Ares Games
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Online

Default Playing Online

Hello everyone!!

Since we are all staying home and no conventions to play at, I had my son help set up some tech so that I can host some games.

Here is how it works: I have a couple of cameras hooked to some fancy software and I can broadcast a live video of the game board on YouTube. There is no audio with the live stream just the game board. Those that want to watch can on the youtube feed. The players in the game will get invited to a Private Zoom Meeting. I think text chat will be available with youtube. I have tested with Teaticket and after working out some of the bugs we were able to sort it out.

What I would like is to play a small game Thursday evening and I need a 4 pilots for a 2v2 game. The rules will be my modified convention set. I will send them to each person who will be playing. If this works like I want it to I will be hosting a game every couple of weeks.

This is not a perfect setup yet and I am sure things will not work from time to time. Let me know if anyone is interested in playing knowing that everything may not work like we want. If more than 4 players sign up I will pick the first 4 that can play in time slot. Everyone else will get invites to later games.

thanks for your time

What time do you have in your mind? 20:00-00:00 of your time (UTC-4) or earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    What time do you have in your mind? 20:00-00:00 of your time (UTC-4) or earlier?
    I was thinking 7pm Eastern standard time (New York City time)

Mike

If you are not overwhelmed with eager pilots I'd be up for the test run.

This does have possibilities, but I won't know if I'm available until later in the week. Keep me posted, however.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    I was thinking 7pm Eastern standard time (New York City time)

Mike
    That's 23:00 of my time. Never mind, I'll let free slots for American Eagles. Crossing fingers for a good game and fun

I will keep you posted for future games

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    That's 23:00 of my time. Never mind, I'll let free slots for American Eagles. Crossing fingers for a good game and fun
    There will be more opportunities. After this gets up and running I plan on setting myself up to do this also. Probably won't happen until the end of summer but it will happen!

What you call UTC I know as ZULU time. 1900 here would be 0000Z and 0100A. Have to figure out how this is done so I can get in on this.

Bob I emailed you some instructions

Hi All, this sounds good but I am not sure I understand. Is it only the host who actually has the game set up as he is filming the process? Pilots look at the YouTube feed and then maybe send him the card numbers for their manoevers. How will the damage work? What about secret damage etc.

Hi

Yes the host will be the only one who has to have the board setup. I will be uploading a live stream of the board as we play. (there is about a 5 second delay from when I move an item to when you see it) The zoom meeting is where the meat and potatoes are. Each person will need to have their own copy of the movement deck and damage decks. Everyone will plan their moves and send me a chat of the card number of the move for that phase. I will then move all of the planes. Via zoom each player will tell me who that would shot. I will then chat back the number of the damage card so that you can keep track of the damage.

I am sure there will be some difficulties at first but I will get the hang of it and the speed of the games will get quicker.

I hope that your game goes well.

Made contact with Mike on the ZOOM app and looks like this could be a great idea. This was a new experience for me. Glad the wife had me buy a laptop a few years ago. I think this is the first time I used it for a long period. Now I have to get a hookup for my tv so I don't bother the wife. Great idea and thanks to Mike for what he is doing.

Thanks Bob, At this point I am comfortable moving forward with the game. Right now I have the stream live @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj0oAM8gW0 I am going to keep it up for a few hours. IF anyone want to take a look its there. Also there is no audio on this feed by design. I am limited on a few things right now. I dont have high end equipment and I am using what I already had and some things I found on clearance. Thanks for taking a look.

Just checked out the YouTube link. Looks great. Now I am ready to get in on the games you can get together.

Thanks It is nowhere near what I am looking for. But its a start. A few things for today

Hardwire the internet to improve bandwidth
    Change lighting to daylight from soft light.
    Fix tower pc (it stopped working after I moved it)
    Edit yesterdays video down to about 50 minutes ( the first hour and 14 minutes is me setting up and testing stuff and setting) so that it is only game.
    make a few graphics for the feed
    Run some tests using audio on the youtube stream.
    plan out the next game.
    Have some fun

Quote Originally Posted by mikejr74 View Post
    Thanks It is nowhere near what I am looking for. But its a start. A few things for today

Hardwire the internet to improve bandwidth
    Change lighting to daylight from soft light.
    Fix tower pc (it stopped working after I moved it)
    Edit yesterdays video down to about 50 minutes ( the first hour and 14 minutes is me setting up and testing stuff and setting) so that it is only game.
    make a few graphics for the feed
    Run some tests using audio on the youtube stream.
    plan out the next game.
    Have some fun
    I'm in for the last part!

I have several of the items on my list done. Here is the link to the shortened version of the test video. I cut out all of the set up and settings tests. The only thing left is the raw game. There is no sound and the video is a bit grainy. I've been working on fixing some of that and hopefully tonight's game is an improvement. I will post a link again tonight when it is up.

Here is the link for the shorter vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JecfUMgUOTA

Looks good. Are those Mem 44 tiles ? If so they must be from the WW I game they have.

They are from PSC's The Great War game. Its a nice tie in. I use clouds from Blood Red Skies, Buildings from Team Yankee. If I find something that I like I work it it.

A new test game will be starting in a few minutes I made a few changes from yesterday along with I am enabling sound for this game. Pardon any bad words that may be said. We will try to keep it clean.

Tonights link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hggCXC6T-rs

Sean and I are Playing are third of 3 games. With each of us with 1 when this one is for the war.. There will be sound and we have made a few more adjustments you may not see but we do here.

here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YplH8GYUvD8

Jusy clicked on this and hit the subscribe button. No sound for me though. Looking forward to tonight's flight.

Tonights game is a run with 4 people Teaticket and Bobp will be joining from zoom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjpJsHxQF3A

Thanks Mike It was a lot of fun and great to see and talk with you, Bob and Sean. Thanks for putting this together and I really look forward to the next engagement.

I want to Thank Peter and Bob for joining me on zoom to play a game of wings.

Here is the score Allies 2 kills Central Powers 3 Kills

Last Pilots Flying was Bob in his Camel
    Most planes shot down Peter with 3 kills
    Most times shot down was Sean with 3 planes lost

The game is on my Youtube channel or at this link ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjpJsHxQF3A )

It was a huge amount of fun and again another chance for me to learn the electronic hosting side.

I get to go back to work tomorrow after having the last 2 weeks off. At that point I will see what my days off will be and hopefully get a weekend game going early enough to has some of our pilots for the other side of the pond involved.

Thanks Again

I popped in for a little while but there didn't seem to be any sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I popped in for a little while but there didn't seem to be any sound.
    Unfortunately, I have not figured out everything yet. I can have sound when I don't use zoom but with zoom, I end up with a nasty echo. There is about a 5-second delay in the broadcast. As I have said from the beginning it is a work in progress. I learning as we go.

I have to thank Mike for all the effort he put in to making that game possible. It was fun to get with some friends this way even though we are apart. Had a good time flying around and then getting into the fight. No sound on YouTube but in the ZOOM part we could talk to each other. Can't wait for our next together.

Next game is Thursday, June 18th at 7 pm est. Anyone who wants to play please let me know. All of the regulars have my email anyone who wants it to join the game please send me a pm.thanks
    Mike

Had a problem getting into the game but when I did had a great time. Thanks to Mike again for the effort he puts in.

Once again a good time flying in the Thursday Night Furball, thanks Mike!

Bob, looks like your battery died as we missed you at the close. See you again next week!

I want to Again thank BobP, ZenLizard, Peter, John and Dan for joining me for tonights game. I had a blast hosting it for you and look forward to next weeks game.

I am on Staycation this week so I might put together another game. Let me know who might want to play and what day.

Thanks again everyone !!

Mike

Thanks for setting up the game Mike. Had a blast. Ready for the next!

Yes battery died. Now I know it doesn't hold power for more then 3 hours. I have that fixed by keeping it pulgged in. Had a great time. Good to see others and some new people. I will be set up for next week. This time I will make sure I am up and running by 1900.
    Last edited by BobP; 06-19-2020 at 11:15.

Great game last night. Thanks again to Mike for hosting.

What will next week bring ? Something to punder for the next few days.

I was thinking somebody could play Werner Voss in DR.I with the Ace cards. His ares ace card has quite a few skills. Everyone else could be SE5a. See how powerful ace cards can be? We could add some Albatros help it that would help balance it out.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 06-20-2020 at 07:05.

Hello everyone (again)

I will be hosting another Thursday Night Game this week. If you are interested please let me know. There is always room for a few new player!! If you are interested but not sure about how it works and want to watch, I have a few spots open on the zoom side so you can join us there and get a feel for it. This week I am taken part of a scenario that I saw on the YouTube channel LittleWars. I'm calling the mission is call MvR's last flight.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Mike

Count me in! Sounds like a blast!

Mike,

Thank you for hosting tonight's game! It was nice to be able to actually play against folks. You've got a great set up and it worked well. Looking forward to future events!

G Dog

I want to thank Bob Sean Peter Ray Dan John and Zen for joining me tonight. I learned a lot tonight and will have to re-balance the forces and try it again!! It was great seeing everyone and look forward to the next game!!

Thanks Again

Mike

Fun game once again! Thanks for taking all the time and hard effort to set this up Mike. Really appreciated!

Thanks Mike for another fun night in with the guys. REP guns ablaze!

Nice to meet you G-Dog. Wish I was closer to get in some ftf games with you and your group as you have some great planes to fly!

Thanks to Mike for hosting againg last night. Larger group this time so with one person running the planes takes time but had fun. This being something new it takes time to work out the bugs. Its good to see others and get together this way. Thanks Mike.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Online playing?
    By DiegoRH in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2020, 20:15
  2. Online game
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 02:39
  3. WoG online
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club