Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Stumptonian

Default OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Stumptonian

A-Hunting We Will Go
    The Somme, France
    July 27th 1916

Nearing the end of July, the Somme campaign continues to raise casualty counts on both sides of the conflict.

The story in the air above the trenches was much the same.

The training that pilots received before being sent to the front was minimal,

and weapons training even less.

‘On the job training’ was dangerous, but was the only way to really help these new airmen survive.

Two-seater reconnaissance missions were deadly for all concerned, not just those involved in bringing back much-needed photos, but also those expected to stop them from accomplishing those important tasks.

Your mission will be training just such a pilot to do that ….

Playing Area
    Two Ares mats joined on the long side will provide the game area – Countryside and No Man’s Land.

No Man’s Land will be treated as such; Countryside is Friendly Territory for you, Enemy Territory for the opponent.
    If you do not have these particular mats, use what you have available. One mat will still be considered No Man’s Land for C&W/E&E purposes.

There are two tables used to determine the composition of the enemy force:
    Table I is two-seaters; Table II is scouts.

Roll 1D6 to select which table to use: 1 to 5: Two-seater 6: Scout

Each Turn roll 1D6 and add the Turn Number to the die roll. If the result is 6 or more another opponent will arrive.
    Once there are two opponents, stop this process until one is either shot down or exits the playing area.

Setup
    Roll 1D6 on Table I to select the starting enemy aircraft. The first opponent will always be a two-seater

Enemy placement:
    The mats are labelled with numbers from 1 through 12.
    Roll 3D6 and add the result to select the starting point on the mat. If the dice total is over 12, subtract 12.
    e.g. a total of 14 becomes 2; a total of 17 becomes 5
    Place the enemy aircraft at the edge of the mat where the corresponding number is located per the photo, facing toward the center of the mat.
    #2 through #7 are on the Countryside mat. #8 through #12 and #1 are on No Man’s Land.
    [Please note the position of the numbers – it is important]

The two-seaters’ objective is to take photographs on the Countryside mat.
    Aircraft starting from No Man’s Land will attempt to take 2 photos and then exit from the No Man’s Land mat.
    Aircraft starting on the Countryside mat will attempt to take 3 photos and exit from No Man’s Land.
    Photos can only be taken when the movement card is a stall. Substitute a stall for a straight or side-slip whenever it would be advantageous for the opponent to do so (i.e. to be the “I” in AI)

If a two-seater is within 3 of its damage limit (FRTB-D) or takes Engine Damage (FRTB-E), or has a wound serious enough to force an exit (FRTB-W),
    or is within 5 of its damage limit and on fire (FRTB-F) the aircraft will abandon the photography mission and attempt to exit the table.
    FRTB-E must exit from No Man’s Land. Aircraft with other types of FRTB may exit from the closest edge, but will receive a penalty for doing so, so if not in danger they should attempt to exit from No Man’s Land.
    If able to do so, the aircraft can take ‘opportunity’ photos while maneuvering toward the table edge, but only when the card played is a stall.

Possible targets for photos are any of the 4 larger building areas on the mat - only one photo per target per aircraft.
    There can be multiples of any photo, just not by the same aircraft.

Those using other mats should select or add target cards as necessary.

Opponent AI scouts primary objective is to attack the closest aircraft currently threatening a two-seater, otherwise the closest enemy.

Opponent scouts can exit from any edge if forced to do so. Yours should try to exit from the Countryside mat where possible, using the same criteria as the enemy two-seaters, as noted in the Victory Conditions (but using Countryside numbers)

Your force will consist of:
    1 student – a rookie if you have one, otherwise your pilot with the least missions flown and least victories.
    1 teacher – your most experienced pilot by combination of missions flown and victories.
    1 additional pilot of your choosing.

Your initial aircraft placement:
    Roll 3D6 and place your teacher & rookie aircraft on the mat in the position noted on the mat photo, one half-ruler apart.
    If your starting point is the same as the opponent, roll again.

Additional aircraft
    Your opponent can have a maximum of two aircraft on the table at any given time if the required die rolls are achieved.
    Follow this procedure to bring on additional opponents:

Roll 1D6 at the start of each turn before any movement to see if another opponent will arrive.
    Add the Turn Number to the die roll.
    Another opponent will arrive on a result of 6 or more. (Once you reach Turn 6 the additional opponent will be automatic.)

Once a second opponent is on the board you may roll to try to bring on your own additional scout.
    Add the Turn Number to your die roll. As with your opponent, a result of 6 or more is required.
    Roll 3D6 and place your scout using the same method used for initial placement.
    Once you have the third scout on the table you will not receive any additional aircraft or replacements.*

* There is an exception to this rule if the student exits the table which is explained under Special Rules later in this briefing.

If an opponent is shot down or exits the playing area, roll to bring on another at the start of the next turn.
    If there are no opponents on the table at the end of any turn you can end the game if you choose to do so, before rolling for an additional opponent.

Note: Just to confirm - there should never be more than two opponents on the table.

Play continues until two of the two-seaters have successfully exited the playing area with at least one photo each, or until you have no aircraft remaining

Special Rules
    Unlike the regular rules for rookies, a more experienced pilot will always allow the student to fire at the same target first.

If the training pilot is shot down or forced to exit, his student will team up with the other experienced pilot.
    If the student is shot down, his teacher will take on the closest enemy.

If the student is forced to exit, his teacher will accompany him.
    If this happens before the enemy has successfully exited with one two-seater, you can roll to bring on a new pair, but will take an additional 3 point penalty in the Victory Conditions.
    You must wait until the original pair has left the table to begin this process.

The Opponent Tables contain aircraft that I have available - please adjust to include aircraft in your own collection.
    Enemy crewmen can include your regular opponents per the Squadron Sheets, but you may add unknowns if you don’t have crew available that matches the required aircraft. (e.g. I hope to get some French planes from my collection to the table.)

Opponent Tables - Central Player
    Table I : Two-Seaters
    1D6
    1-2 : RAF BE.2c
    3-4 : Sopwith 1-½ Strutter
    5-6 : RAF FE.2b

Table II: Scouts
    1D6

1 : Morane-Saulnier N
    2 : Airco DH.2
    3 : Nieuport N.11
    4 : Nieuport N.16
    5 : Nieuport N.17
    6 : RAF FE.2b

Opponent Tables - Entente Player

Table I: Two Seaters
    1D6

1-3 : Albatros C.III
    4-6 : Roland C.II

Table II: Scouts
    1D6

1-3 : Fokker E.III
    4-6 : Halberstadt D.II

EXAMPLE: Central Powers

Start: Table I - Rolls 2 = BE.2c
    Rolls 3D6 = 9 and places the aircraft at the edge of the mat in the corresponding spot.
    (Since the starting point is on No Man’s Land this aircraft should attempt to take 2 photos on the Countryside mat and then exit from No Man’s Land.
    Rolls for his own aircraft position per the instructions for placement.

Turn 2
    Rolls for next opponent:
    Adds Turn No. to die roll of 3 = 5: Less than 6 means that no new opponent will appear this turn.

Turn 3
    Rolls 6: a new opponent will appear.
    Rolls 3 on 1D6 for type: 2-Seater
    Rolls 4 on 1D6 on Table I: Sopwith 1-½ Strutter
    Rolls 3D6 and adds them up for a total of 14, which is greater than 12, so subtracts 12 for a final result of 2.
    (Since the starting point is on Countryside this aircraft should attempt to take 3 photos and then exit from No Man’s Land.)

Places the aircraft at the edge of the mat in the corresponding spot.
    Rolls to attempt to bring on his additional scout. Rolls a 2 (+3 for Turn No.) = 5: Scout does not enter yet.

Turn 4
    There are two opponents, so no further die rolls required to bring on an additional one.
    Rolls to bring on his additional scout: Rolls a 3 (+4 for Turn No.) = 7: Additional scout arrives.
    Rolls 3D6 for aircraft placement per the instructions.
    During Turn 4 the BE.2c is shot down, therefore will roll for another opponent next turn.

Turn 5
    Roll 1D6 = 5 (+5 for Turn No.) = 10: New opponent arrives.
    Rolls 1D6 for Type = 6: Scout
    Rolls 1D6 on Table II = 3: Nieuport N.11
    Rolls 3D6= 18 which is greater than 12, so subtracts 12 for a final result of 6
    Places the aircraft at the edge of the mat in the appropriate spot.
    Enemy scout will target your scout which is closest to the nearest two-seater.

Turn 6
    There are still two opponents so there will not be any need to roll for additional ones.
    If there was only one opponent on the table another would arrive automatically from Turn 6 onward.

Play continues until two of the two-seaters have successfully exited the playing area with at least one photo each, or until you have no aircraft remaining.
    The AI Opponent can continue to bring additional planes to the table until this criteria is met.

Victory Points

2 points for every two-seater shot down; 3 if the aircraft had taken any photos
    2 points for every scout shot down.
    1 point for every aircraft FRTB that is not shot down.
    2 points for every two-seater that exits from the No Man’s Land mat with photos: (1 point penalty if outside the designated exit area)
    The exit area is between any of the numbered points noted on the No Man’s Land mat (or the Countryside mat, if applicable)
    i.e. Between #1 and #2 or #7 and #8 are outside the designated area

Bonus points:
    3 additional points for shooting down the student.
    2 additional points for any aircraft shot down by the student.
    1 point for each photo taken if the aircraft successfully exits.

[Remember the 3 point penalty if you had to bring on a replacement student/teacher pair.]

And finally ….
    A tip of the hat to BB401

His Bitter End Mission 16: The Breaking Point from September 2017 was certainly an inspiration for me in how to tackle this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-Somme.JPG   2-Casualties.JPG   3-Air Combat.JPG   3b-Casualties.jpg   3c.jpg  

4-Combat.JPG   5-Halberstadt.JPG   6-Combat.JPG   7-Countryside No Man's Land.jpg   9-Countryside No Man's Land Areas.jpg  

10a-Countryside Targets Overhead.jpg   10c-Countryside Targets Closeups.jpg   11-DH.2-Roland.JPG   12-DH.2s.JPG   21-Victory Points.JPG  

Last edited by flash; 06-01-2020 at 00:32. Reason: Title adjust & a clarification

Thanks Peter, when I emerge from the latest round of decoration I will launch into this, looks like it'll be a challenge.
    I have made a small clarification in the deployment area.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I have made a small clarification in the deployment area.
    Thanks for that. I had left the wording from one of my earlier drafts (before I put in the third scout).
    Once I have read over things so many times things like that subtle change go by unnoticed ...

Mammoth

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Mammoth
    Not really mate, potentially 3 scouts against a brace of tandems, or, a tandem & a scout; rolling over. Very doable.

"He is wise who watches"

Mammoth
    I think the Example and the duplicated photos make it look bigger than it is.

Got into this today - managed to start on different mats and opposite sides of the table, (at 3 & 8) my only observation is the first tandem got it's first pic & on top of the second by the time I caught up to it with the scouts, any further separation and it may well have been onto it's third and final pic !
    Thus far it has been ...Bloody ! and a lot of fun !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    ...and a lot of fun !
    That's the important bit.

(I did think about having two-seaters who start on Countryside take 4 pics)

Mammoth
    Finished mine yesterday and it turned out your description was quite appropriate after all.

(Quite different from the play-testing, I must say.)

Played mine, just have to find time to process the result between deco chores.

"He is wise who watches"

I've played and written this up, just need to face the posting hurdle, I must say it was a bloody barbecue of an affair, I'm going to read the other stories and see how everyone else went on, better than me I hope.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 1 -- Back to Front -- 5th July 1916--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 15:13
  2. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 1: Back to Front - July 5th 1916 {ShadowDragon}
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 14:12
  3. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11