Ares Games

Thread: Looking for Cross & Cockade Back Issue of Quarterly Journal

Default Looking for Cross & Cockade Back Issue of Quarterly Journal

Does anyone have a copy of Cross & Cockade Quarterly Journal, Spring 2014 Volume 45/1 ?

It apparently has an article on a few RNAS, Squadron 9 aircraft/pilots. I'm doing some research on possible repaints of 9 RNAS Sopwith Camels.

I can't seem to find who flew serial B6381 with "Daphne" painted on the side near the cowling. The article in Cross & Cockade Vol 45/1 has an article between pages 29 and 35 that may reveal some info. I'd buy it from them, but it will take weeks and weeks to cross the channel. And I simply want a pilot name, if there is one.

Also, if anyone has decals for RNAS, Squadron 9 Camels... I'm interested in purchase. I know that the great Hajj produced some decals way back in 2010-ish for RNAS 9 as he told me so and I've seen the repaints in his beautiful collection. So if you have a sheet that you never got to or some extras PM me and I'll gladly make it worth the trouble.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	424.8 KB 
ID:	288007

Hi Jeff - Only just ead this for the first time. Bit slow i am I have a copy of this issue and shall find it later today and see if the name of the pilot you want is in it. Re the decals - can't help you there sadly, but if anyone has them, I'd love a set too

OK Here goes. Re Cross & Cockade International quarterly journal Spring 2014 Vol 45/1 - From inscription under two photos of "Daphne" on page 31. Reads :
    FSL M.S. Taylor is shown, right, sitting on the deck of Camel B6381 Daphne which he picked up at the AD on 23 November 1917 and flew regularly until 28 december 1917 after which FSL (J.P.) Hales took it on patrol. Flt Lt Boutillier delivered Daphne to the Manston War School via Dover AP. .......
    Hope that helps. I'll buzz you if I come across a source of the decals, likewise,let me know if you come across them.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK Here goes. Re Cross & Cockade International quarterly journal Spring 2014 Vol 45/1 - From inscription under two photos of "Daphne" on page 31. Reads :

Hope that helps. I'll buzz you if I come across a source of the decals, likewise,let me know if you come across them.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Fantastic! Thank you so much, Mike.

I'll be sure to let you know about the decals. I'm doing the research. A friend is going to make the RNAS Squadron 9 Camel decals. No time frame just yet. There is a ton of information here on the 'drome as this isn't the first time these have been created. But it has been almost 10 years. I've got 5 planes identified with color plates in the blue/white/grey scheme and am still looking for a sixth.

Thanks again! Rep incoming.

Cheers Jeff. I'll be a happy bunny too once your friend is able to put up the decals for sale on eBay. I shall wait for news with bated breath Thanks for the rep

Hi again Jeff,

I assume the five 9N B Flight designs you already have are for Maude II B6327; Muryel B3905; Daphne B6381; Dorothy B3884 and the Flight Leader's ( Flt Cdr J S T Fall) machine Doris B3898. Is that the case?

The Cross & Cockade Issue we've been quoting from also has photos of B7202 (Not with 9N for long but a nice design); B3883 also flown by B Flight Commander Joe Fall ( with some red in the personal markings) and a couple of other machines, one with a design described as "Loop the loop", but with no further details that I have yet identified; the other with a design that looks suspiciously like a B flight machine but which is quoted as being possibly A or C flight.

They do say that all colours are speculative, for obvious reasons and it can be difficult to know exactly which flight some machines are in, but the whole article about 9N makes for great reading.

If any of this info is what you are looking for, then you may want to invest in a copy of the C & C issue, no matter how long it takes to arrive.

Chau for now,

Mike

You are correct sir!
    I've found all I need on the below 5. As you noted, some are a bit more speculative than others. I'm not a rivet counter, so I just go with what pleases my eye the most. I'm going with the Blue,Grey,White interpretation rather than the Red,White, Blue. Machines were routinely flown by many different pilots and moved around squadrons as well, so I'm worrying less about the pilot attribution. "Generally considered the personal markings of: Narbeth, Taylor, Stackard, Wood, Unknown Pilot, and Fall".

B3905 Muryel
    B3681 Daphne
    B6327 Maude II
    B3884 Dorothy
    B7202

And then there is Fall...
    B3898 Doris (though I have no clear information on Fall's personal markings - a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, smothered in a chalupa).

Anyone have anything to offer on Sopwith Camel B3898 "Doris" markings? Or any other aircraft with Fall's markings?

I've pm'd you Jeff, I hope - shall deal with this further tomorrow

Mike (Not "Sir" please. I am not worthy )

Similar Missions

1. Other Cross & Cockade collection x 200 journals
    By REDvectors in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2018, 14:32
  2. Cross & Cockade International (CCI) Calendar
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 16:11
  3. General Over the Front Quarterly Journal: Summer 2015
    By fast.git in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0