Ares Games
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2020 Hobby Bench

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Love a restoration project, well done! It must be because I am old and in need of one soon! : )

I think I have a Tamaya (sp) 1:48 kit of that that has a lead plug cast into the cockpit seat to keep it on all three wheels! Great aircraft too!
    In fact it was a Tamiya kit build I saw online that I patterned after!

Nice job on the restoration. Starting to think on pulling out some of my 20 and 30 year old armies and touching them up even if I no longer play them any more.Started with my Warmaster and Battlefleet Gothic armies a year or two back and some 15mm Napoleonics last year. Looking at my old version 1 Warmachine and Hordes stuff when I was a pressganger back in the early 2000's. Then my old 80's/90's WRG 7th/DBA/DBM 15mm stuff could use a loving touch. followed by 3rd edition Warhammer 40K armies (squats first of course) and same era Warhammer fantasy stuff. .....yeh...right.

Have some WoG planes still needing paint, 3 Bolt action armies still on sprues for E-bay, just got some more SoL 3's and Schooners for my Black seas fleets, Finishing up Jagers stuff, started around 20 other figs for a guy tonight, and am expecting a box with more Bolt action stuff any day now for a regular (on top of a replacement part from warlords 6 Weeks over due and some sails from them 4 weeks overdue)....sigh......maybe someday

My first go at a metal kit, Skytrex Dh2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dh2 1.jpg   dh2 2.jpg   dh2 3.jpg  

Nice one Mick. That should put the fear into an Eindecker.

Thanks guys

Lottsa painting here today, two zones each left to paint a lovely English Ivy Green, irony?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200524_155708.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	287842

Name:	20200524_155719.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	287843

Outstanding as normal.

Been busy around here the last few days putting in the garden...and flowers....and cat litter bucket gardens....pond plants.....sigh. Wife is complaining on how sore she is now...I ain't saying a word, safer that way. Sad thing is yesterday she was pulling a 40 pound bag of mulch off a little handcart and it popped up and the handle hit her in the face. Now yes she is over 60, and yes I had been humping the damn things all day also, I was just planting things across the yard when it happened. Now she has a shiner and I am dreading co workers of hers thinking I am a wife beater (a couple of years ago we went to the hospital when she had stomach pains and they kept asking her if I beat her right in front of me...NO... I do not beat my wife, but that nurse came pretty close that day) Did get a commission done today though, now to box it.

Guess what they are, HINT...Old school GW stuff...and yes, the banners were requested to be left grey.

Name:	100_7034.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	287847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7036.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	287848

Quote Originally Posted by tigerops View Post
    My first go at a metal kit, Skytrex Dh2
    That looks really good! Very impressive!

Shadowcat,

Awesome figures! Reminds me of my younger days playing Warhammer!

Yeh Dan, still have boxes of armies from 20 or 30 years ago sitting on shelves, and yes, I have a Squat army still. Matter of fact, maybe after finishing up my current project, and some more Black seas ships, may bring them out and refurbish them. Painting skills are better now and if I go away the wife should get more for them at the stadium sized garage sale she will have.

Mick, outstanding DH 2, Only thing I might do different was to use a dullcoat finish and maybe dust it up a bit. Never got into the glossy enamel look though I understand it is sort of tradition for some historical players (mainly Napoleonic figures over 35 years old)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 05-24-2020 at 23:27.

Ahh.. great work, Ken.
    Sorry to hear about your wife's mishap. I hope the office interrogations don't upset her more.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Now we get serious . . .

Name:	20200525_155516.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	287861

Name:	20200525_155458.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	287862

Good thing I don't have peeping neighbors around here . . .

Now we get serious . . .
    A tiny island nation somewhere is in danger?

Just finished some of your planes Daryl. Should have photos up tomorrow. Hope I do them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Outstanding as normal.

Been busy around here the last few days putting in the garden...and flowers....and cat litter bucket gardens....pond plants.....sigh. Wife is complaining on how sore she is now...I ain't saying a word, safer that way. Sad thing is yesterday she was pulling a 40 pound bag of mulch off a little handcart and it popped up and the handle hit her in the face. Now yes she is over 60, and yes I had been humping the damn things all day also, I was just planting things across the yard when it happened. Now she has a shiner and I am dreading co workers of hers thinking I am a wife beater (a couple of years ago we went to the hospital when she had stomach pains and they kept asking her if I beat her right in front of me...NO... I do not beat my wife, but that nurse came pretty close that day) Did get a commission done today though, now to box it.
    I understand the need for the hospital protocols but they can be comical at times. Broke a couple of ribs on Saturday and had to go to the ER. They asked me if I felt safe at home and if I was abused, verbally or physically. Meanwhile my wife is standing right there with a big smirk on her face. The nurse leaves and my wife says - don’t forget, the day ain’t over yet! So now I’m laughing with broken ribs. That was the real abuse. I call out that I’d like to change my answer Please!

Fully understand Jeff. but do they have to take such pleasure in it??? And some of them really do think all married guys beat their wives, at least the ones who can not find a husband...smile.

Finally painted 3 Lysanders I've had sitting around for about 5 years or more. The first is painted as a 309 (Polish) Army co-op Squadron aircraft from around 1942

The other two are from 161 (Special Duties) Squadron, the all-black one dating from August 1943 (with the same markings as the Shuttleworth Collection example)

the second from June 1944, the only SD Lysander known to have worn invasion stripes on the fuselage but not on the wings

All models are from HBM, the SD Lysanders have scratch-built tanks and ladders from N Gauge signal gantry ladders. All decals from Shed models. These are a real b****r to apply as they need a white base decal overlaid with the main decal and are a swine to line up.

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Clipper, are you planning an invasion! Really awesome looking! Steve, love the planes. All I have gotten done recently is some bad sunburn!

Incredible effort from the Zeppelin Works!

Steve, those Lysanders are great. Too bad they are no longer available.

Now we get serious . . .

Yeah, some Karen would probably mistake them for bombs and try to get you SWATted as a "terrorist" or something...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Here are some of the last few I have done this month. First up some IRAS S-16's and a Lebed XII.

Name:	IMG_8956.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	287892

Name:	IMG_8958.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	287893

Name:	IMG_8960.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	287894

Name:	IMG_8961.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	287895

Name:	IMG_8963.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	287896

All are Shapeways with MISCMINI decals. All are RAF (Daryl) models.

Bob, your Russian air force must be getting large. We'll have to get them on the table at a convention.

In progress:
    Reduced Aircraft Factory design @ shapeways

Name:	n23_shapeways.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	287897

Name:	n23russianempire.jpg 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	287898

macro pic pretty unforgiving close-up lol. Looking better in person (2 coats of gloss sealer before painting)

Name:	00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200526132223170_COVER.jpg 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	287899
    Last edited by malachi; 05-31-2020 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Clipper, are you planning an invasion!
    Dan; haven't you ever read H.G. Wells "War in the Air"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_in_the_Air

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The IRAS is getting pretty big. Now for some different French planes. First up a Caudron R11, ESC 46.

Name:	IMG_8964.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	287900

Name:	IMG_8966.jpg 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	287901

Name:	IMG_8967.jpg 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	287902

More Shapeways by our own RAD (Daryl) and MISCMINI decals.

Chris, that's a pretty Nieuport. Can't wait to see it completed.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Here is another I did last week. A Brandenburg W 19 by Jbmacek from in here.

Name:	IMG_8973.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	287904

Name:	IMG_8974.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	287905

Name:	IMG_8976.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	287906

In the Aeronaut book I have there is a color plate of a Rumpler 6B that has a camo pattern so I thought I would do something like that on this plane.
    Last edited by BobP; 05-26-2020 at 14:33.

I have it in my collection. Have not read it yet. Maybe I need to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Dan; haven't you ever read H.G. Wells "War in the Air"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_in_the_Air

Karl

Bob, those are wonderful looking!

Thanks Dan. Here is the next one to post. Here is a Donnet-Denhaut DD-8, three man crew. This is a RAF (Daryl) model. I see that almost all the flying boats I have seen color plates of are all with a brown body. I went in a different direction to have something different.

Name:	IMG_8969.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	287907

Name:	IMG_8970.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	287908

An addition to go with the Hanroit HD2's I did.

Bob, is the Brandenburg a W-12 or a W-19?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Sorry I missed saying it is a W-19. Made the correction. Have to watch out for that 20mm it carries.
    Last edited by BobP; 05-26-2020 at 14:42.

Here is one of the last planes I did so far this month. They are DFW C V's by RAF. Again in the Aeronauts book on DFW aircraft there are color plates with different camo schemes. The one is just a green and oxford blue. The other was something I thought looked different then the usual German camo scheme.

Name:	IMG_8978.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	287909

Name:	IMG_8982.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	287910

Name:	IMG_8985.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	287911
    I thought this was something different.

Name:	IMG_8981.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	287912

I have one plane left to do so I may get that done by the end of the month.

Bob, all of those are gorgeous

Thanks, Robert. I made the decals, now to seal the thing yet again...

Chris can't wait to see the finished Nieuport. Mine are nothing special.

Super job on all of those, Bob! Especially nice to see attention to the "forgotten fronts" like Eastern and Italy/AH and to the naval war.

Daryl, I like to do different planes or areas not normally seen. That R-11 is something really different that I am sure you will not see much of. I still have one of yours to finish up so you may see it by the end of this month.

I just finished up a pair of these. One for me and one for Von Scharf. Sorry Bill, you no longer have the only Bolle Fokker D.VII.

Name:	Bolle2h.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	287914

There are some great planes, really like the Lysander

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I’m like a little kid waiting at the mailbox for my secret decoder ring to arrive! Oh boy oh boy.

Jeff I have played in many of Peters games and used his planes. You are getting an outstanding model from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I just finished up a pair of these. One for me and one for Von Scharf...
    They look sharp Peter, nicely done

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Jeff I have played in many of Peters games and used his planes. You are getting an outstanding model from him.
    I'm thinking about starting a new type of collection. Not particular aircraft, paint schemes, Jastas or the such... I'm going to call my collection:

GREAT WORKS FROM THE MASTER ARTISTS OF THE 'DROME
    Featuring notable Masters such as:

Teaticket = check!
    Oberst Hajj = check!
    Flying Helmut = Hurry up and retire already, so you can paint those 500 planes and sell me a MASTERPIECE
    ShadowDragon = Stop painting 50 planes a week so you can squeeze one in for moi
    Gallo Rojo = you live in a far away land, but damn can you paint
    Sir Not Appearing in this Film - don't be slighted if you weren't on the initial list. I just made this crap up on the spot.

You know what they say: Those that can... do. Those that can't... talk a bunch of smack and create outlandish sounding collections

It must be Scotch-thirty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Partizan 2020 17 May 2020
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-25-2020, 08:01
  2. What's on your bench for December?
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 14:07
  3. What's on your bench for November?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 02:29
  4. What does your work/hobby bench look like?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 08:20
  5. What's on your bench?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 12:57