Ares Games

Thread: Old-school dogfighting on Kickstarter

Default Old-school dogfighting on Kickstarter

Came across this today on KS - Age of Dogfights WW1. Reminiscent of Richthofens War, Blue Max etc with a modern twist.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-dogfights-ww1

Might be worth a look, I'm interested in the fact they intend to continue this through WW2 to the jet age.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Looks interesting Steve but I think that if I had the game it might be quicker and easier to set up than a WOG MINIATURES GAME and I have too much WOG stuff to consider making it redundant.

Thanks for the heads up Steve, looks to be an interesting project, I will have a think on it... hmm, what's that burning...?

"He is wise who watches"

Looks good but have to stay with WoG. Have Richthofens war but haven't played it in years.

"Saved" to my Kickstarter.
    Which likely means "Pledged" in the next few days ...

It has some interesting concepts - thanks (I think) for posting.

Thank you for telling us about this game, Steve. It appears that there will be pieces representing a number of planes, which we do not have in Wings of Glory.

Given that it is counter-based I am intrigued by the way they are handling altitude. But as Reg said - too much tied up in WoG to get too excited about it.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Looks really interesting, hope it becomes a reality

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Steve, Steve, Steve! After adding a Staaken, Handley Page RNAS, and Tripods and Triplanes to my collection, I almost had my gaming credit card paid down to a manageable amount. That elusive Zero balance was within sight. And like Pete, this game is now saved to my Kickstarter account. Now just waiting for the right time to have a heart-to-heart with my credit card. I know that like Pete, I too will become a pledgling in a few days. But thanks Steve for the heads up on this new game. I use my WoG minis in other games, so hopefully I can incorporate them into this new game too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    "Saved" to my Kickstarter.
    Which likely means "Pledged" in the next few days ...

It has some interesting concepts - thanks (I think) for posting.
    Twist my rubber arm ....

Backer # 500

100!s of tiny pieces, Dice, obscure planes like the Sablatnig N.1! What is not to like

Actually the pledge is not that much if anyone is really interested. You do not have to paint anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    100!s of tiny pieces, Dice, obscure planes like the Sablatnig N.1! What is not to like

Actually the pledge is not that much if anyone is really interested. You do not have to paint anything either.
    Really? How many of the supporters on this Forum aren't thinking of how they'll adapt minis to this new game?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The real question is, can I get it into the house without the wife knowing I bought another war game?

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    The real question is, can I get it into the house without the wife knowing I bought another war game?
    Well if you are anything like me you can just hide it amongst all the other games you bought but never play.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ...you can just hide it amongst all the other games you bought but never play.
    That's the decision point for me Gary, rather spend the money on WoG as I will play that with the gaming time available.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewGameDetector_BrianBarling_pic682688.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	287942
    Source: www.boardgamegeek.com - aldie album

Originally posted on this thread (before the 'Great Hacking of 2012' eliminated images on the Forum) by Andy [Nightbomber]: How to Get Those New Aircraft into the House Unseen! Post #4
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike, LOL! That is pretty good.

The game looks neat, but I think I will stick with Wings of Glory. Also, DVG has Sopwith Leader, Fokker Leader, and Zero Leader in the pipes. I am a bit more interested in those. Compass has Western Front Ace on the slate for later this year and that looks pretty awesome.

There was a question about miniatures in the FAQ's.

Will there be an upgrade/expansion/stretch goal for miniatures?

Short answer: No

Some of our previous projects contained miniature tanks that proved to be very complicated and expensive to manufacture. The miniatures of the planes are even more demanding due to the thin parts (wings and tail surface), which would further complicate the production and significantly raise the price. Also, it would be very difficult (and expensive) to make a variant which would allow the miniatures to be standing at the same point on the board, but at different heights.

Even if we solved all the technical problems with miniatures at an affordable price, the main criterion for evaluating this game would become the miniatures, and its best feature - the original and fluent gameplay would be in the background.

I wonder if they know about these Litko stands. However, the Litko stands do not tilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFS035-store_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	287946

Sorry for the slight thread-o-mancy, but just discovered this and put it on pre-order.

Looks like a fun little game, and the range of planes looks excellent. I'm thinking there will be good material and data for crossing AC over into WoG

Looks like it can handle larger battles than WoG. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Damn those bloody kick starts

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Damn those bloody kick starts
    Tell me about it - I have 8 on the go

Certainly worth a look, except Yon is sitting on my 4 o'clock Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Since there is a current break in WoG releases, I bought in to this Age of Dogfights game. I believe I have room in my gaming closet for this game, plus the one other Kickstarter game that I've backed. After adding these 2 Kickstarter games to my gaming closet, I believe it'll be approaching critical mass. But I will always find room for additional official and unofficial WoG releases. It's definitely still my favorite gaming system.

I looked at it and did like it. Almost hit the button but them that damned slap of reality hit. Would I play it? Probably not as I'd rather play Wings. So even if I have room in the closet, that's where it would sadly live out its existence for me. I slowly backed away, then turned around and ran not looking back again.

It looks like a great game. I am just sticking with Wings of Glory.

Similar Missions

1. January Jaunt - Dogfighting at Doncaster
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 14:04
  2. Pre - Christmas Dogfighting !!
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 12:14
  3. Western Front: Dogfighting with an O/400
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 23