Ares Games

Thread: Help with zio Prudenzio Macchi MC 200

Default Help with zio Prudenzio Macchi MC 200

Hi all,

I have discovered on my hard-disk pdfs with zio Prudenzio's Macchi C200 and Caproni Ca111, downloaded long long time ago and then forgotten.
    They appear to be around 1:72 and look quite nice. Now that I am a WoG pilot I'm considering building a squadriglia of Macchi in 1:200,..provided I can raise an overdose of patience...
    In the forum I could not find any reference of these models. Nobody has ever built them? Really?

Would anybody proficient with graphics be in the mood to create vectorized layered versions? That would help a lot for camouflage and markings variations. Or has this been done already?

Thanks for suggestions
    Fabrizio

This isn't the model you want to do, but it is a Zio Prudenzio plane done in 1/200 scale:

Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III

Zio Prudenzio Model - Kittyhawk Mk III HS-B 'Stocky" Edwards

PS: For Stocky's plane, I did a Photoshop mask and paint for the markings on an existing plane having the appropriate camo scheme. Doing a Vector translation of the plans is nothing I would entertain.

PPS: I have all of Zio's plans from his site, I think, including six (6) Macchi C.200s.

Work done on the P-40:

Original Kittyhawk:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kittyhawk-g3Crop.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	288151

Repainted Stocky Version:

Name:	kitty-02-StockyV2c.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	288152
    Note: Painting out the Shark mouth was a particular pain in the... A blank Vector drawing would be nice, if you wanted a particular color scheme, though.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-05-2020 at 09:15.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The 1/200 Macchi that came out of my new printer last summer looked so scarily tiny that this project became a permanent dweller of the procrastination archive.
    Finally, thanks to never-ending covid-boredom I became motivated enough to give it a chance.

After some partial test builds I completed three of them. These are my first paper planes in this scale and obviously there is plenty of potential for improvement but given my fading eyesight and shaky hands I'm quite satisfied with the result, at least when seen from playing distance ;-)

Name:	IMG_5134_small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	298798

The first one has the original colors as designed by zio Prudenzio. I just slightly reduced shading and retouched here and there. The others are complete repaints.

Name:	IMG_5130_small.jpg 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	298799

Name:	IMG_5136_small.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	298800

This russian campaign Macchi is a machine manufactured by Breda, recognizable by its different white cross and irregular camo pattern. I wasted too much time on the camo though, doing and redoing, test printing, changing colors..... The trouble with image processing is that you could go on forever. At some point you have to stop and declare you are done.

Name:	IMG_5140_small.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	298801

Name:	IMG_5138_small.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	298802

Name:	IMG_5139_small.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	298803

And here an Aermacchi-built machine with typical poached-egg style blotches. Honestly, I think it was not really worth the effort to print the canopy on transparent sheet. In future projects in this scale I will stick to paper, much easier to fold and glue.

Name:	IMG_5144_small.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	298804

Name:	IMG_5145_small.jpg 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	298805

Internals are made up of a skeleton cut from a side-view and some toothpicks. This makes them strong enough for solo plays, however I may not dare release them for hardcore PvP fights.

Name:	IMG_5111_small.JPG 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	298806

..and some final action
    unicorns & monoplanes - soon in your local game shop!

Name:	IMG_5149_small.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	298807

Fabulous work! I really like the idea of the internal structure to help keep the build in the right shape. My P-40 first attempt was a mess, and I didn't get the engine cowling and intake right at all.

Great that you did the models, even if it took a while. Three planes done means you now have the skill to do the P-40 opponents, if you were inclined.
    Mike

Really impressive builds!

Rep!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the nice comments and reps, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Three planes done means you now have the skill to do the P-40 opponents, if you were inclined.
    Before I tackle an other fighter I will first do some wellness-modelling with an easy one, a Bloch MB200. I saw it by chance on WargameVault and purchased it.

Stunning mate.
    I think your 'fading eyesight and shaky hands' are still quite up to the task!
    Rep incoming.

Three planes done means you now have the skill to do the P-40 opponents, if you were inclined.
    Planning to do some P40s for MTO and just wondering about the camo scheme of the Prudenziati model. Except for port side it does not look remotely like the British A or B schemes. Do we agree that this is rather a fantasy scheme? Or did US supplied machines have completely different schemes?

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Planning to do some P40s for MTO and just wondering about the camo scheme of the Prudenziati model. Except for port side it does not look remotely like the British A or B schemes. Do we agree that this is rather a fantasy scheme? Or did US supplied machines have completely different schemes?
    Do you want something different? Could be arranged. I stripped-down the camo image so that I could put different squadron markings on it for Stocky's version.

PS: Reference?

Name:	M042-P-40E-N.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	307258
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-02-2021 at 09:27.
    Mike

I need to recolor the base drawing, but this is what the brown patches should look like?

Name:	kitty-02-BaseV2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	307259

PS: Continued the work on this on another thread: Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III - Post #35
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-02-2021 at 17:41.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno
    Sorties Flown

Fantastic work ! i I really like this plane : Macchi MC 200
    "Rep"

Do you want something different? Could be arranged. I stripped-down the camo image so that I could put different squadron markings on it for Stocky's version.

PS: Reference?
    Gosh! It was not my intention to load you with work, but since you have already started I really appreciate your support. I continue on the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Spad VII View Post
    Fantastic work ! i I really like this plane : Macchi MC 200
    "Rep"
    Thx Bruno!

Would these be of any use?

Name:	c200-05-1_ClrBlank_Green.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	307561

Name:	c200-05-1_ClrBlank_Sand.jpg 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	307562

And if you need different colored engine cowlings:

Name:	c200-Nacels.jpg 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	307563
    Mike

Would these be of any use?

Name:	c200-Nacels.jpg 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	307563
    Yes, simplifies life a lot.

Similar Missions

1. Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 46