Ares Games

Thread: introducing Flying Officer James Breech Missions 1 and 2 - simple reports

Default introducing Flying Officer James Breech Missions 1 and 2 - simple reports

Mission 1

Flying my Camel over the Front Line at about 5,000 ft to intercept a Fokker Dr. 1. Chased him round a bit trying to get on his tail (this is getting more difficult than I thought it would be) Swung in right to close onto his left when blow me, he turned left, straight into me. God awful racket and scraping sounds (C 0,0) and we flew apart, checked but no damage to my plane. Managed a quick shot as he flew past me, put a few holes in his rudder (1, + NLT) By the time I'd managed to try and get back on his tail, the blighter had flow off. Must have done more damage than I thought.

F/O Breech RTB / no kills.

Unknown German pilot RTB / no kills

Mission 2

Just crossed back over the Front Line and parted company with the R.E.8 after a photo recon of German troop movements. A uneventful mission, light flak, time for home and tea. Coming towards me from our side of the lines I saw a Fokker Dr. 1 (concentrate. you have to be alive to drink tea) I cleared my guns as we closed. He turned, as if to back over our side of the line and I got shot off at him (0) As I went past his tail, he Immelmanned on me and set himself up a very close shot and smoke started pouring from my engine (3, 4, +Smoke) (Word to myself "Don't fall for that again") As he headed along the Line I hauled the "Old Girl" around and closed I put a good solid burst into the Fokker's engine (3, + Engine Damage) A minute later I was back on his tail, up close and poured more damage into him (3, 2, + NLT) He didn't seem to be able to pull away so again my guns chattered (1+1, 1+1) and he started to fall from the sky. My first kill (if it's confirmed?) Drinks in the Mess tonight.

F/O Breech RTB / 1 kill

Unknown German pilot SD Rolled 8 -1 = 7 Bruised, skip 1 scenario. EE NML Rolled 3 +1 = 4 Captured and Escaped, skip 1 scenario - He'll be back

Next time will try to photograph, but enjoyed the experience

And so it begins !

"He is wise who watches"

Shadowdragon - following on from your bitter irony comment, photos may take some time. I could take them on my phone but have no idea what happens to get them on the forum. Thought I'd be laughing taking them with my lap top camera - wrong- can't even change the camera from facing me Wadda ya mean Luddite. Nobody listened to me about fire.

It was good fun though running a story along with the game and trying to do a correct butcher's bill. Next is to put more names on the pilot's list for both sides and run a few OTT missions to get up to speed.

Just a quick question: Is a Rookie a Rookie until he completes his first sortie or his first kill?

a step closer to photos. Took a photo on my phone (so far so good) forwarded it to my e-mail address (so far so good) e-mail and photo registered on my phone! e-mail arrived on my computer - no photo. Back to the drawing board. JARED (my son) help me

Nice job, your report really painted a picture of the dogfight. As far as I know, you are no longer a rookie the sortie after your first kill.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    a step closer to photos. Took a photo on my phone (so far so good) forwarded it to my e-mail address (so far so good) e-mail and photo registered on my phone! e-mail arrived on my computer - no photo. Back to the drawing board. JARED (my son) help me
    You should be able to plug your phone into the computer and transfer the pictures that way. Resize them using Paint to 640x480 and you are set to upload them to this forum.

just spent a pleasant hour or two working on adding names to my squadron members from Squadron Leader Giles (Gilly in the Mess, Farmer when he's not around) Osbourne at the top, through pilots, medical officer, down to Air Mechanics 1 & 2 (thanks to the Trumpton Fire Brigade) and below them all, Air Mechanic 3 Nobby Nobbs. Now just repeat for the Germans

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    You should be able to plug your phone into the computer and transfer the pictures that way. Resize them using Paint to 640x480 and you are set to upload them to this forum.
    Yup, that should sort you out. I open the image in Photos and crop it to exclude all unnecessary surroundings. This will help to make the subject bigger in the final image.
    Pixel number is personal choice, and I vary it by subject also; a single mini might only need 500 x ?, a swirling combat might need 1000 x ? to get all the combatants in.
    The smaller the pixel number, the more photos you can post up to your Membership data limit.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for your imaginative verbal accounts, Iain.

That was a nice account of the two fights, I wish I could be as succinct. A couple of photos and tge jobs a good un.��

must admit two planes, about 6-7 turns, job done. If I knew what a "tge" was I might be able to do it/one?

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    must admit two planes, about 6-7 turns, job done. If I knew what a "tge" was I might be able to do it/one?
    Tge = The - for someone not as hamfisted as I am with a one fingeredtablet keyboard..

There are different ways to add photos to a thread, but this is my step by step approach and it has worked for me for a long time now. Its time consuming and for large AARs with loads of pics, it can be very laborious. But perservere.

Photos -
    Step 1. Take photos with phone camera. Write AAR.
    Step 2. Connect phone to computer and upload photos to "pictures" file.
    Step 3. Create a file inside the pictures file and give it a name that suits the AAR. Just open up the pictures file, right click and chose "new - file then name it and pop your photos inside.
    Step 4. Either with paint or picture manager, open each photo and resize. I use picture manager and resize all pics to 20% of the original. No need to save in both sizes unless you intend to print. The number of pixels will make no difference to the quality of the image as shown on a computer screen. But it will make a difference if ever you want to print the image, in which case use the original size or better. The reduced size, as Tim says, will also save you huge anounts of space on your Drome account. Add photos to AAR script.
    Step 5. Close the file with the AAR photos in it. Keep your AAR open as a guide.
    Step 6. Go to the Drome web page and find the location of the place you want to post your AAR. Click on "Post New Thread" and give it an AAR heading. This new window is where your AAR is going to be posted.
    Step 7. Reduce the size of the screen showing the Drome page so that you can now see two open windows, the drome and your AAR in a window next to it.
    Step 8. Copy the whole AAR, (pictures and all, although these will not be transferred at this stage), then paste into the drome window. If you have given each photo of your AAR a simple number, these will appear in the Drome window and you can use this info in the next step.
    Step 9. At the bottom of the Drome page into which you have pasted the beginnings of your new AAR thread, click on "Manage Attachments". Another window, third, will appear.
    Step 10. Click on "Add Images" then "Browse". This will take you into your own files search.
    Step 11. Find the file containing your AAR pictures.
    Step 12. Locate the first image click on it and upload it to the third window. When that has been done ( afew secs only) a message appears at the bottom of the third window reading "Insert on line one".
    Step 13. Make sure you have clicked your curser in the Drome window at the exact point you want the photo to go - this is where those numbers come in handy. I just remove the numbers at the same time.
    Step 14. Go back to the third window and click on the button which says "Insert on Line One". The code for your photo will appear in the correct place. Don't worry about spacing, the code will do that for you.
    Step 15. Repeat steps 10 to 14 for all images.
    Step 16. When you are happy that all has been included, go to the bottom of the Drome page and click on "Preview Post". make sure all is good. Then return and click on "Add Post". Job Done.

Hope I've got this right, as I'm doing it from memory. Also hope it helps

thanks Mike, that'll do for me. Will give it a go this weekend

Similar Missions

1. Flying Officer 'Percy' Burton RAF
    By flash in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-31-2016, 02:22
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 08:14
  3. Chivalrous Flying Officer Kyte!
    By predhead in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7