Ares Games

Thread: Avro 504K at Old Warden

Thumbs up Avro 504K at Old Warden

Here is a nice shot of an Avro 504K flying at Old Warden in the UK.
    Looks like it's in RNAS colours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a Avro 504K at Old Warden UK.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	287704

Great photo that illustrates perfectly the fragility of those planes. The first RFC plane to be shot down on the 22nd of August 1914 was a 504. Does anyone know if they shot anything down?

Lovely photo!

I'm struck by how'yellow' the ribs and fuselage cage appears in that lighting, against the CDL.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...Looks like it's in RNAS colours.
    Lovely pic - looks like a nightfighter Baz - Lewis overwing - quick check on their site reveals all:
    Built in 1918 as a K variant, this aircraft was one of those converted to a radial engined 504N while in RAF service. Later it passed into civilian ownership and was registered as G-ADEV. In 1940 it was impressed into military service and took part in glider towing experiments. After WWII it was returned to civilian use and converted back to K specification by Avro apprentices for the film Reach for the Sky – and then donated to Shuttleworth.
    As part of the continuing maintenance programme at Old Warden the aircraft was completely overhauled during 2010 and since March 2011 has been presented in the night fighter configuration of a 77 Squadron machine based at East Lothian in late 1918.
    https://www.shuttleworth.org/collection/avro504k/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4nPETKHZ7s
    Saw it in Reach for the Sky just the other day.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Lovely pic - looks like a nightfighter Baz - Lewis overwing - quick check on their site reveals all:
    Built in 1918 as a K variant, this aircraft was one of those converted to a radial engined 504N while in RAF service. Later it passed into civilian ownership and was registered as G-ADEV. In 1940 it was impressed into military service and took part in glider towing experiments. After WWII it was returned to civilian use and converted back to K specification by Avro apprentices for the film Reach for the Sky – and then donated to Shuttleworth.
    As part of the continuing maintenance programme at Old Warden the aircraft was completely overhauled during 2010 and since March 2011 has been presented in the night fighter configuration of a 77 Squadron machine based at East Lothian in late 1918.
    https://www.shuttleworth.org/collection/avro504k/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4nPETKHZ7s
    Saw it in Reach for the Sky just the other day.
    Thanks Dave!
    Great info.

That is certainly a great picture, Barry, without a doubt but is it perhaps a drawing based upon a photograph? I am asking this because of the sharp black edges to the wings, tailplane and fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That is certainly a great picture, Barry, without a doubt but is it perhaps a drawing based upon a photograph? I am asking this because of the sharp black edges to the wings, tailplane and fuselage.
    Nah - Night fighter = black upper surfaces and sides.................

Click on Flash's link, watch the 2 minute video; black (or very dark green) wing, fuselage and tail edges.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you for explaining, Tim. I did not think about the possibility of a dark upper surface colouring.

Here's the Avro on the ground, finished in dark green

and here it is about 14 years ago in a previous scheme

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I need to remember the covered and painted props! Nice touch . . .

Here it is in Reach For The Sky in 1956 as E3404 !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. WSF Avro 504 K
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 13:23
  2. Official Avro 504K Painting Thread
    By tusekine in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 06:51
  3. SRAM 1/144 Avro 504K Nightfighter
    By Baldrick62 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds