Ares Games

Thread: Massive A Damage Deck

Default Massive A Damage Deck

I was re-organizing the aerodrome last night and I came across a massive A damage deck of 70 cards. As the cards are sequentially numbered it looks to be 1 deck vs 2 I somehow put together. Anyone know what this is from and where it’s used?

As a side note, I know damage decks are shared by players but how many players can one damage deck support before you change the general odds the game was constructed on?

The Revised Deluxe Set came with a Double-A deck. IIRC general guideline, though, is at least one deck per four planes.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Hmmm... the "A" deck should be 35 cards. And, I usually play up to four planes per damage deck. However, there is an issue with any shared damage deck, when separate players draw special damage. If two players each draw an engine damage, or pilot wound, you never have to worry about the second one taking out your plane (note that engine damage is not revealed, so you'd have to figure out that someone had that damage by card play).

I could see wanting a double deck for any game, for the above special damage reason, if you had more than two scout planes. However, you'd like to have a card caddy to hold all the double decks. Now, if you had a few scouts (with A damage) and a few scouts or two-seaters with B damage, two decks would work, as the special damage would be doubled (actually a bit more in the B deck), as well.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Von Altvater View Post
    I was re-organizing the aerodrome last night and I came across a massive A damage deck of 70 cards. As the cards are sequentially numbered it looks to be 1 deck vs 2 I somehow put together. Anyone know what this is from and where it’s used?
    As a side note, I know damage decks are shared by players but how many players can one damage deck support before you change the general odds the game was constructed on?
    DB recalls it correctly Ken, the 70 card decks came with the WoW deluxe & revised deluxe box sets.
    As you know the standard A deck is 35 cards. The designer's suggested minimum is one deck for every four planes in use as Mike says. He also mentions that if you use multiple decks in big games there's no need to separate them again for smaller games so your 70 card deck is good for any gaming.
    It's also better as the standard A deck has only one fire & one smoke damage.
    I've found a double deck per side evens the chances for all involved, rather than a massive shared deck.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Von Altvater View Post
    If you look closely at the card number printed at the bottom-right corner, you'll see that it is an original 70 card deck, not 'something you put together'...............
    11/70, 28/70, 55/70 etc, instead of the regular 'A' deck 10/35, 33/35 etc.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you gentlemen!

Similar Missions

1. WGF Damage 'A' Deck
    By Maverick in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 12:48
  2. FS: D damage deck, new
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 07:19
  3. damage deck
    By va beach ace in forum WGF: Rules Help