Ares Games

Thread: Snowbird crash

Snowbirds fly using the Canadair CL-41 Tutor trainer jet. It is basic and old technology (1960s). It is designated as the CT-114 in the Royal Canadian Air Force, and is presently being maintained with bailing wire and high temperature duct tape, when they can't hand-manufacture spare parts. The plane was retired from the training fleet in 2000, replaced with the Harvard II. Only 431 Air Demonstration Squadron and the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment still fly them.

The ejection seats are not "Zero-Zero" (Actually, the seat is "0 Altitude-90 knots", the same seat as an F-86 Sabre), and to my slightly educated eye, the ejection happened way too low, and out of the seat envelope for a safe ejection (IE: not level flight). That anyone survived is a miracle.

Awaiting the Flight Safety Investigation on what happened, but it appears the plane lost power, and then stalled, falling out of the sky.

"A bad day at the office." Thoughts and positive vibes to all the families.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sad to hear of the crash, and of the lost life.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 05-19-2020 at 04:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Sad to hear that the plane crashed, but happy to hear that they survived
    Unfortunately, the Public Affairs Officer that was in the second seat did not. Captain Jenn Casey's parachute didn't have time to fully expand, with the plane heading toward the ground when they ejected. A local resident, a Health Care Professional, was one of the first on-scene, and although she and others attempted to provide assistance, the injuries were catastrophic and beyond the limited capabilities of First Aid. The paramedics couldn't do more on arrival than confirm Capt Casey's condition.

More will be learned from the investigation, and we may hear more definitive information on what happened in a few days or weeks.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

People don't realize how old some of these planes are. I saw a show about the B-52 and the plane this capt was flying was the same plane his grandfather flew when he was in the AF. Even with upgrades the main frame is the same. So the plane she was in was way more then her age. A salute to her.

Sad to hear they didn't both make it, flying older types can be unforgiving.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Sad news indeed. A crash is always a tragedy, especially so when a life is lost.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I can only echo what Rob said.

I was sad to hear that Captain Casey died. May he Rest in Peace.

Tragic.

RIP Captain Casey.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I was sad to hear that Captain Casey died. May he Rest in Peace.
    She

Unhappy

Sad news indeed. Always a tragedy when an Air person is lost.
    R.I.P. Capt Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    She
    My apologies.

Sad news indeed.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. P-51 crash
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2017, 14:14
  2. Crash