Ares Games

Thread: "Most Popular" Two-Seaters

Default "Most Popular" Two-Seaters

This query was posted on The Miniatures Page today:

"In your opinion………
    what were the most "popular" 2 seat 'planes on both sides during the 1916-18 period ?
    ….and how effective were they compared to the single seat scouts?"

So far the responses have been the Bristol F2B for the Allies and possibly the Halberstadt CL II and the Hannover CL III for the Central Powers. One poster also added the Breguet 14 as a possibility.

What do y'all think?

Jim

Well if longevity in real life is any measure then the Rumpler for the Germans and the Harry Tate (Re8) for the Entente. The Re8 is generally regarded as an easy target, the Rumpler as a bit tougher but still nowhere near as manoeverable as the scout planes. In the game of course pick the ones with immelman capabilities.

For the Germans, the D.F.W. C.V. It was the dominant German two-seater from spring of 1917 through the late months of the war. It's not even close.

I'll let the chart do the talking:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frontbestand-A-B-C-chart.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	287515

well, its hard not to be stereotypical and choose the hannover cliii and the brisfit.

It seems that the responses indicate that the question is interpreted as ambiguous - do they mean "popular with the crews", "popular, as in numbers of planes ordered and produced", or "popular with the players"?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Like the Hannover C.III for the Germans and the "Harry Tate" - my Cockney roots coming to the fore

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    It seems that the responses indicate that the question is interpreted as ambiguous - do they mean "popular with the crews", "popular, as in numbers of planes ordered and produced", or "popular with the players"?
    Yep, that was my thought when reading the question.

If you ask me which one I would have preferred to be assigned to if I were serving back then, I'll pick the Junkers J.I. They were almost impossible to shoot down.

Similar Missions

1. National: The "Jets" Expansion - I Jet "fantasmi" della WWII
    By Mad Charly in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 00:31
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  4. What did the "C" in German two-seaters aircrafts stand for (in German)?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 07:28
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39