Ares Games

Thread: Ares "the blitz" scenario clarification

Default Ares "the blitz" scenario clarification

Maybe it's because I am not a native english speaker or because I have too many ignition failures in my brain.
    Even after reading again and again "The Blitz" in ares BoB scenario book I fail to grasp how the components are set up.

some examples..

left side = luftwaffe side?, right side = RAF side?
    "anywhere along the Luftwaffe side" means: (left) edge of the gaming surface or inside the left half of the gaming surface?

"one target at one and a half ruler of distance from the left side and one and a half ruler of distance from the RAF side. ???? hmmm....would mean the gaming surface is 3 rulers long and the target is exactly in the middle???

I little picture as in "bombs over Dover" would save a thousand confusing words here...

Thanks for any clarification

I agree. It is confusing. This is how I think it works. There are two mats placed together along the 98cm edge to give a playing area as described.

Round 1: The Luftwaffe player positions his or her planes as described on a short edge (the Luftwaffe edge). The opposite short edge is the R.A.F. edge but the three Hurricanes start on a long edge. It is not clear whether it means on the Luftwaffe player's left or the R.A.F. player's left but I do not see that it matters as long as you are consistent in the remaining rounds.

Round 2: The Luftwaffe player sets their planes up near the centre of the mats as described, presumably facing towards the R.A.F. (short) edge. Positioning the targets is easy once you regard the left and right edges as the long edges. The R.A.F. planes start one and a half rulers from the R.A.F. (short) edge.

Round 3: The Luftwaffe planes start near the centre of the mat as described, presumably facing towards the Luftwaffe (short) edge. The R.A.F. planes start along the left (long) edge as described, presumably facing in a direction to pursue the German planes.

Thank you for asking the question because it drew my attention to the scenario booklet, which I did not know had been published.

That got lost in the translation.

I thought, initially, it would look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wingsofglory_BoB_Blitz_mapEx1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	288547

However, on reading the second and third rounds, I think you could set up the first round like this:

Name:	wingsofglory_BoB_Blitz_mapEx2A.jpg 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	288548

Note that I had to label this, even for my self, reading through all the rounds. The Force labels (RAF and Luft) are in the "center" of each side, and planes are set up from the edges, one and a half rulers from the center of the player's respective sides. So, the bombers are represented as starting on the Luftwaffe edge, three rulers apart, centered on the Luftwaffe players mat. The Bf.109s can start anywhere on the Luftwaffe side of the playing area, and the Hurricanes on either mat, just on the RAF Player's left side only, but not closer than one ruler from Luftwaffe planes. I put the planes in "historical" formations, a Schwarm and a Vic. This is not necessary, by the set-up, just something I would do in a historical game.

The targets on the Second Round I had to read through a few times, and messed up the map. The targets are, I think, set up from the RAF player's side, and measured from the RAF side and left, and the RAF side and right. Something like the below map (not measured with rulers, but approximated):

Name:	wingsofglory_BoB_Blitz_mapEx3.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	288549
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-11-2020 at 23:30.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Maybe it's because I am not a native english speaker or because I have too many ignition failures in my brain.
    Even after reading again and again "The Blitz" in ares BoB scenario book I fail to grasp how the components are set up...
    Not sure being a native English speaker helps that much Fabrizio - this is what I got from it:

There are four sides to the playing surface - Luftwaffe / RAF / Left / Right.
    I'd say Mike has the Luftwaffe first round set up right in his pic #1 - the 109's can be anywhere in the zone of course - and the RAF set up for the first round right in his pic #2, if setting up on the left from the RAF point of view at least one and a half rulers from the Luftwaffe.

For the second round the surviving bomber set up is the same as for round one but the fighters set up anywhere within 1 ruler of the bombers.
    The RAF targets are set one and a half rulers in from the RAF end and left and right sides; all aircraft set up within one and a half rulers from the RAF end, as Mike has shown in his pic #3.

For the third round (the run home) the Luftwaffe start at the RAF end of the table heading back to theirs, set up much like they were for round 2. Their reinforcement's, if any, set up anywhere at the Luftwaffe end, presumably to race in and cover the withdrawal of the survivors.
    The surviving RAF planes from round two are deployed anywhere along the whole left side of the table but must be no closer than a ruler distance from any Luftwaffe machine to cut off the escape.

Should make for an entertaining run of games.

"He is wise who watches"

Ahhh..Now it makes sense. Thank you very much for this enlightenment.

Similar Missions

1. "The Blitz" in Zirndorf
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2018, 16:37
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 13:22
  3. "The First Bomber Blitz" article in 'Britain at War'
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 07:33
  4. Ares Games "WW2 Wings of Glory" Contest on BGG site