Ares Games

Thread: Albatros D.V gaming question

Default Albatros D.V gaming question

Hey all,

New member here... I played the original Wings of War many years ago when it first came out - loved it. Have revisited it lately with my two sons during quarantine here - I feel very lucky that they like it as well - gives us some good bonding time, and allows me to nerd out a bit!

Anyway, just had a quick question regarding Albatros D.V and D.Va in the game. I noticed the Pfalz D.III and D.IIIa have their own characteristics, but the Albatros D.V and D.Va do not. Is the assumption then that the differences that would actually show up in a game of this scale are negligible, thus the D.Va entry represents both the D.V and the later D.Va's?

Thanks all - am looking forward to learning more from everyone.

Best,
    -Max

Welcome aboard Max! You are going to enjoy the Drome... so many brilliant and creative people here. Be sure to browse the files as I found many interesting downloads when I joined at the beginning of the year.

I’m going to let the smarter guys answer your question on the Albatros, but I believe you are correct, performance difference is negligible. There are a few planes that do have different cards for slight model variations, as you saw with the Pfalz.

Hi Max, the only Albatross D.V ever released is the Richthofen's one. Yes, we were talking about it, but as for the game stats, the differences were negligible.

"Since D.V had mayor problems with the lower wings integrity, the factory quickly released D.Va - it had stronger wing spars, heavier wing ribs, a reinforced fuselage but the structural problems were not entirely cured. "

Here is the result of a little research :
    The future Scenario and Campaign Pack (if it is edited by Ares eventually) https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...mpaign+set+WGF
    could include Optional rules for specific planes.

Like a rule for wing failure, that concern planes as Nieuport and Albatros D.III and D.V.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...pecific-planes

So it could make a difference between the Albatros D.V and the Albatros D.Va.

Ah, the still future Scenario and Campaign Pack - need more than one hand now to count the number of years that's been coming...
    And I don't see it being this year !

"He is wise who watches"

Ok - so it seems like in game terms that the strengthening of the airframe to reduce the wing issues is largely offset by the engine upgrade of the D.Va, thus it's a wash as far as the Official game is concerned...

However one could add some penalty for D.Vs in a dive as a house-rule...

Does that about sum it up?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMad17 View Post

However one could add some penalty for D.Vs in a dive as a house-rule...

Does that about sum it up?
    Some folks already do exactly that!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Western Front: Questions about SPAD VII, Albatros D.II and Albatros D.III
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 15:17
  2. gaming mat
    By Big chris in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:12
  3. New-to-me Gaming Con
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0