonderful models at modestly insane :-) prices. Would this really be no option for airplanes?
    Well according to Roberto at Ares defects we've recently seen are almost impossible to avoid, no matters the level of QC they try to implement because the factory workers are not expert modelers and are the models are tiny with a much higher part number...
    So you can probably forget high(er) quality models !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post539214

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well according to Roberto at Ares defects we've recently seen are almost impossible to avoid, no matters the level of QC they try to implement because the factory workers are not expert modelers and are the models are tiny with a much higher part number...
    Sure. This may be acceptable for the standard 15$ product line. I'm thinking more of a luxury collector line produced by trained staff in Europe. Something like https://www.bbrmodelstore.com/Englis...BBR-BUILT.aspx (sorry for off-topicness)

One one note, with the not so great quality plane I do not using it and i do not worry about damage from using it. If I had a collectors pieces I would never use it in fear of damaging it. It would sit on the crowded shelf with my other pricey pretties.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    One one note, with the not so great quality plane I do not using it and i do not worry about damage from using it. If I had a collectors pieces I would never use it in fear of damaging it. It would sit on the crowded shelf with my other pricey pretties.
    Oh, come on #careandloveforeverymodel

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hm, isn't this is just a lame excuse? The quality of earlier planes were much better... or is today the norm and those earlier ones were positive outliers? They pretty much cost the same for us buyers, or am I wrong?

I know nothing about manufacturing of small models. What I see lately from Ares is the disparity in quality between current Wings of Glory models and previous Wings of War/Glory and Battlestar Galactica models. It is very different, and not for the better.

The only thing I can say, from what I understand, is profit margins are driving this. I would suspect that the niche aspect of Wings of War/Glory is the limiting factor. The people who play the game are very passionate, but such a small market group. Games based on science fiction seem to be much more popular, and the quantity of models produced for those games is much higher, therefore at a lower run cost. This allows for higher quality and better production values.

There are lots of things Ares could do with this game, it only takes money. Unfortunately, Ares isn't able to tap into the secondary market to generate that cash where it is needed, at the production end.

To my knowledge, Ares hasn't been able to separate the production of individual planes, and therefore are can only produce sets of four. Not knowing in advance what would sell, they bundled planes that aren't selling equally well. I still don't get why, in a game, Fokker D.VIIs and Sopwith Snipes don't sell equally well. They are reasonably matched planes, and period in opponents. What do I know?

So, we have a lot of issues plaguing our game and the company that produces it. I suspect none of us is happy. Until history becomes the new passion with gamers, we may be "between a rock and a person we want to hit with it."
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I still don't get why, in a game, Fokker D.VIIs and Sopwith Snipes don't sell equally well. They are reasonably matched planes, and period in opponents. What do I know?
    My personal belief is the historical usage;

Snipes only saw combat in the last 48 days of WW1, and the first couple of weeks of that may have been on-the-job training. Only 4 Squadrons used it, 2 of those being Australian.

The Fokker D.VII ended the War being present in around 60% of Jastas, quite a few of which were pretty much exclusively equipped with it. It saw around 5.5 months of service; this makes it essential, whereas the Snipe is a scarce novelty in comparison.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    ......we may be "between a rock and a person we want to hit with it."
    That's fantastic!

Swiped and stored for future personal usage!

Have to wonder if they could break up those original 4-plane molds.

D.VII vs SE.5a would be a 'keeper' for sure.

Or go the 'squadron pack' route and not pair them at all.
    The real 'klunkers' seem to always be the two-seaters.

By the time they get around to reprinting the balloons, everyone will have gone to alternate sources.

They have enough history to know what sells, but don't seem to utilize it.

I don't see why they couldn't just do a run of one plane. A run of Fokker DVII and produce 8 different paint schemes or something. I would assume each plane has its own mold.

ive aired this idea before but ill repeat it here as i think it would be profitable for ares. in addition to the 2 duel packs we already have, id have a constant rotation with one of these 4 always in production with occasional paint scheme changes; "early war"-airco dh2 vs halberstadt dIII. the 2 we already have, and "late war" fokker DVII vs se5a. i think this would keep a constant stream of iconic and desirable aircraft for new players and, with the new paint schemes, for veteran players as well.

ive also changed my mind from ares position of not producing maneuver decks alone so as not to cut into possible profits from minis sales, to producing them freely. to be blunt, you cant cut into profits youre not making from non existent minis. the production schedule is so infrequent, however necessarily, and the demand for new aircraft so high, i dont see selling decks ever cutting into the demand for new minis whenever they appear. furthermore, it would be a cheaper alternative to keep a revenue stream going from modelers and mini repurposers that would give players clamoring for product spending money on ares products. it would seem to be a win-win scenario to me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Oh, come on #careandloveforeverymodel

Hm, isn't this is just a lame excuse? The quality of earlier planes were much better... or is today the norm and those earlier ones were positive outliers? They pretty much cost the same for us buyers, or am I wrong?
    Sadly, decline in quality seems to be across the toys-and-games spectrum... you should hear Geewunners whining on Transformers boards about the same thing. "Hollow spaces! Bad paint! Yellow vs blue eyes on Optimus Prime!"
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I don't see why they couldn't just do a run of one plane. A run of Fokker DVII and produce 8 different paint schemes or something. I would assume each plane has its own mold.
    The original sculpts were gang-molded one of each plane to the sprue; Ares talked about changing that in the retool so they could run individual planes as market demanded, but right now the Miniatures portfolio isn't seen as a high priority; the company appears to have been captured by One Hit Wonder boardgames.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The original sculpts were gang-molded one of each plane to the sprue; Ares talked about changing that in the retool so they could run individual planes as market demanded, but right now the Miniatures portfolio isn't seen as a high priority; the company appears to have been captured by One Hit Wonder boardgames.
    That explains it. Bad decision on the mold. I have worked in manufacturing for a long time and we very rarely put different sculpts into one mold. We usually make a mold of multiples of the same sculpt. That way, you can produce only what is in demand and not get stuck with a bunch of stock. I guess the game and toy business is different in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Sadly, decline in quality seems to be across the toys-and-games spectrum... you should hear Geewunners whining on Transformers boards about the same thing. "Hollow spaces! Bad paint! Yellow vs blue eyes on Optimus Prime!"
    Oh goodness yes....I have read some of those boards. Whoa, there is some serious angst in the toy world right now. The cost to make and ship overseas is (and has been before covid) getting expensive now, and everyone is trying to cut costs.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

There is, in my opinion, a really good Starter Deal in eBay Germany:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/174498036972

The Rules Box + both Duel Sets + two extra Planes (rare ones) for 70 Euro...

This week I saw a Heinkel He.111 go to about £80 on eBay (France, I think). I participated in the bidding but this ending price was above my budget.

Anyone know how often these Heinkels show up on the secondary market?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfgard View Post
    There is, in my opinion, a really good Starter Deal in eBay Germany:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/174498036972

The Rules Box + both Duel Sets + two extra Planes (rare ones) for 70 Euro...
    That is a great deal. Say plus another 10 Euros to post, great for a beginner or anyone else come to think of it

Alfgard, that is a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by bartdevuyst View Post
    This week I saw a Heinkel He.111 go to about £80 on eBay (France, I think). I participated in the bidding but this ending price was above my budget.

I have seen them, but I have not paid much attention. I will keep an eye out.

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Now I made an offer for 60,00 Euro...lets see...have a litte
    guilty conscience..I think minimun 100 would be ok.

If I get them I would keep them for new players who claim an interest in the forum.

But that shows how low the interest in the game is in germany....I think if this would be "global" or "US" offer it would easyl reach the 100,00.

Lets see.

P.S. The Ares Upcoming Site anoucess the "rules set" and the "duel packs" reprints for February...perhaps it is a new starts...and if the selling is good whe se more.

We hope to see some new rule sets and dual packs in February. Lets see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by bartdevuyst View Post

ebay uk

He-111H-3 (Battle of Britain) £83 - 29th October 2020
    He-111H-3 (Battle of Britain) £91.67 - 4th October
    He-111H-3 and H-5 (one of each) £113.57 - 1st October

none listed in September

Usually none or one per month; October was freakishly busy with them (3).

This week I saw a Heinkel He.111 go to about £80 on eBay (France, I think).
    Not guilty

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

This nearly fits here. Seen a lot of "ships" stuff on Ebay for those interested

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    This nearly fits here. Seen a lot of "ships" stuff on Ebay for those interested
    DEFINITELY not me!!!!!! (NO SAILS!!!!)

Tim, you didn't even cross my mind as an interested party. Nor me, but there wasn't a separate area to put it in but someone, somewhere on here, might be Anyway, back to the skies

Dan: thanks so much for posting these. 4 haven't been up 1 day and are all $65 or better.
    Thank gawd for shapeways.

Brak Morn, you are welcome. Happy to share.

Here is an interesting one. Somebody is listing a shapeways painted Felixstowe. I may have to bid on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-144-Paint...wAAOSwcbpfs48k

too rich for me plus postage

Yeah, the international postage is brutal right now.

you want to see the postage from France - ludicrous

Yeah, the international postage is brutal right now.
    Both the prices, AND the treatment of the parcels by the Posties!

Geez... don't get me started on the handling of postage right now. I have yet to get a box that wasn't crushed or trashed in some way in the past couple of months. I feel your pain!!!!

There is a reason UPS is often facetiously referred to as "United Package Smashers"

And of course, the USPS has its own set of references: the Post Awful, the Post Offal, or my own invention the Post Orifice.

That Felixstowe is very nice indeed, wouldnt want to have to repair it on arrival though...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

EEK! Yea, that is a good point!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    There is a reason UPS is often facetiously referred to as "United Package Smashers"

And of course, the USPS has its own set of references: the Post Awful, the Post Offal, or my own invention the Post Orifice.

i just call them the "united states postal disservice"

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i just call them the "united states postal disservice"
    Newman's Own!

I especially love it when my packaged has black marks on it like it either got ran over, or got stuck in a conveyor belt. Usually something fragile.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. eBay WW2 planes on ebay
    By pflanzer in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2019, 17:25
  2. A few planes on ebay for good prices in UK
    By Popsical in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-28-2018, 13:12
  3. Several Hard To Get Planes Pending on Ebay
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds