Ares Games

Thread: Manoeuvre with kinetic energy

Default Manoeuvre with kinetic energy

Okies, I get the manoeuvre where up and down are concerned, the problem I have is with the kinetic rules......
    Okies I know that if I'm going with speed 3 and I rotate 180° , attack/frack about, then do a speed 2 move. I will still be heading backwards at speed 1. Newton at his finest.....

But if I only do a 90° turn ( left or right doesn't matter) then I make a easy 1 or 2 speed move, I don't get drift??????
    WFT? Is it a simple rule gamewise or is it a thing with the manoeuvring jets that allow you to do this?

Sorry if I have offending someone, but this is an argument that has been going on for a little while with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Okies, I get the manoeuvre where up and down are concerned, the problem I have is with the kinetic rules......
    Okies I know that if I'm going with speed 3 and I rotate 180° , attack/frack about, then do a speed 2 move. I will still be heading backwards at speed 1. Newton at his finest.....

But if I only do a 90° turn ( left or right doesn't matter) then I make a easy 1 or 2 speed move, I don't get drift??????
    WFT? Is it a simple rule gamewise or is it a thing with the manoeuvring jets that allow you to do this?

Sorry if I have offending someone, but this is an argument that has been going on for a little while with me.
    So, If you are going KE 3 and rotate, you can't do any other type of move, other than straights at KE 3. I don't get the doing a KE 2 move, leaving you going backwards at KE 1. That's not allowed.

You can rotate in your planning step in any one direction freely, but you still plan a KE 3 straight maneuver (Inertial Movement. Pg 14-15), and reposition your stand at the end of the move. You can fire in the direction your ship is pointed in the First or Second Firing Step. While Rotated, you can only plan straights, and must plan the straight(s) based on your previous turns KE setting. (Inertial Movement, Pg 15).

If you want to do a maneuver, while rotated, you indicate that with a Change Direction card and your KE 2 maneuver. In this case, you play the Change Direction card in the First Movement Step, and drift using the 2-4 Drift ruler. In the Second Movement Step, you use your chosen KE2 maneuver. It doesn't matter what maneuver you've selected, you always drift based on your KE, but before the maneuver is executed.

PS: If you don't have a high enough Acceleration Rating, or are damaged, you have to rotate your ship to be back facing the same direction you are moving in order to slow down and maneuver. IE: If rotated at KE 6 in a Heavy Raider, you can't use a Change Direction card at all. With an Acceleration Rating of 2, you have to slow down to KE 4 first. To do that, you have to get your ship pointed in the same direction as your Inertial Movement, and plan to decelerate.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-01-2020 at 22:07.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

First Turn, KE 2, planning to rotate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotation01.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	286707

End of First Movement Step, Ship has moved 2, and rotated:

Name:	Rotation02.png 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	286708

Second Turn, Start of First Movement Step, Inertial Movement of KE2:

Name:	Rotation03.png 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	286709

End of First Movement Step, moved KE2:

Name:	Rotation04.png 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	286710

Start of Third Turn, Planned Change Direction, with a KE 3 Turn. First Movement Step is the Drift and rotating the base to match the ship's previous turn's rotated heading:

Name:	Rotation05.png 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	286711

Third Turn, Second Movement Step, the ship moves on the maneuver card using the third arrow:

Name:	Rotation06.png 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	286712

The ship is now free to plan maneuvers as normal, with Overboosts or regular maneuvers.

While the ship is rotated, you can't use the main engines for any type of maneuvers. Maintain the KE from the previous turn, and rotate as planned each turn. You can go out of the playing area, or hit planetoids or asteroids, if you don't change your direction of travel. The only two ways to do that is to use a Change Direction card as shown above, or rotate your ship's heading back to the direction of travel, and plan maneuvers from there (On the following turn, because you can't do anything else but straights while rotated!).

PS: Just noticed that I used a Raider Change Direction card (with 2G), instead of the Viper card (with 0G). Ooops.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-02-2020 at 00:25.
    Mike

Mike

Similar Missions

1. Energy Cubes
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-19-2019, 12:09
  2. KE (Kinetic Energy) Explained
    By BronzeSparrow in forum BSG: Rules Help/Stats
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-21-2019, 11:53
  3. KE (Kinetic Energy) Explained
    By BronzeSparrow in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 13