Ares Games

Thread: Captain D V Armstrong's Sopwith Camel

Default Captain D V Armstrong's Sopwith Camel

When I saw this book announcement today, my first thought was what a striking color scheme old Armstrong had!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armstrong's_Camel.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	287664

This would make an excellent addition to someone's stable of Camels.

Jim

Training Squadron - I think that kind of scheme would never have been allowed at the front.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

He seems to have spent a lot of the war with Home Defense squadrons, ending it there. So it's possible that was the colors on his Camel while flying actively. They had a great deal more leeway for paint schemes.
    BTW: the book review thread on this book has vanished.
    Librarian or Admin??

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Since it was just a notice about the book, the administrator deleted it. Here's the link to the book announcement at Pen & Sword (UK).

From the book's description at the link: "Until this biography little was known about his wartime experiences, and even less about his South African background. His great value to the authorities lay in his superb handling of the Sopwith Camel, which upon its introduction had taken a heavy toll in fatal trainee accidents. While still on active service he was sent around the units providing vivid proof that, properly handled, the stubby little fighter delivered the key to combat success: unrivalled manoeuvrability. His resultant fame eclipsed his other distinguished role in pioneering night flying and night fighting, an equally vital skill he was also detailed to demonstrate around the squadrons."

Jim

Similar Missions

1. The Sopwith Camel
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2018, 08:09
  2. WWI Sopwith Camel
    By Max Von Below in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 15:06
  3. WSF Sopwith Camel N6377
    By Womble in forum Shapeways Models