Ares Games

Thread: rfc/raf / luftskraftekreite pilot ranks

Default rfc/raf / luftskraftekreite pilot ranks

Started filling in my list of pilots/observers and have spent a while searching for this information relating to the ranks and not having much luck. For the FRC I've got Lieutenant for pilots. Where does (apologies to our beloved F/O Kyte, may his guns never jam) but where does Flying Officer fit in? For the Germans, I've had no luck at all finding a rank for their pilots. Any assistance gratefully accepted

The RFC started with army ranks Iain - Most RFC pilots started their career as 2nd lieutenants, some as sergeants from the ranks.
    You could have a major as your sqn commander, captains as your flight leaders, Lt's & 2Lt's making up the rest with maybe a sgt or F/sgt in there for colour.
    The term "flying officer" was originally used in the Royal Flying Corps as a flying appointment for junior officers, not a rank.
    (eg an Lt observer may be a flying officer)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying...or%20resources.

The 1918-1919 NCO ranks were: Warrant Officer Class I, Warrant Officer Class II, Flight Sergeant, Sergeant, Corporal, Air Mechanic 1st Class. Air Mechanics 2nd and 3rd Class were the equivalents of Army Privates. In 1919, AM 3rd Class was abolished and a new rank of Leading Aircraftman was introduced above AM 1st Class.
    Other ranks like AM's acted as gunner's/observers.

As for the Germans - mostly the same - many a Leutnant & Oberleutnant (2Lt/Lt) commanded squadrons. MvR was only a captain & commanded four !
    Last edited by flash; 06-12-2020 at 08:04.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

German Rank system for 'flyers'

Officers

Hauptmann (Hptm) - Captain

Rittmeister (Rittm) - Cavalry Captain

Oberleutnant (Obltn) - 1st Lieutenant

Leutnant (Ltn) - 2nd Lieutenant

Fähnrich (Fhn) - Ensign/Cadet

NCOs

Feldwebel-Leutnant (Fwltn) - Sergeant-Major Lieutenant (wartime only)

Offizierstellvertreter (Offstv) - (Warrant Officer)

Feldwebel (Fw) - Sergeant-Major

Vizefeldwebel (Vzfw/Vfw) - Sergeant 1st class (vice Sergeant-Major)

Sergeant (Sgt) - Sergeant

Unteroffizer (Uffz) - Corporal

Gefreiter (Gefr) - Lance Corporal

Flieger (Flg) - Private (flyer in army air service)

Pionier (Pion) - Private (pioneer in Bavarian Flying Corps)

German Jastas were much smaller establishments than RFC Squadrons, so there was no need for a higher rank such as a Major to command one - often, almost all of the pilots were Leutnants, sometimes all Reservists.

A further distinction was sometimes made between career Officers and Reservists - many German pilots are listed as "Leutnant de Reserve" to differentiate them (but, annoyingly, not consistently!).
    A more experienced Leutnant de Reserve could be overlooked for command, and subordinated to a less experienced Regular Officer: - this is how Hermann Goering got command of JagdGeschwader I over the heads of other, more capable and more experienced officers; he was a Regular, and the High Command didn't want a Reservist leading the unit!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

thanks for the information people.

German two-seaters were commanded by the observer, so, the pilot might be an N.C.O. with an officer as the observer.

Similar Missions

1. South England Rookie in the ranks
    By DaiBry in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 16:05
  2. Ranks
    By Doug in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 20:04
  3. German ranks
    By grumpybear in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7