Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by a very late Vagabond

Default OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 by a very late Vagabond

After nearly an hour in the air I could see the cliffs of France which cheered me up no end I can tell you, I didn’t like these long open sea crossings, the planes we were flying were new to us and reliability was an unknown factor in those days. A forced landing on to Mother Earth was bad enough but ditching in the realms of Father Neptune was infinitely worse.
    I was leading our section of C Flight back to France, and coming in quite low as ordered. There were three of us in the section, myself, Lt John Vagabond leading Liam O’Flynn and Bouncer Berry back into the fray, the rest of the flight was following a little way behind but I’d not seen them since we took off.
    You may not remember Flynn and Berry but we joined the Squadron together on the same day, not an auspicious one I’m the first to admit. On landing Berry wrote off his plane, I ended up at the wrong end of the field and O’Flynn almost lost his plane and probably his life when a violent manoeuvre helped gravity shut down the fuel to his engine and only a bit of inspired flying or as he likes to say “the luck of the Irish” helped out and he made it down safely.

You may be wondering why our flight is so late joining the Squadron, well to cut a long story short we had been in quarantine – no not confined in choky, really quarantine. We’d had our 2 weeks of leave and caroused through all the bars in London, then taken up our post somewhere in the wilds of Norfolk, training new boobs to fly, or at least not crash every time they went up, but then some strange virus hit the station and no one knew what to do with it. The best scientific bods said to wash your hands, how that cures a virus I’ve no idea but then some bright spark decided if he washed his stomach, that would wash out the bugs. He spent 3 days in the hospital and farted bubbles every now and then but he didn’t get the virus. I’m still not sure what that means.

Anyway we are back to France, well very nearly.

The best part of it is that we are still attached the RNAS and have been tasked with ferrying some of the new scout planes they have bought from the French. Nieuport 11’s and they are a strikingly beautiful plane compared to our strange Pusher types, the French call them Bebe, I’m not sure if that’s because they are small, like a child or Bebe because they are like a beautiful woman, I prefer the latter although Berry thinks it’s the former but I think he should get out more.

I had been very lucky and was flying a very nicely painted blue Bebe and even better it’s designation was V, this must be my plane, even though it was destined to go to some chap called Savory but he could have it later.

As we were getting close to the coast I saw some black specks over to our left, for a moment I was undecided on the best course of action, we were making a delivery trip, we were unfamiliar with the Bebe and so the sensible course of action would be to avoid them, especially as there appeared to be four enemy and only three of us. Our destination was to the south west and so away from them, so many points in favour of avoiding a fight.

What the hell, I didn’t join the RFC to be sensible and so I waggled my wings, pointed to my left. We all turned towards trouble.

Trouble turned towards us.

This view gave me some encouragement, they had at least one inexperienced pilot, he continued to turn and nearly flew into the plane that looked like the leader. Maybe this would turn out better than I expected.

The die was cast as they say and we flew straight at each other. We knew that honour forbade turning away from your enemy but I was hoping the enemy took a more pragmatic view.

Opening up at quite long range, my lack of recent combat experience showed as I completely missed the cameo Fokker I was facing, luckily he was no better and missed me but I could see that Berry in the camouflaged Nieuport was taking a lot of damage from his opponent a rather nattily painted blue striped Fokker EIII.

The range closed and damage became greater, O’Flynn’s plane burst into flames as did the grey Fokker he faced. I had passed my opponent and was preparing to do an Immelmann turn and follow him through.

It’s a shame, he was as canny as I was, and Immeled as well, we were both firing like blazers at close range until his gun obviously jammed and his fire ceased, he must have hit an oil line on my plane or maybe something else because plumes of black smoke started to broil from the engine area and my first thought was, NOT THE SEA. Why didn't my parents teach me to swim was the only thought flashing through my mind.

Over my shoulder I was peripherally aware that the CDL Fokker was on Berry’s tail and blowing lumps off his plane. I believe these Nieuport's are considered to be quite fragile aircraft but we had yet to find out how fragile.

However as you can see I had my hands too full to worry about Berry's plane as I was trying to avoid the cameo Fokker coming straight at me just as much as I was trying to blow him out of the sky, a tricky situation.

Nothing to do with the story but this shows the fire damage caused at the start of the next turn.

The CDL Fokker over on the left fired a long burst into Berry and Berry’s plane starts a long glide seawards. By sheer good luck I was in position to pour fire into the EIII in front of me although I’d no idea where he had come from. O Flynn was trying to put out the fire on his plane by slipping left and right and nearly flew into the German plane in front of him.

It was total chaos and not going at all well for us.

Continuing his fire eliminating moves, O’Flynn jinked left, straight in front of the CDL Fokker who had just shot down Berry, he was either very good or very lucky but I saw O’Flynn’s plane erupt in a ball of flame. Exploding in the air, the only saving grace was that it had happened over the cliffs of France and he might not drown. Of course going down in a ball of flame he might have welcomed the embrace of the sea.

The dog fight had spread the planes over quite a large area and I can see that both my friends and fellow flight members are shot down and I am free from the attentions of my four opponents and so I decide to run. This left a pretty empty feeling in the pit of my stomach but there was no use throwing my life away on a lost cause, that sort of gallantry is only for the story books.

The drama was not over though, as the pilot of the grey EIII was still on fire and in his efforts to put this out he was flying directly into the path of the cameo Fokker.

Which way is he going to go? You can almost see the speech bubble over the pilot of the cameo Fokker. The one with the big exclamation mark at the end of it.

Pheew it’s flown in front, you can see the sigh of relief writ large even from here.

Until he turns in front of the cameo Fokker and they collide. The collision causes so much damage to the grey Fokker that it falls from the air into the sea, the cameo one takes a lot of damage ignore the special damage.

As that was the last move I seem to have forgotten to transfer the damage tokens to the plane boards. Dohh.

A last shot of me as I escaped from the debacle of the delivery trip.

The rest of C flight was not far behind and in other circumstances might have arrived in time to continue the fight but having seen 2 planes go down and me do a runner they decided it was better to deliver the 3 planes they had been ordered to, rather than risk loosing them as well.

We were unlucky, we seem to have come upon a crack flight of German pilots before we were fully proficient flying the Bebe’s and as the Bebe is supposed to outclass the Fokker EIII I’m going to have some explaining to do.

Maybe we will prove the worth of the Bebe next time.

Or maybe not
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 P1440750.jpg   002.JPG   003 P1440752.jpg   004 P1440754.jpg   005 P1440755.jpg  

006 P1440757.jpg   007 P1440758.jpg   008 P1440759.jpg   009 P1440761.jpg   010 P1440764.jpg  

011 P1440762.jpg   012 P1440765.jpg   013 P1440766.jpg   014 P1440768.jpg   015 P1440769.jpg  

016 P1440771.jpg   017 P1440772.jpg   018 P1440773.jpg   019 P1440774.jpg   020 P1440775.jpg  

021 P1440776.jpg  

Butchers Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	288527
    Lt John Vagabond = RTB - No Kills

Name:	026.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	288528
    F/Sgt Wilfred “Bouncer” Berry = SD (SEA) – No Kills

C & W = Rolled 8 = -1 SD, -1SEA. = 6 Injured skip 1D3 scenarios rolled 2 = skip 1 scenario.
    E & E = Rolled 6 = -1 WIC, -1 BEL, -1 SEA = 3 Captured and Escaped Skip 1D3 Scenarios – Rolled 3 skip 2 scenarios.

Bouncer Berry hit the sea at a very shallow angle and lived up to his reputation when landing on solid earth by bouncing like a skipping stone across the surface of the sea before gravity and friction finally brought his plane to a halt. The good news is that he had managed to unfasten his safety belt (did they have them) and was able to climb onto the wing before throwing off his flying jacket and sinking into the water alongside his plane. When I spoke to him later he said the scariest thing was that he couldn’t undo the buckle on his left flying boot and nearly drowned. Since then he’s cut the buckles off the boots, they keep slipping down but he thinks the alternative is far worse. The story of his capture and subsequent escape would take a small book to cover so I’ll leave that for the future.

Name:	027.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	288529
    F/Sgt Liam O’Flynn = SD (EXP) – 1 Kill (Hubrich)

C & W = Rolled 5 = -3 EXP. = 2 Dead. RIP.

Tales of O’Flynn’s exploits and love affairs with the French ladies abound, and his sad but very handsome and quiet Irish humour will be missed in the Mess. During his time with the Squadron he had been shot down twice and wounded on both occasions, whilst he was a talented flyer his deflection shooting left a lot to be desired and this was the first mission in which he had downed an enemy plane.
    At least he went out having given as good as he got.

Dave having re-read my combat report you might want to change this result as I shot at Hubrich after O’Flynn and the collision with another EIII was the final straw but the fire caused by O’Flynn was within 1 point of sending him down when the collision occurred and there was a further round of fire damage to come.

RIP F/Sgt Liam O’Flynn.

Name:	028 P1440780.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	288530
    Ltn Walter Hubrich = COL in FLM – No Kills There was a further 6 pts of damage from the collision. The black edged counters are the fire damage.

C & W = Rolled 10 = -2 COL, -1SEA. = 7 Injured Skip 1D2 Scenarios – Rolled 2 skip 1 scenario.

Name:	029 P1440781.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	288531
    ObLtn Josef Schneidewind = RTB – 2 Kills Berry and O’Flynn

Name:	030 P1440782.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	288532
    Ltn Hans Khun – RTB – No Kills

Ltn Otto Dehmish – RTB – No Kills There should have been an additional 4 pts of damage from the collision.

Well I seemed to have screwed up the Butchers Bill a bit by omitting the collision damage and maybe allocating the Hubrich kill mistakenly. C’est la gurre.

Well I seem to have the same problem as the last time I posted pictures in so much as it is duplicating them.

I paste the text into the report and then insert a picture in the right place using the Inset image button, Click From the Computer - Choose a file and then Upload a file, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

The Butchers Bill I pasted the text the same as before and posted it, then went back and added the pictures in the same way as the previous post and it's not duplicated them!!

Great to have you back, Johnny me lad!

I was starting think you were stuck in quarantine (or in some Spanish jail cell)

A most interesting introduction to the Cocky Young Men campaign. (and your boys definitely fit the description)
    Too bad about O'Flynn - I will have to have a Guinness (or Jameson) in his memory.

Keith has not been able to figure out why some of us have the duplicating photo problem; you're not alone in that.

Good to see you back John !
    Superb setting, witty prose and I like your new paint job but what a disastrous start to the campaign for your Bulldogs ! Hopefully things will only get better from now on.

Uncle says:

Well this is a bit of a rum do ! What a way to start the next tour, one for an early bath and another gone west. We'll have to buck our ideas up if that's the calibre of the Hun round here. At least one of 'em was splashed.

Dave having re-read my combat report you might want to change this result as I shot at Hubrich after O’Flynn and the collision with another EIII was the final straw but the fire caused by O’Flynn was within 1 point of sending him down when the collision occurred and there was a further round of fire damage to come.
    Technically neither of you downed him as he was taken out by collision with one of his own, however, because you'd shot him last, even if the fire reached it's conclusion and taken him out you'd be able to claim it, so I leave the final decision to you.
    You can bag it yourself, attribute it to O'Flynn, or, leave it to accidental collision. Let me know which way you want it & I will make it so.
    As you didn't do an E&E for Hubrich I take it he was over friendly seas ?

ObLtn Josef Schneidewind awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class for his victories to date.
    By example he leads.
    Last edited by flash; 06-11-2020 at 12:14.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great story as usual. Unusual and dramatic setting. Glad no one drowned. Only poor Liam crashed on land and look what good that did him.

Fully approve the paint scheme choice for the Nieuport. Savory can go find another blue plane.

Thumbs up

Great to welcome you back to the Front John.
    Just wish it had gone better for your chaps.
    Great story telling & drama as usual so have some Rep to celebrate your return.
    R.I P. Mr O'Flynn. Here's a Jamiesons in his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great to have you back, Johnny me lad!

I was starting think you were stuck in quarantine (or in some Spanish jail cell)

A most interesting introduction to the Cocky Young Men campaign. (and your boys definitely fit the description)
    Too bad about O'Flynn - I will have to have a Guinness (or Jameson) in his memory.

Keith has not been able to figure out why some of us have the duplicating photo problem; you're not alone in that.
    Hi Pete
    We made it out of Spain on the day they declared a National Emergency, almost the only vehicles on the roads were Camper Vans heading to France.

I've been watching a most excellent program on TV called Stumptown and Mrs V looked it up to see why and where, I couldn't understand her lack of enthusiasm when I told her "that must be where Pete lives" when she found out you were my flying buddy she was even less interested. Can't understand it myself.

I was very upset about loosing O'Flynn, all last year I had a tremendous run of luck with my Bulldogs only 1 RIP, the Germans went down like nine pins so I hope it's not changed for the worse. I've played the second game and for a while it looked like another complete disaster for me but just turned into a disaster. I've not rolled the dice yet!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Good to see you back John !
    Superb setting, witty prose and I like your new paint job but what a disastrous start to the campaign for your Bulldogs ! Hopefully things will only get better from now on.

Uncle says:

Well this is a bit of a rum do ! What a way to start the next tour, one for an early bath and another gone west. We'll have to buck our ideas up if that's the calibre of the Hun round here. At least one of 'em was splashed.

Technically neither of you downed him as he was taken out by collision with one of his own, however, because you'd shot him last, even if the fire reached it's conclusion and taken him out you'd be able to claim it, so I leave the final decision to you.
    You can bag it yourself, attribute it to O'Flynn, or, leave it to accidental collision. Let me know which way you want it & I will make it so.
    As you didn't do an E&E for Hubrich I take it he was over friendly seas ?

ObLtn Josef Schneidewind awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class for his victories to date.
    By example he leads.
    Hi Dave
    If it's OK with you I'd like the kill to go to O'Flynn Posthumously. Yes for Hubrich I made it a friendly sea.

The 2nd game didn't go particularly well either.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Great story as usual. Unusual and dramatic setting. Glad no one drowned. Only poor Liam crashed on land and look what good that did him.

Fully approve the paint scheme choice for the Nieuport. Savory can go find another blue plane.
    Cheers, I was going to go for a colour scheme for 'my' plane and seeing what you had done clinched the deal. I had a Savory card from the files and I liked that a lot, I was a bit unsure about the lines along the edge of the fuselage knowing from experience that almost no one can do straight lines, I would have likes a decal but didn't have one. I did buy some masking tape to do the job but my fingers are too big so went with a paint brush. It's better than I expected but not as good as I'd like, a bit like life in general I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great to welcome you back to the Front John.
    Just wish it had gone better for your chaps.
    Great story telling & drama as usual so have some Rep to celebrate your return.
    R.I P. Mr O'Flynn. Here's a Jamiesons in his memory.
    Ahh, it's hard to beat a Jamiesons apart from the less peaty Islay malts, we'll both drink a toast to his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Dave
    If it's OK with you I'd like the kill to go to O'Flynn Posthumously. Yes for Hubrich I made it a friendly sea.

The 2nd game didn't go particularly well either.
    Done and done !

..I was a bit unsure about the lines along the edge of the fuselage knowing from experience that almost no one can do straight lines..
    Try a Sharpie or similar John.

Hi Pete

I've been watching a most excellent program on TV called Stumptown and Mrs V looked it up to see why and where, I couldn't understand her lack of enthusiasm when I told her "that must be where Pete lives"
    SWMBO and I have been enjoying Stumptown (and it has been renewed for another season)
    Although there are a few shots of Portland taken for 'feel' between scenes, it's filmed in Los Angeles.

Me and mine too !

Great to have you back John. I assume the quarantine may have been a personal experience so am concerned that you may still be farting bubbles. No of course not, it wasn't you that swallowed any kind of concoction, to deal with the virus, now was it

Love your scenery. I've been meaning to get around to creating something similar, based on the coast of Kent, for WW2 games. Very effective and the colour effects are brilliant.

The story line is of your usual wonderful standard, but I must say I'm very sad to witness the demise of F/Sgt Liam O’Flynn (He always reminded me of a couple of my own characters from the past - remarkable likeness).

A trifling disaster to the start of the campaign, but with a little practice I'm positive that the very tasty bebe will do you proud in the future.

REP inbound buddy

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Try a Sharpie or similar John.
    I did think about that, but because it's on the corner of a square edge I didn't think I could do it. Maybe if I used the edge of the tip rather than the tip itself maybe that would have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Great to have you back John. I assume the quarantine may have been a personal experience so am concerned that you may still be farting bubbles. No of course not, it wasn't you that swallowed any kind of concoction, to deal with the virus, now was it

Love your scenery. I've been meaning to get around to creating something similar, based on the coast of Kent, for WW2 games. Very effective and the colour effects are brilliant.

The story line is of your usual wonderful standard, but I must say I'm very sad to witness the demise of F/Sgt Liam O’Flynn (He always reminded me of a couple of my own characters from the past - remarkable likeness).

A trifling disaster to the start of the campaign, but with a little practice I'm positive that the very tasty bebe will do you proud in the future.

REP inbound buddy
    Cheers Mike, I built the scenery for Sails about 2 months ago but have still not played a game with it so this was the ideal opportunity to at least get it on the table and it then led the story line in a certain direction.

I should also say that the cliffs are a poor imitation of a work of art by a certain Captain Bligh who you may know as C.O. Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 1 - Back to Front - July 5th 1916 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2020, 06:14
  2. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 12:31
  3. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back To Front - July 5th 1916 - teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11