Ares Games

Thread: Where do we go from here?

Default Where do we go from here?

Is there any scope for the further development of this expansion? There could be some rule tweaks but would people want to buy new Martian models? Would people like to see Martian flying machines, for example? What do you all think?

I would love to see the 1950's flying machines! That would be awesome. Not sure how the license would work with that.

I would love to see some Martian flying machines!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Derrick
    Sorties Flown

I would buy stronger tripods.

I liked the funky movement of the cuttlefish. Give me more of that.

This game gets attention. Or it did before lockdown. It is hard to pass the table without asking questions about those beautiful minis.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would love to see the 1950's flying machines! That would be awesome. Not sure how the license would work with that.
    Then we need YB-49's for WGS...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I think any further advancement would have to be much later - possibly adding to the WGS rules, although I would think Korean War era jets would be better against Martian flying machines.

I'd much rather have Ares finish their WGS PTO promises before adding more to this 'novelty' line of product.

I did buy the starter set and two of each tripod and extra accessories, but they haven't seen any gaming time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think any further advancement would have to be much later - possibly adding to the WGS rules, although I would think Korean War era jets would be better against Martian flying machines.

I'd much rather have Ares finish their WGS PTO promises before adding more to this 'novelty' line of product.

I did buy the starter set and two of each tripod and extra accessories, but they haven't seen any gaming time yet.
    Be patient, *we're* working on it--I've already shot them enough data on Cactus AF/AirSols to make your eyes glaze over and even that's barely scratching the surface. I'm gonna be surprised if it's even ready for delivery as early as this time next year, but I can confirm some really exciting stuff is in their roadmap and if they go with the expanded version I suggested there'll be a bit more.

Give this old thread a read for what the view from the inside is like: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...rom-the-inside
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Not played this in a while, not necessarily a fan favourite. If they expand it I'd be surprised; if they did I'd like to see more aircraft to go along with the Martian elements. SPAD XII perhaps, some different triplanes, Pfalz Dr1, maybe some less successful/prototype ones - Nieuport, Albatros as well as (corrected) Sopwith's and other types that didn't quite make it to production, like the AFB-1.

"He is wise who watches"

I will have to reset my patience meter. Lockdown has gotten me rabid for some games.

Well I think the game needs tweaks. I went crazy and bought the set and all the tripods. The game however went stale really quickly at the club. People were dissatisfied with how weak the tripods were and how unbalanced things seemed to be sometimes, especially with the energy mechanic and heat rays. I have said plenty about my problems with the game in different threads but would love the game to get popular again at the club as I love the concept and models.

I'd like to see Entente and CP diesel-punk mechs where the two sides have managed to use Alien tech to create their own walkers. Kind of a spin off. Say Martians have been killed by cold virus, yet instead of peace both sides continue where they left off before being interrupted, however now have Alien tech too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    I'd like to see Entente and CP diesel-punk mechs where the two sides have managed to use Alien tech to create their own walkers. Kind of a spin off. Say Martians have been killed by cold virus, yet instead of peace both sides continue where they left off before being interrupted, however now have Alien tech too.
    That's a great idea. Even if the Martians stay in play as a third faction, this would be a great direction to take T&T and get really inventive with the game system. Hmm, might be a fun side project to design...

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    That's a great idea. Even if the Martians stay in play as a third faction, this would be a great direction to take T&T and get really inventive with the game system. Hmm, might be a fun side project to design...
    Sounds a bit like my 'Scythe' board game!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Sounds a bit like my 'Scythe' board game!
    That's exactly what I was thinking! For those that aren't familiar, here's some Rozalski's artwork, that Scythe was built around:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jakub-rozalski-1920-scythe-finall-27art.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	290867

If you start with the conceit that the technological advantages of the martian war machines are built upon their power generation systems, and that the heft of such systems prevent flight, it becomes a quick hand wavey way to explain why humanity is building mechs rather than upgrading their air forces.

The is/was a game called 'All Quiet on the Martian Front' with models like these:

Name:	db0a993a9033fb641234274a6ada2810_large.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	290869

Or check out the War of the Worlds: Goliath movie
    https://waroftheworlds.fandom.com/wi...orlds:_Goliath
    Some neat planes looking for a shapeways designer

Name:	Goliath valkyrie 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	290879

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Some great ideas here, personally I would like to see a development without advancing the time line, rules (modles we can make ;-) ) for ground troops. Then rules for ships...

How about a more powerful version of the ‘Thunderchild’?

For WWII/Korea era there are models in 1/144 by Pegasus, they are on here somewhere.
    I quite fancy the north of Britain 1940, 141 squadron Defiants from Grangemouth supported by Whirlwind fighters, maybe by 1941 a hurriedly rushed into service P92 super defiant with 2 or 4 20mm cannon fitted in the turret!
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 07-17-2022 at 13:41.

Lest we forget

We had a game of WWI Martians at our local games club on Thursday night, sadly the camera batteries failed. However, the RNAS put up a couple of Pups and 11/2 strutter, supported by the Italians with a Macchi M5.
    The strutter managed to drop a bomb directly in front of a fighting machine, leaving a crater which caused the Martian to topple over. If the blasted Lewis hadn't jammed, we would have had the blighter!

Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Then we need YB-49's for WGS...

this!

and b-36s!!!

I was absolutely in love with T&T when it was first released. I loved the models and the fun twist to wings of glory however the game was short lived at my club and hasn't been played for a long time.

In my opinion I think the rules for the tripods need to be revisited to give them some longevity and also we need more missions for multiple players.

Some thoughts I had written down in a previous thread:

The missions: We just need more balanced missions that allow for group games of 4 people. It is incredibly tough to balance planes vs tripods so I think having set lists of machines to choose from is the best way.

Tripods: Their rules need to be tweaked. We found that the tripods are just quite weak when focus fired and have very little in the way of offensive capability. Their heat ray is terrible and it leaves a bad taste in our mouths when the tripod main weapon is actually their smoke launcher. In practice we found that the tripods very rarely killed anything. In the latter half of a game the tripods tended to continually recharge and run away due to being shot constantly. It just doesn't feel right that tripods are easily outclassed by ww1 fighters.

William,

There are a lot of use that feel the heat ray needs to be a bit more accurate.

Whenever we play, the smoke is also the most used weapon. Unless you get a pilot with an obvious move that is easy to predict, hitting with the rays is difficult.

The shields to play a major factor, but if the tripod gets swarmed those will eventually get depleted.

We have some home rules on tweaking the heat rays. A lot of which of been discussed in a few of the threads here.

Shall we make a new thread to try and condense and agree on the best house rules?

It seems to me that we need something to make the heat rays better(easier aiming/less 0s) and something to help with the shield/energy depletion. ,(Maybe X2 energy on a recharge or just more starting energy)

This is really odd, we play this at our local club, there is a group of 5 of us. Ruth regularly thrashes the fighters single handed (she is very good with the tripods). The last game we played only 4 of us were present. Ruth handled 3 tripods, the rest of us had 2 planes each, mix of single and two seaters. Result, one tripod down, 4 aircraft lost, all martian objectives taken and destroyed.

Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by william1134 View Post
    Shall we make a new thread to try and condense and agree on the best house rules?
    The "Heat Rays are TERRIBLE, time to improve them" thread you posted way back pretty much covers this already, William, I added a comment on it so as not to detract from the topic here.

"He is wise who watches"

In the games I have played with the Tripods the heat rays have been a lot more damaging than the smoke. To line them up is easy enough and the only downside was that it normally leaves the tripod with the unshielded part (front) facing the aircraft.
    If you watch this weeks online game at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3qaWkG8zY you will see that in regards first attack I lost the smoke generator but was still able to survive the game and help bring down a 30 point bomber (mainly on heat ray) and a couple of other planes. In other games I have played they have taken down 40 point targets, mainly with the heat ray and the smoke used more as a shield to keep the aircraft at bay.
    The only house rule used for the heat ray was altitude rules and that if it hit two planes in line at the same altitude then both took damage (only occurred once in the game).