Ares Games

Thread: D-DAY

Default D-DAY

A game played on June 6 2020, honouring the D-Day, the landing in Normandy.

1- A Republic P.47 Thunderbolt and a Spitfire Mk.IX (played by Absurdbanipal) must protect 4 landing crafts towards the beach (cards moved automatically every turn by their length. They can fire with A damage, resistance of 8).
    A Focke-Wulf FW.190D (played by Spad VII) and a Messerschmitt Bf.109K (played by Monse) must prevent the assault.
    Two antiaircraft guns are placed at each side of the beach.
    Historically, these two German planes appear in late 1944. So the Bf.109K is played producing CCC damage at close range instead of CCD.
    The two game mats are hand made. The coast one shows Dieppe harbour (mat used for a previous game August 1942 Dieppe landing).

2- The Spitfire and the Thunderbolt fly in close formation and fire at the FW.190 (8 damage points).

3- Spitfire (6 pts) and FW.190 (0 pt) collide.
    The AA guns delay their shoot and the AA tokens are moved (orange tokens on the picture)

4- Split-S for the Bf.109.
    Immelmann for the allied planes. The Spitfire (3 pts) misses its shoot on the FW.190 and is damaged by the AA gun.

5- After a few turn with no shooting but with altitude changes, the Spitfire (13 pts) at a higher altitude is destroyed by the Bf.109 (5 pts), despite the aiming high bonus.

6- The German planes fly in an opposite direction, in order to straff the landing crafts.
    Which target the Thunderbolt is going to choose ?

7- Difficult decision. The Thunderbolt go straight !
    The landing crafts are close to the beach.

8- The troops have landed (the troop cards remain in their position during two turns before being moved by their length. They don’t fire. Resistance of 5).
    FW.190 is at altitude 2 and Bf.109 at altitude 1.

9- Bf.109 eliminates a first troop card (6 pts).
    Thunderbolt slowly comes back.

10- FW.190 severely damages a craft (6 pts) but takes 4 points from two crafts.
    Bf.109 takes 1 point.

11- Both German planes miss their target and FW.190 is on fire.

12- Bf.109 destroys a craft but is eliminated by 5 damage points from the Thunderbolt and 6 points from the crafts.
    FW.190 takes 4 points by removing a fire token.

13- The following fire tokens eventually eliminate the FW.190D.

The landing on the beach is a success, despite the loss of the Spitfire, a craft and a troop.
    German planes should have attacked the LCV before they reach the beach, preventing the landing of troops, but the two allied planes were a big threat.
    Now, the invasion can start ...
    Last edited by monse; 06-12-2020 at 05:42.

Interesting scenario, Monse.
    Thanks for posting.

Is that a home made mat?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Interesting scenario, Monse.
    Is that a home made mat?
    Thank you Pete.
    Yes, the mats are hand made, as detailed at the end of comment #1 :
    The two game mats are hand made. The coast one shows Dieppe harbour (mat used for a previous game August 1942 Dieppe landing).

Really good Scenario , well done.

Very nice scenario! Nice mats

Nice scenario Monse. Look forward to the continuation of the invasion.

Tres bien joue Simon

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Red face

After the magnificent victory of Cédric on the landing of this June 6 revisited !

As there was a little time left, Simon (monse), Absurdbanipal (Cédric) and Bruno (Spad VII) decided to test an : Ace of Aces " 1944 "

Monse will pilot the Spitfire Mk.IX
    Absurdbanipal chooses the FW 190

And me (after Absurdbanipal whispered in my ear ) : " Take the P 51 please yourself " * I don't hesitate for more than 10 seconds ! ( Mustang P.51 is one of my favorite warbird)

1/ The game can start each plane is placed at the 2 corners and in the middle of the mat:

2/ The FW 190 and the P 51 have decided to face each other directly while the Spitfire from Monse placed a little further away arrives!

3/ 1st shots between the two devices and a "Boom" card for the Absurdbanipal F.W 190, no lucky for his first Ace of aces !

4/ We therefore decide to put him back into play immediately and he immediately faces monses who arrives with his Spitfire

5/ Ooops ...I left very quickly and I'm on the verge of getting out of the carpet !

6/ After an immelman succeeds, I get back in the direction of the game and avoid the final exit, monse and Absurdbanipal cross and the Spitfire also tries an immelman to come back in the back of the FW 190

7/ Simon's Spitfire descends Cédric's FW 190 !

8/ And in the end: Victory of the Mustang P.51 which faces the Spitfire will shoot it down !
    (he had few points left the FW 190 having already shot him)

It was an intense and joyful little moment by way of a beautiful conclusion of this nice playful day of June 6 ! Thanks guy's