Ares Games

Thread: Brandenburg C.1's report for duty!

Default Brandenburg C.1's report for duty!

Back in 2018 I purchased a number of Brandenburg C.1 models from Darryl's Reduced Aircraft Factory store on shapeways.com. Lovely models of a ubiquitous plane common to the Austro-Hungarian air service. After a lot of dithering and rummaging for decals, I can report that the planes are ready for the game table. This wave of lockdown inspired productivity included a number of other models, but for now, I present - the Brandenburg C.1.

The models were produced in versatile plastic. I used my standard surface preperation method of multiple coats of Krylon clear gloss enamel (acrylic will work too). Once I had the desired sealed and smoothed surface, a light coat of gray spray paint was applied to help the paints adhere to the surface.

Paints are a dogs breakfast of commercial craft paints, Vallejo acrylics, Tamiya (red brown) and the AK Interactive set of German WWI aircraft paints. I found the AK Interactives to be generally disappointing. The mauve was really off from what I was expecting.

Decals were a surprising obstacle. My go to choice for a couple of years for 1/144 Decal Direct. Fabulous product across the board. I'lll really miss his products. But the good news is that I've identified three new sources for decals. This very site can direct you to two of those sources - The Aerodrome Stores decals are excellent and come in a variety of sizes. Then there is Miscmini's line of decals. These are outstanding - a great selection in variety of sizes. The third option I found is a brand called 'Mark 1" decals. I picked up several pack of Maltese Crosses from an online shop in France (1001hobbies). I like the quality of the decals, but the quantity versus price puts these in third place behind the other two suppliers).

I've adopted a decaling process of applying clear gloss to the finished plane. The apply the decals. I'm a big fan of micro sol / micro set. Once the decals are all dried, a light gloss coat on top seals them in. After that dries - a light matt clear coat knocks back the shine of the gloss coat.

Add a magnet so it will sit on a flying stand and you are ready for the table. My current stockpile of magnets came from K&J magnets. One word of caution - you want magnets strong enough to secure the model, but not so strong that the magnetic bond is stronger than the adhesive that attaches the magnets to the base and the plane. (I've learned this from bitter experience - more force is not always better!)

Enjoy the pictures - and go buy some planes from Reduced Aircraft Factory - they are excellent models!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	287466

Name:	2.JPG 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	287467

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	287468

Name:	4.JPG 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	287469

Name:	5.JPG 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	287470

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	287471

Name:	7.JPG 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	287472

Name:	8.JPG 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	287473

Just to mix it up, I choose a very different scheme for one of the models

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	287474

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	287475

Nice looking C.Is Ray. I agree with you about RAF's Shapeways designs. Daryl does an amazing job and continues to put out great planes. Too many, I can't keep up!

Decals are sadly a problem now with 1/144 Direct bowing out. Thank goodness for Miscmini and the Aerodrome. I've found making your own is sometimes the only option. Takes a little
    trial and error but it can be done.

Lovely Brandenburgs!

Dom's Decals is still silent as the grave, and Shed Decals have also folded.
    My attempts at decal production were laughable.
    Fortunately I was able to stockpile 1/144 Direct decals in his closing down sale.
    Kevin's stuff @ miscmini is great, and the large sheets @ Aerodrome Accessories are very helpful too.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Beautiful planes! And thanks for the detailed supplier and technique tips.

Thanks everyone!

A general rule is give more than you take. And the folks on this forum have given me a lot, so it's only right to give back and share my experience and processes.

Ray

lovely aircraft! i especially like the one with the purple/green camo.

Excellent renditions of a true workhorse!

Great job on those. Last year I was a small con a bought some Dom's decals. The dealer said he was finished doing decals so what he had was the last he would get. I use MISCMINI decals on all the planes I do. Since he is only about 50 miles from me I get them pretty quick. Thanks for all the info on how you did your planes. I have some of RAF planes coming this week.

Ray, nice planes. Can't wait to see them on the table!

Thanks for the kudos -- it's really gratifying to see RAF models with a full, glorious paint job, and Ray's are sharp! And the C.I was -- I would argue -- Austria-Hungary's most important plane.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Reviresco (Tin-Soldier: http://tin-soldier.com/decals.html) and Red Eagle Miniatures (http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/decals.html) are also selling 1/144 WW1 decals.

Wow they are nice planes

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Really nice aircraft enhanced by excellent painting. Superb!

I-94 enterprises has some too; their webpage is a pain to figure out what they have, but service is good.
    https://i-94enterprises.com/products...n/decal-scans/
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks Karl,

I've used a number of decals from I-94. I think I was using some the other day on a W.18 model. The older decals were generally too small for 1/144. However the newer sheets appear to have been resized - so definitely give them a look if you are working on small to medium sized 1/144 model planes!

Ray

For smaller decals try Luftwaffe 1946 "HERE". They are for 1/300 scale but I find them useful for small rudders and fuselages.

Similar Missions

1. South England U.K. Report for Duty
    By cepensarum in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-29-2017, 10:22
  2. Florida Report for duty
    By Snoopytheace in forum US Wing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-08-2016, 08:01