Ares Games

Thread: WW2 House Rules WW2 AUTOPILOT FOR FIGHTERS - How do you use the charts?

Default WW2 House Rules WW2 AUTOPILOT FOR FIGHTERS - How do you use the charts?

Hi chaps

I have been away from the site for a while for various reasons (house move, work etc) and am just starting to get back into the WGS game, having bought some of the new Do17s. I thought I might try some solo games so I had a look around in the various house rules sections.

While browsing the site I found the links to the charts for the WW2 Autopilot for Fighters (and bombers) here:

http://littlewars.se/wow/index.html#2ndww2

http://littlewars.se/wow/BobAutopilotFighters.pdf

http://littlewars.se/wow/BobAutopilotBombers.pdf

These look interesting and would seem to be what I was looking for, but I can't seem to find any explanation how they work when it comes to selecting a manouvre.

1. Would I be correct in assuming that, as there seem to be six options for each sector of the clock, a 6 sided dice is used to determine which manouevre is used?

2. What does it mean when two or three manouevres are liked with a plus sign?

3. On the Bomber Autopilot chart what does it mean by Target or Home?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Max

Hi Max,

Nice find, thanks for asking this questions, I was also looking for auto pilot rules for bombers.

Here is how interpret the charts.

1. I would agree, a d6

2. The maneuvers after '+' define a whole sequence and have to be performed in next game turns. In those turns no dice roll needed, the dice selected a whole sequence.

3. It is the current destination the bomber is heading for. Before dropping the bombs it is a 'target' card, after bombing, on its way back, it will be 'home edge'

example:

bomber is set up at its home edge starting position, target far away at 10 oclock, no enemy on table
    reaction (4) applies = 2nd column, line 10, d6=1 --> turn left
    --> target at 11 oclock

enemy shows up far away, target still far away (at 11)
    reaction (4) applies = 2nd column, line 11, d6=5 --> 'turn in place' the bomber towards the target and move straight
    --> target at 12 oclock

enemy near at 6 oclock and shooting, target still far away (at 12)
    reaction (2) applies = 1st column, line 6, d6=6 --> roll again on the "target or home", line 12, d6=1 --> move straight
    --> target at 12 oclock, near within 1 ruler

enemy near at 6 oclock and shooting, target within 1 ruler (at 12)
    reaction (1) applies = no dice roll, just turn in place to correct bearing if needed

bombing
    From now on the new destination is 'home edge'

enemy near at 5 oclock and shooting, 'home edge' still far away (at 7)
    reaction (2) applies = 1st column, line 5, d6=5 --> roll again on the "target or home", line 7, d6=1 --> turn left

This rules looks really interesting, I will give them a try.
    It would be nice if somebody implemented an app,.. similar to the AI-app for fighters. (or I decide to learn Android programming :-)

Fabrizio

Similar Missions

1. House Rules
    By CappyTom in forum Polls
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-18-2020, 12:50
  2. Optional Rules for the Advanced Solo Charts
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 08:32
  3. My House Rules
    By rcboater in forum WGF: House Rules