Ares Games

Thread: What did you do on VE day Daddy.

Default What did you do on VE day Daddy.

This thread is open for your VE day photos chaps.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well my Dad was still in India, not demobbed until '48.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

My dad was part of the Pacific Fleet on VE day so experienced nothing of the celebrations either.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well my Dad was still in India, not demobbed until '48.

Neil
    My Dad was there in the Burma/India theater as well, but he was out in '46 I think.
    I know he was home in Lancashire by March '47 when he married me Mum...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But my first father-in-law, Ameron Shannon, R.I.P was part of this:
    Liberation of the Netherlands
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-04-2020 at 18:07.

My Dad was out in India too, so VE Day was a normal day of work, I suppose. The streets were so crowded with people celebrating in the town where my Mother lived, that she was late home from work at the railway station and her mother (my grandmother) told her off.

My dad was in the Pacific on the San Diego, Atlanta Class cruiser. On VE day he was off Okinawa defending the fleet from kamikazes.

No wonder you are a PTO expert, Peter.

and to your Dad.

Neither of my parents were even born yet. Grandpa was bending wrenches on whatever kind of plane the USAAF put in front of him that day...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    My Dad was there in the Burma/India theater as well, but he was out in '46 I think.
    My old man was in Burma too Pete, with the REME, he ended up in Rangoon & came home in '46 after 4 years in theatre. My folks had married in '42 just before he left, my sister was born in June '47...

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Right chaps, now following on from that the next question arises.
    What are we going to do for VE Day 75?

Rob.

My old man spent VE Day in hospital still suffering from injuries sustained while a Desert Rat in North Africa several years previously.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

My grandpa was changing his civilian shoes with a German soldier for his high boots - he (soldier) needed something less military for escaping to Americans.
    They (boots) still hang in our cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Neither of my parents were even born yet. Grandpa was bending wrenches on whatever kind of plane the USAAF put in front of him that day...
    Yeah, my parents weren't born either. My dad's dad had a bum leg from a HS football injury, I don't know what he did during the war actually. He and my grandmother did whatever needed done in rural Eastern KY at that time I guess. He had two brother in laws in the service though, one was paralyzed shortly after D-Day, the other ran a desk in the PTO. My mom's dad was on the USS Bataan and somewhere in the Pacific at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What are we going to do for VE Day 75?

Rob.
    Hopefully play out a mission in the BoB solo campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    My mom's dad was on the USS Bataan and somewhere in the Pacific at that time.
    How he spent VE Day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ba...e_home_islands
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What are we going to do for VE Day 75? Rob.
    Well...
    Name:  vicki_michelle_allo_150_150x180.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  12.5 KB

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

my granpa was an essential war worker making patterns (including one for wooden tires) for the french oil company and was a block warden. according to his draft registration classification cards he tried to enlist at least 8 times despite being a father of 2 young children.
    Last edited by milcoll73; 10-15-2020 at 04:02.

My old man was still at sea. He'd been in the Adriatic for many months skippering a Fleet mine Sweeper. This remained in service until 1947 when it was sold into the Belgian navy. So come VE day he was somewhere in the Mediterranean. OK you want to know the name of the ship - HMS Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well...
    Is the right answer Squadron Leader.
    However your female is very near the limit of propriety, even if she is in lockdown!
    Kyte.

AFAIK, my Grandfather (paternal) was coordinating supplies for the 3rd Army, as he was doing since landing on D-Day +6.
    My other Grandfather was 4F due to polio-warped feet, and was a block captain in New Jersey.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

My grandfather was on the green line buses out of Romford, my other grandfather was in the engine room of HMS wanderer, whilst my great uncle was a CPO (Gunnery) on board HMS Rodney, my parents were at school (ish)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

My grandfathers were 1) down a mine shaft in Yorkshire and 2) putting out fires in London
    My father was in school.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

My parents hadn't long been born, but my maternal grandfather was in Stalag 383, near Hohenfels, Germany having been taken into captivity near St Valery en Caux in 1940. He was serving in 23 Field Regt, Royal Artillery, which was attached to 51HD at the time.

Mothers dad started a walk from Brünn/Brno Czech Republic to Bavaria. The blew up their Panzer IV. Fortunately the GIs took only his camera and kicked him in the ass towards Germany and handed him over to the Russians.

Fathers dad was captured in Iglau/Chivala Czech Republic and spent 2 years in a Russian war prison.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    My dad was in the Pacific on the San Diego, Atlanta Class cruiser. On VE day he was off Okinawa defending the fleet from kamikazes.
    Hey Peter,
    My Dad (Chief Petty Officer George H. Brown) was in that same fleet off Okinawa -- USS Merrimack AO-37 (attack oiler). His ship had early service in the European theater (North Atlantic run, several landings in North Africa, and the invasion of Sicily) prior to going through the Panama Canal to the Pacific fleet for the Philippine liberation landings and then on to Okinawa.
    Bill

My Dad trained at Brig O' Don, and went to India with the Cameronians, the only Geordie to do so, there was a Welsh drummer not sure if there were any more Welsh lads though. My Dad was a canny singer and sang the battalion onto the ship singing 'The Road and the Miles'. Was just about to go up country when the battalion was pulled out to practice the landings for the Invasion of Japan.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I know he was home in Lancashire by March '47 when he married me Mum...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But my first father-in-law, Ameron Shannon, R.I.P was part of this:
    Liberation of the Netherlands
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Proud daddy
    By Baron Rolf in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-13-2019, 04:34